Geriatrics at the game

salzie

Reaction score
With recent success I'm hoping the gophers can continue to attract new and younger fans. In years past I've found myself in a quiet stadium with people sitting politely and watching the game. While I'm grateful they've spent money on gophers, if your aim is to sit quietly in a church like manner and don't want people around to get disrupt you because you need your own space and want people to watch the game the way you do, sitting and quiet, maybe you're best served watching from home. I personally feel when opponents are facing third down, you should stand, cheer make noise...Try to disrupt the offense and I think home team feeds off energy. Remember, cheer leading and 12th man STARTED with Minnesota.

It was a blast yelling, cheering, and being on your feet for games vs PSU and Wi. Crowd was electric (Granted, life got sucked out of stadium vs Wi as we started lose and badger fans took over). I hope we can have more of these enivornments to give us a true home field advantage. And while drinking is part of football game culture, hopefully we can find a balance between energetic without being offensive

The younger generations have always failed to understand the older generations and the way they were raised. When I attended games in the 1960's making noise while the other team had the ball was absolutely rude and bad sportsmanship. Part of being young has always included thinking you have invented all human thoughts, ideas and experiences. Just as one example, who do you think built TCF? Who spoke at the hearings, demanded a change, raised the money, wrote the members of the legislature, litterally created the demand, got it done? Did you do those things?

Having a great home field advantage is nice, but it almost sounds like you are ready to kick Sid Hartman out the door too. Cmon Salzie!

With recent success I'm hoping the gophers can continue to attract new and younger fans. In years past I've found myself in a quiet stadium with people sitting politely and watching the game. While I'm grateful they've spent money on gophers, if your aim is to sit quietly in a church like manner and don't want people around to get disrupt you because you need your own space and want people to watch the game the way you do, sitting and quiet, maybe you're best served watching from home. I personally feel when opponents are facing third down, you should stand, cheer make noise...Try to disrupt the offense and I think home team feeds off energy. Remember, cheer leading and 12th man STARTED with Minnesota.

It was a blast yelling, cheering, and being on your feet for games vs PSU and Wi. Crowd was electric (Granted, life got sucked out of stadium vs Wi as we started lose and badger fans took over). I hope we can have more of these enivornments to give us a true home field advantage. And while drinking is part of football game culture, hopefully we can find a balance between energetic without being offensive

Someone doesn't think and act like I do, therefore they are wrong.

Wow... you were 'yelling and cheering', rather than staring into your phone and taking selfies?

I guess your battery must have gone dead.

:rolleyes:

The younger generations have always failed to understand the older generations and the way they were raised. When I attended games in the 1960's making noise while the other team had the ball was absolutely rude and bad sportsmanship. Part of being young has always included thinking you have invented all human thoughts, ideas and experiences. Just as one example, who do you think built TCF? Who spoke at the hearings, demanded a change, raised the money, wrote the members of the legislature, litterally created the demand, got it done? Did you do those things?

I think it was the aliens

Having a great home field advantage is nice, but it almost sounds like you are ready to kick Sid Hartman out the door too. Cmon Salzie!

My thread was mostly parody

My group includes an old grumpy baby boomer and we all have a lot of fun

My thread was mostly parody

My group includes an old grumpy baby boomer and we all have a lot of fun

My reply was parody as well. My kids and my step-kids are millennials and they are the greatest people I know... smart, hard-working, respectful.

:)

Wow... you were 'yelling and cheering', rather than staring into your phone and taking selfies?

I guess your battery must have gone dead.

:rolleyes:

On a serious note. GameDay and the Wisconsin game totally overloaded data service around the stadium. Fortunately texts were still getting through but no luck checking the internet while tailgating and while I think selfies are easy to make fun of, taking photos at a game and sharing them with friends is part of the organic marketing that helps grow a fan base. I know Nebraska did a big electronic renovation around their stadium to make sure that there 90,000 fans can tweet, chat, etc... during the games. If 50K fans around the stadium becomes the new norm, I think the U will need to take some action as well.

I've take one selfie, and that was when I rushed the field for PSU

It was horrible, I wasn't even smiling (which is odd I was elated) and few people teased me..My response was I was there to enjoy the moment, I took few quick photos and a selfie that I didn't worry about getting a good picture. After taking 1/2 dozen pics or so, my phone was in my pocket

Salzie. How long have you been attending Gopher football.

Nebraska's wifi is awesome. It also cost $12.3 million.

Fortunately I am tied into the press wifi at games so I have great service

Nebraska's wifi is awesome. It also cost $12.3 million.

Fortunately I am tied into the press wifi at games so I have great service

I don't know what happened but for the Wisc game the cell reception was WAY better than the Penn St game.

I'm guessing they rolled out some temporary towers for cell service ... would like them to do that more often.

I don't know what happened but for the Wisc game the cell reception was WAY better than the Penn St game.

I'm guessing they rolled out some temporary towers for cell service ... would like them to do that more often.

I'm guessing you have Verizon? My buddy's Verizon data was fine while my Sprint data was dead. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

I'm guessing you have Verizon? My buddy's Verizon data was fine while my Sprint data was dead. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
I had Verizon and had no data before or during the game.

It's amazing that us old folks can get through an entire game without once taking our phones from our pockets.

Google Fi... so that's a weird combo of Sprint, T-moible, and US Cellular (in some areas).

So really any one of them could have provided some towers (or the U for those given providers)) and I would have seen the benefit. I wasn't peeking at what provider I was on during the game so I don't know.

Is it possible — speaking theoretically, of course; don't panic, now — to enjoy a football game (or a dinner with friends, or a party, or an evening at home) without using a phone?

Top Bottom