Garcia and Payne Sidelined for Tonight's Game vs. Indiana

We gave out all 13 scholarships this year.
Of course they always will. But they gave one to Ramburg. It wasn't being used. Add in Betts taking a scholarship for no reason and Ihnen and Fox and you started the season with 9 scholarship players. Now a couple more injuries and you're $%$ed. Terrible planning. Terrible roster management.

Of all the things Ben could get fired for that's about 1000 spots the list. Good grief dude. So if three dudes foul out we going 4x5? And Henley turns into Colin Sexton?

Yes.

If you think there is any chance in hell they burn a year of Betts to save a team that might go 1-19 in the BIG10 you really need your head examined.

IT WILL NOT HAPPEN.

There is a better chance I play in a game.

People complaining about not using all of our scholarships forget the scholarship filling duds that Pitino brought in....who hung around for four years clogging up the roster.

People complaining about not using all of our scholarships forget the scholarship filling duds that Pitino brought in....who hung around for four years clogging up the roster.

That clogged up roster was responsible for the most B1G wins in a season since Clem was here (11). Ben will need 3 seasons combined to get to 11 B1G wins, if he even gets there.

Of course they always will. But they gave one to Ramburg. It wasn't being used. Add in Betts taking a scholarship for no reason and Ihnen and Fox and you started the season with 9 scholarship players. Now a couple more injuries and you're $%$ed. Terrible planning. Terrible roster management.
By the time both Fox and Ihnen got hurt the portal was pretty dry of anything that would’ve helped. Fair to argue the trust in Cooper as a point guard though imo.

I think prep school helped JOJ quite a bit. Huntington prep has some good, high major players, several ranked around what Betts was, but most are JRs. Playing meaningful minutes, even off the bench, is better than not playing in a game for an entire season while riding the pine for one of the worst Gopher bball teams in history.

And if Betts couldn't be a good player for that team, then what is he doing eating up a B1G scholarship in the first place?
I’m sure he’d gotten minutes at Huntington. It might have been like JOJs minutes. Don’t think it’s a guarantee it’s better for development. I don’t think you can quantify that to be true. I thought redshirt years were incredibly valuable for kids along with sit out transfer years.

Yes.

If you think there is any chance in hell they burn a year of Betts to save a team that might go 1-19 in the BIG10 you really need your head examined.

IT WILL NOT HAPPEN.

There is a better chance I play in a game.
Can you make free throws?

What player did Pitino miss out on because he didn't have an open scholarship to offer them?

By the time both Fox and Ihnen got hurt the portal was pretty dry of anything that would’ve helped. Fair to argue the trust in Cooper as a point guard though imo.
Probably so, but that's why you don't sit on two open scholarships.

I’m sure he’d gotten minutes at Huntington. It might have been like JOJs minutes. Don’t think it’s a guarantee it’s better for development. I don’t think you can quantify that to be true. I thought redshirt years were incredibly valuable for kids along with sit out transfer years.

I think they can be, but those are typically for players who don't have any HS eligibility left. How many players have skipped their final year of HS bball to redshirt at a college and been successful? I've never even really heard of that happening until now.

That clogged up roster was responsible for the most B1G wins in a season since Clem was here (11). Ben will need 3 seasons combined to get to 11 B1G wins, if he even gets there.

So you'd rather have another Diedhiou over a five star recruit like Dennis Evans. Your takes on Gophers basketball and Ben Johnson continue to lose credibility.

What player did Pitino miss out on because he didn't have an open scholarship to offer them?

Over the course of four years? Probably quite a few guys that we could have used. How about McKinley Wright...off the top of my head.

I thought this story was interesting earlier this season and relevant to the Gophers predicament.

A UConn basketball game on the women's side was postponed because UConn didn't have enough players due to injuries.

That’s a more fair and honest critique. Don’t know many P5 rosters that could lose that many guys and still produce one though
But be honest, you look at who is available tonight and you tell me that D2 schools couldn’t win. Cooper & Samuels are slow, Battle would be a huge focus of the defense and JOJ can’t shoot. I think they would lose to a few top D2 teams.

Of all the things Ben could get fired for that's about 1000 spots the list. Good grief dude. So if three dudes foul out we going 4x5? And Henley turns into Colin Sexton?
It’s not fireable, but you absolutely play this game 4x5 if it came to it.

Before free transfer era.

If you didn't think this season could get tougher, press release from U of MN:

Gopher Men’s Basketball Without Garcia and Payne for Indiana Game

MINNEAPOLIS – The University of Minnesota men’s basketball team will be without Dawson Garcia and Pharrel Payne tonight when the Golden Gophers host Indiana at 8 p.m.

Garcia is sidelined with a bone bruise, while Payne is in concussion protocol. Return to play for both athletes is to be determined. Braeden Carrington remains out with a stress reaction, announced last week.
OH OH, NO GOOD!!!!

Lol now you're just making things up.

How so? I stated that I was against throwing a panic scholly at a warm body who might hang around for four years and hardly contribute. You downplayed that by saying that one of Pitino's teams won 11 games. Got it. So you don't see anything wrong with filling scholarships with players who may never contribute.

Maybe try reading and responding to my posts intelligently next time.

How so? I stated that I was against throwing a panic scholly at a warm body who might hang around for four years and hardly contribute. You downplayed that by saying that one of Pitino's teams won 11 games. Got it. So you don't see anything wrong with filling scholarships with players who may never contribute.

Maybe try reading and responding to my posts intelligently next time.

I don't have a problem not filling all of the scholarships or throwing one at a warm body when the rest of your roster is competent. We've had two straight years of rosters filled with duds, that's why this will be one of our worst two year stretches in history.

You should also probably consider using all of your scholarships when two of your players are coming off of major knee surgeries, and your freshman are longterm projects. There is also zero chance Diehdiou stays on the roster for 4 years with the transfer portal today.

But let's keep pretending it's still 1993, or even 2013 just to keep defending the coaching and roster construction malpractice we are currently witnessing. But hey Dennis Evans! He will dominate the B1G as a freshman even though he's not currently dominating for his 12-12 high school team.

Top Bottom