Games like these make me more excited for Kaliakmanis

I'm watching the Vikings game thinking......Athan should take over for Kirk Cousins too. /sarcasm

Just watched Cousins miss a wide open Viking WR in corner of end zone. Athan would have had that. Has to work on his progressions.

It is too bad you didn't watch the Fresno State game (I think in 2019 - someone can correct me) when, with about 5 minutes to play, trailing by a touchdown, the Gophers the got ball deep in their own end zone. First down = TM sack, Second down = TM sack, Third down and 21, I believe, with TM standing in his own end zone = 10 yard completion, fourth down = 12 yard completion and a first down.

Under the pressure of the clock, TM drove the team down the field for a tieing touchdown with only 30 or 40 seconds on the clock. Gophers won by 3 in overtime.

I think this was one of the best clutch performances I have ever seen.

I usually don't respond to clowns/trolls like you but your inability to see what is actually happening on the field, your simple inability to actually look at the record irritates me. You are a clown unable to objectively see reality on the field.
Wow, you had to go back to 2019 for an example say hi to PJ for me over breakfast.

Cousins has a slow wind up. Just watched and under throw jump ball that should have been picked off by safety but PI called on other DB. Sometimes the ball just bounces your way. Cousins just missed the extra point.

One of the reasons I wasn't a fan of Tanner coming back this season. I'm envious of these teams that have a QB that can create when reads break down.
But he did that in great fashion against MSU the week before. The few times Morgan tried to run this week, Purdue was there quickly.
The receivers and Oline both underperformed. Even our star center fell down on his own on a key 3rd down play in the 4th quarter allowing his guy to sack Morgan while tearing off his helmet.

He can run faster too. Will he be a great decision maker? We're gonna find out.

Yes, we will. And I'm a Gopher fan, so I'll be cheering hard for him, or for Cole Kramer, or for whoever plays QB next season.

Right now we have Tanner Morgan. He's been pretty good for us.

We win that game yesterday if Mike Brown-Stephens catches a (very catchable) TD toss, and Pritchett makes the chip shot FG. We win it, despite the fact that Purdue did an excellent, excellent job of taking away our run game, which is the Gophers' bread and butter.

Athan clearly has a better arm than Tanner and people are excited to see what he can do. Get over it.
He does not 'clearly have the better arm'. We have watched a lot of players with 'clearly better arms' over the years. Shortel is a great example of this.

Morgan can make every throw you would expect a college QB to make. Go routes, fades, crossers, screens, to the strong side and weak side. Moreover he reads defenses accurately both pre- and post-snap. He doesn't panic when he needs to get rid of the ball. He can feel the pass rush. He doesn't give up sacks waiting for routes to develop.

He can throw on the run and improvise.

Athan won't be able to do any of these things in his first season because all of them take time to hone and develop. Next year is a rebuilding year for the Gophers. Let us enjoy this season because it could be 50 years before the Gophers find a QB as good as Morgan again.

Athan is the only QB on the Gophers roster that has sailed an otherwise clean pass on a slant route this year.

He does not 'clearly have the better arm'. We have watched a lot of players with 'clearly better arms' over the years. Shortel is a great example of this.

Morgan can make every throw you would expect a college QB to make. Go routes, fades, crossers, screens, to the strong side and weak side. Moreover he reads defenses accurately both pre- and post-snap. He doesn't panic when he needs to get rid of the ball. He can feel the pass rush. He doesn't give up sacks waiting for routes to develop.

Athan won't be able to do any of these things in his first season because all of them take time to hone and develop. Next year is a rebuilding year for the Gophers. Let us enjoy this season because it could be 50 years before the Gophers find a QB as good as Morgan again.

Athan is the only QB on the Gophers roster that has sailed an otherwise clean pass on a slant route this year.
He has a stronger arm. It's not crazy to get excited about a better athlete coming in at the most important position on the field. Especially after two seasons of learning in the system that developed the great Tanner Morgan.

