Garcia and Payne Sidelined for Tonight's Game vs. Indiana

I don't have a problem not filling all of the scholarships or throwing one at a warm body when the rest of your roster is competent. We've had two straight years of rosters filled with duds, that's why this will be one of our worst two year stretches in history.

You should also probably consider using all of your scholarships when two of your players are coming off of major knee surgeries, and your freshman are longterm projects. There is also zero chance Diehdiou stays on the roster for 4 years with the transfer portal today.

But let's keep pretending it's still 1993, or even 2013 just to keep defending the coaching and roster construction malpractice we are currently witnessing. But hey Dennis Evans! He will dominate the B1G as a freshman even though he's not currently dominating for his 12-12 high school team.

So we should have filled that scholarship with a warm body so that this last place projected team would have maybe been 13th instead? Only would have cost us Dennis Evans.

This type of asinine take is the reason why nobody should take you seriously in terms of Johnson and his team. You are throwing every shitty take at the wall in order to criticise everything he's done....failing to realize how foolish you sound.

How so? I stated that I was against throwing a panic scholly at a warm body who might hang around for four years and hardly contribute. You downplayed that by saying that one of Pitino's teams won 11 games. Got it. So you don't see anything wrong with filling scholarships with players who may never contribute.

Maybe try reading and responding to my posts intelligently next time.
He could have tried to add a guy with 1-2 years eligibility. No reason to assume it would be a 4 year guy.

But be honest, you look at who is available tonight and you tell me that D2 schools couldn’t win. Cooper & Samuels are slow, Battle would be a huge focus of the defense and JOJ can’t shoot. I think they would lose to a few top D2 teams.
Some of the top D2 teams are as good as low major D1 teams so for sure a D2 team could. Heck some D2s beat D1s at full strength. Watched a lot of NSIC ball in college. Great league, but most of those teams would still lose to that roster.

He could have tried to add a guy with 1-2 years eligibility. No reason to assume it would be a 4 year guy.

The scholarship that he banked ended up being Evans. Currently the #11 ranked HS player in the nation. He could have brought in one more transfer senior in their final year of eligibility. How many more wins would another Taurus Samuels have translated to? Would that have made the old maids on the board happy? Doubt it. The important thing here is that Johnson didn't fill that scholly with someone who would have left us with only one to give out during this recruiting cycle.

The scholarship that he banked ended up being Evans. Currently the #11 ranked HS player in the nation. He could have brought in one more transfer senior in their final year of eligibility. How many more wins would another Taurus Samuels have translated to? Would that have made the old maids on the board happy? Doubt it. The important thing here is that Johnson didn't fill that scholly with someone who would have left us with only one to give out during this recruiting cycle.
Actually, we still had two left and gave one to Ramberg and one to Betts to come early and Betts was coming either way. You can also over sign. I believe they can give as many scholarships as they want as long as they clear the spots by the time the new troops arrive.

Why not have an extra guard for a year? I really don’t get the what the issue would be. Aren’t you part of the “this year isn’t about wins” camp? So adding a guy to help challenge the freshman would have been good.

Why not have an extra guard for a year? I really don’t get the what the issue would be. Aren’t you part of the “this year isn’t about wins” camp? So adding a guy to help challenge the freshman would have been good.

It's quite possible that with five freshman and three transfers....Johnson didn't even have another senior transfer target left uncommitted. Sure....he could have just picked a player at random. Somebody unlikely to contribute much. He decided to award a walk-on the scholly. I don't see a problem with that.

It's quite possible that with five freshman and three transfers....Johnson didn't even have another senior transfer target left uncommitted. Sure....he could have just picked a player at random. Somebody unlikely to contribute much. He decided to award a walk-on the scholly. I don't see a problem with that.
That’s fair. But eventually he may want a full roster of scholarship players.

Well, fun game! Too bad it came out with the wrong team on top. TJD was outstanding and the difference. TT played pretty well given thw situation. Not a coincidence that Indiana took the lead on a rebound with TT out of the game.

No he’s not.
How’s he not? Most don’t pull schollies from walk ons when given. Currently the projection is one over. If everyone came back and the freshman come in they’d have to pull Ramburgs (not common to do and why they normally wait to give them to jrs or srs)

How’s he not? Most don’t pull schollies from walk ons when given. Currently the projection is one over. If everyone came back and the freshman come in they’d have to pull Ramburgs (not common to do and why they normally wait to give them to jrs or srs)
Because Ramberg’s is a one year scholarship. I’m sure they had this talk. Ramberg isn’t going to say no to $20k that might go away. If someone transfers Ramberg might stay on scholarship. Who knows. But he isn’t over just because something isn’t common.

Because Ramberg’s is a one year scholarship. I’m sure they had this talk. Ramberg isn’t going to say no to $20k that might go away. If someone transfers Ramberg might stay on scholarship. Who knows. But he isn’t over just because something isn’t common.
Well then he is right at 13 and they are full, but I would be shocked if they don’t go and try get a Pg in the portal too.

Well then he is right at 13 and they are full, but I would be shocked if they don’t go and try get a Pg in the portal too.
They are currently full. There could be 3 scholarships opening. No one knows. But much like with football—I bet it works out

Top Bottom