Geriatrics at the game

I honestly don't care if the crowd is standing most of the game or not. If everyone is standing all the time, I'll take the load off for a few minutes during the endless media timeouts. It doesn't bother me one way or the other. I'll always stand, yell and jump like a little girl on big plays.

As some others mentioned, I think the bad weather influenced everyone standing last Saturday. At PSU, the crowd was just as into it but people in my section sat down during timeouts and some 1st down type plays when the Gophs had the ball. People just haven't been used to big Gopher games the last few decades. There have been very few actually, so the more stoic fans are gonna have to get used to bigger games, bigger crowds and more passionate fans in the future (I hope!).

As a side note, I had student season basketball tickets when I was a grad student in the late 1990s when the barn was rocking. Back then, the student section was packed belly button to a-hole (as my drill instructor used to say) and all the students would not only stand up, but they would stand on top of the benches darn near tippy toe. I was already about 30 by then and thought that kind of standing really sucked. Those games wore me out but the atmosphere was rockin!

No one would probably care if fans stood when an opponent faces a crucial third down. But for the whole game, I don't know. Perhaps we should have built the stadium like the old English soccer stadiums, terraced concrete with no seats. Everyone stood for the whole game. It would surely limit the access for the frail among us however. As of the second underline above, I think that there is a way to find a balance, but not everyone will be happy with that either. Go Gophers!

I've been told to sit down before when I stood during third down

:clap:

Man, I leave for a couple days and return to two threads on “Gerri’s” vs Gen Zzz. Let’s be honest, this is the kind of entertainment we come here for. Stubbornness, surliness, silliness.

Better than the thong thread?

When I attended games in the 1960's making noise while the other team had the ball was absolutely rude and bad sportsmanship.

So you are telling me the last time the Gophers went to the Rose Bowl it wasn't even fun? :unsure:

So you are telling me the last time the Gophers went to the Rose Bowl it wasn't even fun? :unsure:

No, I did not say or imply that. My first Gopher game was as a 21 year old (?), I think against Utah in about 66 or 67. I just sat and watched the game, loved every second of it. Probably stood up a time or four on an exciting play. We clapped and yelled. No booing at all except maybe, maybe at the refs. I still won't boo the other team ever. I was no where near the student section so I do not know what they were doing.

Who built the stadium you younger guys are woofing about? Fleck would not even be here without us old guys having insisted upon that huge step forward.

The younger generations have always failed to understand the older generations and the way they were raised. When I attended games in the 1960's making noise while the other team had the ball was absolutely rude and bad sportsmanship. Part of being young has always included thinking you have invented all human thoughts, ideas and experiences. Just as one example, who do you think built TCF? Who spoke at the hearings, demanded a change, raised the money, wrote the members of the legislature, litterally created the demand, got it done? Did you do those things?

Why would someone that has been supporting the Gophers for 7 decades create an account on Gopherhole 3 weeks ago as they were getting popular?

Anyone that has been around supporting the program that long was either already on here or actively ignoring this community.

And yes, the young people buying tickets are donating just like you are. The students are still paying for the stadium as part of their tuition fees. The people standing and cheering are also paying season ticket donations.

I can afford to buy nicer seats than I do, but actively avoid them because I hate sitting around the old men in half empty sections. If you want to define the culture then fill the stands with your friends.

As it is, your sections are almost always half-empty and everyone here knows why.

You ask many questions: 5 decades plus. Because I felt like it. Yes, if you were to actually read my comments above you would see that I have on no less than six occasions (including the first post of this thread) made it very, very clear that I have absolutely no objection with people standing and cheering. Just sit some too so the older, shorter, more infirm, children, etc. can see at least part of the game and band as well. Please sit in any section you want. When TCF was being debated before the state legislature, how far did you drive to attend? How many meetings did you attend? I know how often you spoke up for the stadium at those hearings because no one else from the community spoke except for me. (I was careful not to tell them I did not even live in MN at that time). I spoke twice when the DFL was saying, like you above, how the stadium would only be for "the fatcat Gopher Fans" (what they meant to say was the Old, Rich Gopher F--ts). And unless you have been a season ticket holder for three people for the full ten years we have been paying for the stadium "you" have not paid for anywhere near what I have paid, let alone the other thousands of older Gopher fans have paid over all, all of those years. I put "you" in quotes above because though I paid entirely for every penny of my own education I have heard that many of you younger guys and gals have your tuition paid for by your parents, not by you yourself. As I have said many times, in many formats, on many sites for many years that IMHO the Gophers have 10,000 of the very best fans in college football precisely because we mostly older fans travelled the road throughout all those years, good, bad and more bad. Had we not been in those seats there never would have been a new stadium at all. Why build a stadium if there is no demand? So unless you have travelled that road with us, stop making a fool out of yourself by running your mouth about being a great fan. It is like criticizing old war veterans for being old and that they should stand up or get the heck out of "your" country. We are all happy to have you join our parade and our team. Just act like an adult now that you are sitting with adults and not just standing with children. OK? :)

Last edited:

I’m in the “sit your *** down” camp if it isn’t a big play/series/down. There’s no reason to stand through all or even most of a game. Common sense. Chronic abusers should get the boot. There are selfish, rude people everywhere.

