Geriatrics at the game

I fought in Korea, dammit, and I'll sit quietly and thoughtfully if I want.
eVEwxRf.jpg

Is it possible — speaking theoretically, of course; don't panic, now — to enjoy a football game (or a dinner with friends, or a party, or an evening at home) without using a phone?
Yes, and it’s awesome. I don’t think my generation knows what it’s like. My Dad made sure us kids didn’t get a cell phone until we were over the age of 16. And it wasn’t a smartphone. I didn’t get one of those until I was 18. When we’d be out to dinner, my Dad made sure none of us were on our phones. Family get togethers, we were all expected to keep our phones away and socialize with family. I was raised pretty conservatively, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I don’t have Facebook or Twitter.

Well don't worry, us older guys will be dying off so you can replace us with some younger ones. Will be a pretty good drop off from our generation at some point soon.

All I can say to young pups - enjoy your life and live it up to the fullest.

Your time is coming when your equipment doesn't work quite well.
?

There was a wonderful photo op for me while walking up to TCF for the PSU game. Eight or nine student types were rapidly working there way towards the student gate dressed to the nines in Gopher gear, bobing and weaving through the cross traffic. Every one of them was on his or her smart phone! Priceless. The irony was that because I do not own a smart phone and would not have had it out even if I did, I was not able to capture the moment so I could post it now.

How many times do you hit the head?

Zero times. There are several reasons that it wasn't necessary:

1) I'm old and experienced, so I know enough to plan ahead and go before the game.

2) I love beer, but I don't overindulge.

3) I'm fortunate in that my prostate is still in fighting trim, despite my age. I have a theory that regular exercise helps with this, but it's not a scientific fact (as far as I know).

In short, I'd rather watch the game than stand in long lines — or stare at my phone.

I've had season tickets since 2012.

Thank you for coming on board 2012. Been on the train since 77 and always welcome new crew. I do all the things you young folks do and lived through numerous derailments. Gave more than a few bucks along the way to satisfy my passion for Golden Gopher football. It is a welcome sight to see the crowd stand and go crazy because it is exciting, I am thankful I can do all that too for now. Just all of you understand where we are coming from and maybe drink a couple less beers and bring your kids too. I will say we deserve to be there too and we will all start to fade away hopefully not before a Rose bowl after winning the BIG championship. I have a feeling you will not be waiting decades, I would say just a couple years.

There was a wonderful photo op for me while walking up to TCF for the PSU game. Eight or nine student types were rapidly working there way towards the student gate dressed to the nines in Gopher gear, bobing and weaving through the cross traffic. Every one of them was on his or her smart phone! Priceless. The irony was that because I do not own a smart phone and would not have had it out even if I did, I was not able to capture the moment so I could post it now.
Those dang students! What do we need them for anyway? And wearing Gopher gear? Everyone knows sensible people dress in monochrome. Those smart phones are tools of the devil designed for soul stealin' I tell you hwhat.

Thank you for coming on board 2012. Been on the train since 77 and always welcome new crew. I do all the things you young folks do and lived through numerous derailments. Gave more than a few bucks along the way to satisfy my passion for Golden Gopher football. It is a welcome sight to see the crowd stand and go crazy because it is exciting, I am thankful I can do all that too for now. Just all of you understand where we are coming from and maybe drink a couple less beers and bring your kids too. I will say we deserve to be there too and we will all start to fade away hopefully not before a Rose bowl after winning the BIG championship. I have a feeling you will not be waiting decades, I would say just a couple years.

I'm overall a believer there is room for all fans.

On a serious note. GameDay and the Wisconsin game totally overloaded data service around the stadium. Fortunately texts were still getting through but no luck checking the internet while tailgating and while I think selfies are easy to make fun of, taking photos at a game and sharing them with friends is part of the organic marketing that helps grow a fan base. I know Nebraska did a big electronic renovation around their stadium to make sure that there 90,000 fans can tweet, chat, etc... during the games. If 50K fans around the stadium becomes the new norm, I think the U will need to take some action as well.

This. coverage at the Stadium is harsh at best, nonexistent at worse. I don't stick my nose in my phone while at the game, but it'd be nice to keep an eye on other scores, or a text from one of my kids saying the house is burning down...

