Garcia and Payne Sidelined for Tonight's Game vs. Indiana

GopherLady

Reaction score
If you didn't think this season could get tougher, press release from U of MN:

Gopher Men’s Basketball Without Garcia and Payne for Indiana Game

MINNEAPOLIS –
The University of Minnesota men’s basketball team will be without Dawson Garcia and Pharrel Payne tonight when the Golden Gophers host Indiana at 8 p.m.

Garcia is sidelined with a bone bruise, while Payne is in concussion protocol. Return to play for both athletes is to be determined. Braeden Carrington remains out with a stress reaction, announced last week.

Chances of a win went from 35% to 10% to 2%. Yikes.

If you didn't think this season could get tougher, press release from U of MN:

Gopher Men’s Basketball Without Garcia and Payne for Indiana Game

MINNEAPOLIS – The University of Minnesota men’s basketball team will be without Dawson Garcia and Pharrel Payne tonight when the Golden Gophers host Indiana at 8 p.m.

Garcia is sidelined with a bone bruise, while Payne is in concussion protocol. Return to play for both athletes is to be determined. Braeden Carrington remains out with a stress reaction, announced last week.
Short bench gets shorter. Game rusty players get court time. Playing 40 minutes, for some, not an option. BJ trust in players exposed. Indiana wins.

Good grief. The one player I am tuning in to watch is Henley. It is time for him to step up, gain confidence, take care of the ball and knock down some shots. I can't see making the trip to the Barn for this one.

This might be another reason, in the portal age, where you use all of your scholarships every single year.

Yikes!

That just made my decision whether or not to attend the game really easy.

Good grief. The one player I am tuning in to watch is Henley. It is time for him to step up, gain confidence, take care of the ball and knock down some shots. I can't see making the trip to the Barn for this one.

This might be another reason, in the portal age, where you use all of your scholarships every single year.
"Can't keep 13 guys happy."

It's getting to the point the primary objective of this team needs to become WIN A BIG TEN TOURNAMENT GAME. Bleed alluded to this in another thread.

Get as healthy as humanly possible for Weakling Wednesday, and gear up to win that game. If guys are banged up during the regular season, sit 'em. As Bleed said (paraphrasing), it would at least be something positive happening at the end of the season to carry into the 2023-24 season, even if all it is is "Making It to Thursday" in Chicago.

This.

It's getting to the point the primary objective of this team needs to become WIN A BIG TEN TOURNAMENT GAME. Bleed alluded to this in another thread.

Get as healthy as humanly possible for Weakling Wednesday, and gear up to win that game. If guys are banged up during the regular season, sit 'em. As Bleed said (paraphrasing), it would at least be something positive happrning at the end of the season to carry into 2023-24 season, even if it only means "Making It to Thursday".

This as well.

Yeah at the very least, why wouldn't one fill out the roster with a couple of 5th (or 6th) Year D2-D3/MIAC guys, looking to get a free year of education?

If nothing else would help in practice, and otherwise hope it never gets to an emergency where they have to play in games.

Quick question - at the conclusion of this season, Will MN BB have taken its allotment of lumps?

Well....

Indiana doesnt have their coach tonight. Does he count for a 50 pt swing?

I've been aiming for the year-after-next, as you know. But...now I'm starting to think that both Battle & Garcia might return next year.

Before the season started...I said I hoped they both somehow do poorly this year. Because they will both be great players next year if they have decent support.

Ben is capable of getting a great guard in the portal. We could be a force next year, seriously.

I've been aiming for the year-after-next, as you know. But...now I'm starting to think that both Battle & Garcia might return next year.

Before the season started...I said I hoped they both somehow do poorly this year. Because they will both be great players next year if they have decent support.

Ben is capable of getting a great guard in the portal. We could be a force next year, seriously.

A force?!?!?!?

giphy.gif

No excuse for keeping our key players like Battle, Garcia, Cooper late in blowout games like Purdue, IL, etc. Play Henley, TT, and Ramberg types and save the wear and tear on your key guys as best you can.

The close Michigan game teased Ben into playing extended minutes for his 5-6 guys. All available 8 scholarship guys should get 10-20 min tonight at least. With our poor shooting, Battle and TT may be our best 3 point options we have now. Ugh.

Spare Battle’s back. We need him healthy when the others return this season and we have “winnable” games.

So are we going to start to get coach speak of how they've been riddled with injuries and that's why the losses are piling up? At the very least, I'm guessing that will be part of the narrative in the offseason when they hope people forget they were terrible before the injuries.

I’m aware of that thanks.

However, Ben can play them if they want to at any point in the season, example - as in an emergency 🚨 like now and boy we need to find a few more wins along the way so the team doesn’t implode before next season - I don’t know if his playing will make a difference, no one does, but to save your “special place settings” for five years from now is inane at this juncture.
All hands on deck

So tonight we have
Samuels
Cooper
JOJ
Battle
Thompson
Henley
Ramburg
Purcell
At one point do we pull Betts red shirt?

Someone is going to have to step up on offense because you know Indiana is going to focus entire D on Battle.

Lots of minutes for the 2 healthy freshman and probably a heavy dose of TT as well. Probably going to be a long night.

Top Bottom