I also think an entitlement mentality at any age is a bad look. If you don’t like the rules (or lack of them regarding use of seating/perpetual standers), lobby for a change in the rules.

The truly disabled should be able to qualify for accessible seating areas in the same way placards are available for handicapped parking for people with cardio/pulmonary or ambulatory issues.

Who built the stadium you younger guys are woofing about? Fleck would not even be here without us old guys having insisted upon that huge step forward.

Most all of the "younger guys" here certainly remember the Dome days and the push for TCF. I had season tickets throughout the Mason era as a student and alum and cried while standing in the first row for the Air Force game.

If by built you mean "paid for", I'm sure you have heard the statistics on millennial wealth and how it's a hard boat to row for our generation -- and all generations when they are younger. If by built you mean literally, built the structure...that was mostly young dudes.

Sounds like he got to you.

For addicts it is always, always about the addiction. By attacking his addiction I have earned his endless, unlimited rath.

For addicts it is always, always about the addiction. By attacking his addiction I have earned his endless, unlimited rath.

While I am sure you are not a physician, I am also sure you know you cannot diagnose somebody over the internet from a thread based on your laziness to not stand up. So, no. You have no evidence of an addiction. What you see here is a conversation where you angered somebody because they feel your injustice. And, no. I don't need to do anything but read this thread and your repeated nonsense to know how justified it is.

You ask many questions: 5 decades plus. Because I felt like it. Yes, if you were to actually read my comments above you would see that I have on no less than six occasions (including the first post of this thread) made it very, very clear that I have absolutely no objection with people standing and cheering. Just sit some too so the older, shorter, more infirm, children, etc. can see at least part of the game and band as well. Please sit in any section you want. When TCF was being debated before the state legislature, how far did you drive to attend? How many meetings did you attend? I know how often you spoke up for the stadium at those hearings because no one else from the community spoke except for me. (I was careful not to tell them I did not even live in MN at that time). I spoke twice when the DFL was saying, like you above, how the stadium would only be for "the fatcat Gopher Fans" (what they meant to say was the Old, Rich Gopher F--ts). And unless you have been a season ticket holder for three people for the full ten years we have been paying for the stadium "you" have not paid for anywhere near what I have paid, let alone the other thousands of older Gopher fans have paid over all, all of those years. I put "you" in quotes above because though I paid entirely for every penny of my own education I have heard that many of you younger guys and gals have your tuition paid for by your parents, not by you yourself. As I have said many times, in many formats, on many sites for many years that IMHO the Gophers have 10,000 of the very best fans in college football precisely because we mostly older fans travelled the road throughout all those years, good, bad and more bad. Had we not been in those seats there never would have been a new stadium at all. Why build a stadium if there is no demand? So unless you have travelled that road with us, stop making a fool out of yourself by running your mouth about being a great fan. It is like criticizing old war veterans for being old and that they should stand up or get the heck out of "your" country. We are all happy to have you join our parade and our team. Just act like an adult now that you are sitting with adults and not just standing with children. OK? :)
The infirmed have designated seating up front and don't have to sit behind people standing. That has been policy and lawful access for decades before the stadium was build. Note, this was done at the dome and it is done at TCF. So, your concern about the 'infirmed' is nonsensical BS.

While I am sure you are not a physician, I am also sure you know you cannot diagnose somebody over the internet from a thread based on your laziness to not stand up. So, no. You have no evidence of an addiction. What you see here is a conversation where you angered somebody because they feel your injustice. And, no. I don't need to do anything but read this thread and your repeated nonsense to know how justified it is.

Funny. First the first line, then the last line. You be funny.

74, why is that important to you and several others? Just curious.

Your language usage is not that of a 74 year old, but that of a 20 - 30 year old person. I don't buy into your age. Post a picture of yourself. I would love to be proven wrong.

And once again, a Gopher Hole thread deteriorates into an argument over who is a better fan. The Gophers need all the fans they can get. Sitting, Standing, watching from home, watching on the internet from overseas, buying Gopher merchandise, etc.

If you are an older fan, I fully understand how you might not be thrilled with the idea of Gopher games shifting to a younger, louder, standing and drinking crowd, because it's not what you're used to.

And, if you are a younger fan, I understand how you might think that your group is driving the energy at home games and have a right to cheer as you like.

But, you are all Gopher fans. All of you. you at least have that in common.

In a weird way, this is a problem caused by the team's success. In the Dome days, you could walk up 5 minutes before kickoff, buy a ticket and sit (I said sit) wherever you wanted. All of a sudden, the team is winning and there have been a few sell-outs. the situation is changing, and some people deal with change better than others. Please try to have a little empathy and understanding for the 'other side.'

Your language usage is not that of a 74 year old, but that of a 20 - 30 year old person. I don't buy into your age. Post a picture of yourself. I would love to be proven wrong.

How would a picture prove anything in that I could post any picture. I do know the meaning of the word "malarky".!DSC03036.JPG

Last edited:

When I watch Gopher football on television, at home...I always sit.

Must be a Gerri. :D

The tension of the moment will make me stand for big moments, and my yelling scares the dog. She refuses to come in the house during a game. Fortunately I don’t have an octogenarian (in age or spirit) asking me to sit down as has occurred at TCF. I’ve been at games where I wondered if some of the fans were still alive.

Top Bottom