This. coverage at the Stadium is harsh at best, nonexistent at worse. I don't stick my nose in my phone while at the game, but it'd be nice to keep an eye on other scores, or a text from one of my kids saying the house is burning down...

There's also the general community aspect.

We WANT fans sending pics to friends and such of good times at TCF.

I'm always amused at the instigram fan pics thing that pops up on the video board at games where ... dude I can't get a signal, what do you want me to do again!?!?!

Zero times. There are several reasons that it wasn't necessary:

1) I'm old and experienced, so I know enough to plan ahead and go before the game.

2) I love beer, but I don't overindulge.

3) I'm fortunate in that my prostate is still in fighting trim, despite my age. I have a theory that regular exercise helps with this, but it's not a scientific fact (as far as I know).

In short, I'd rather watch the game than stand in long lines — or stare at my phone.
Down a prostate that kept me from SDSU. Tix got used though which was great. Greatly enjoyed the other 6 games, 1 very much so and 1 very less so.

In the 90s in the Dump I was warned by an usher not to make so much noise during a game.
No profanities or obscenities just cheering, that was not the MN way.

On a serious note. GameDay and the Wisconsin game totally overloaded data service around the stadium. Fortunately texts were still getting through but no luck checking the internet while tailgating and while I think selfies are easy to make fun of, taking photos at a game and sharing them with friends is part of the organic marketing that helps grow a fan base. I know Nebraska did a big electronic renovation around their stadium to make sure that there 90,000 fans can tweet, chat, etc... during the games. If 50K fans around the stadium becomes the new norm, I think the U will need to take some action as well.
Having been in wireless, it completely depends on the carrier's ability or desire to add temp sites (COWs) to help with the increased traffic.

With recent success I'm hoping the gophers can continue to attract new and younger fans. In years past I've found myself in a quiet stadium with people sitting politely and watching the game. While I'm grateful they've spent money on gophers, if your aim is to sit quietly in a church like manner and don't want people around to get disrupt you because you need your own space and want people to watch the game the way you do, sitting and quiet, maybe you're best served watching from home. I personally feel when opponents are facing third down, you should stand, cheer make noise...Try to disrupt the offense and I think home team feeds off energy. Remember, cheer leading and 12th man STARTED with Minnesota.

It was a blast yelling, cheering, and being on your feet for games vs PSU and Wi. Crowd was electric (Granted, life got sucked out of stadium vs Wi as we started lose and badger fans took over). I hope we can have more of these enivornments to give us a true home field advantage. And while drinking is part of football game culture, hopefully we can find a balance between energetic without being offensive
No one would probably care if fans stood when an opponent faces a crucial third down. But for the whole game, I don't know. Perhaps we should have built the stadium like the old English soccer stadiums, terraced concrete with no seats. Everyone stood for the whole game. It would surely limit the access for the frail among us however. As of the second underline above, I think that there is a way to find a balance, but not everyone will be happy with that either. Go Gophers!

I don't mind people standing up and cheering on a good play. However, when I bring my grand kids, it will be nice and courteous if folks don't stand up the whole game.

My biggest problem is the foul language and drunkenness. I think in future games, maybe bring them to preseason and to games against against lower echelon teams where the crowd may be a little docile.

My daughter has decided it is best not to bring them until they are much older.

The fact that both PSU and UW were cold, November games contributed to the flip to the standing default for both games. Most folks (but not all) feel warmer when standing.

For our experiment going into next year, we'll have our first B1G West/Rival test with I-O-W-A on September 19th. Very good chance of being hot on the Visitors Side.

Will the default be standing or sitting for this one? Might be a good poll in September.

Progress.

So I was in section 243 for the Wisconsin game. There was an elderly gentleman and his wife that were sitting behind me during the game. Now I’m a large man, 6’7” tall. I could tell that these two poor souls were miserable at the game with the cold temperatures and poor weather. So I did the Christian thing for them and used my elite frame to block the winds and falling precipitation by standing the entire game so they would not be affected by these conditions. These two folks, not one time, said thank you to me.

I guess when you prefer to sit for a good part of a game instead of standing for the entire event.

Definitely varies from fan to fan.

Top Bottom