My read is that the coaches believe Athan is more talented, but Morgan probably has the playbook down better and maybe some game experience things that are hard to teach. I think there's a chance that Athan does better at making a play when the play breaks down but Morgan is better right now when the play doesn't break down.

Who knows, we'll see next year

I think Morgan is a good QB. But, I also believe that Morgan has some physical limitations compared to other QB's.

when a play breaks down, other teams have QB's that can take off and run for 10 or 15 yards. That's not Morgan's game. again, doesn't mean he's bad - it just means he doesn't have that element to his game. call it "creativeness" if you will.

same thing with the arm strength. Morgan does a lot of things well. But on a hail mary-type situation, you can clearly see that he can't throw the ball 40+ yards in the air the way some QB's can.
In a perfect world, we'd love to have a QB with Morgan's savvy and leadership, but with the foot speed and arm strength of an Adrian Martinez.

is that AK? or Knuth? or neither? one way or another, we'll find out.

Yes, we will. And I'm a Gopher fan, so I'll be cheering hard for him, or for Cole Kramer, or for whoever plays QB next season.

Right now we have Tanner Morgan. He's been pretty good for us.

We win that game yesterday if Mike Brown-Stephens catches a (very catchable) TD toss, and Pritchett makes the chip shot FG. We win it, despite the fact that Purdue did an excellent, excellent job of taking away our run game, which is the Gophers' bread and butter.
Listen to Mr. RemeberMurray---Kramer is not chopped liver; the competition for QB next year will be intense. Let's see what happens. In the meantime, Morgan and the rest of the offense needs to rebound against Illinois. The coaches have two weeks to figure out a decent game plan agaist the team that had our number last year. Forget about PSU. Next up is Illinois!

I think Morgan is a good QB. But, I also believe that Morgan has some physical limitations compared to other QB's.

when a play breaks down, other teams have QB's that can take off and run for 10 or 15 yards. That's not Morgan's game. again, doesn't mean he's bad - it just means he doesn't have that element to his game. call it "creativeness" if you will.

same thing with the arm strength. Morgan does a lot of things well. But on a hail mary-type situation, you can clearly see that he can't throw the ball 40+ yards in the air the way some QB's can.
In a perfect world, we'd love to have a QB with Morgan's savvy and leadership, but with the foot speed and arm strength of an Adrian Martinez.

is that AK? or Knuth? or neither? one way or another, we'll find out.
Very fair take.

Listen to Mr. RemeberMurray---Kramer is not chopped liver; the competition for QB next year will be intense. Let's see what happens. In the meantime, Morgan and the rest of the offense needs to rebound against Illinois. The coaches have two weeks to figure out a decent game plan agaist the team that had our number last year. Forget about PSU. Next up is Illinois!
I don't see Kramer getting the starting spot. Will there be a competition? Yes, because someone will be #1 QB. From what I have seen in practices and games, it is Athan's to lose. If he does lose out, it will be seen as a recruiting miss.

1st: AK clearly DOES have a better arm. To argue otherwise is ridiculous. Attend a practice. The difference in arm strength is undeniable.

2nd. That does not mean AK is a better QB today.

3rd: "Athan wont be able to do any of those things." How would you know? And BTW, Morgan "doesnt give up sacks?" Puh-lease.

1st: AK clearly DOES have a better arm. To argue otherwise is ridiculous. Attend a practice. The difference in arm strength is undeniable.

2nd. That does not mean AK is a better QB today.

3rd: "Athan wont be able to do any of those things." How would you know? And BTW, Morgan "doesnt give up sacks?" Puh-lease.
Athan in the RPO has the potential to be electrifying. Bigger with a better arm...much better down field threat.

I don't see Kramer getting the starting spot. Will there be a competition? Yes, because someone will be #1 QB. From what I have seen in practices and games, it is Athan's to lose. If he does lose out, it will be seen as a recruiting miss.
Virtually no chance Kramer starts next year.

9 is just as big and fast as 8 don’t know about arm strength. I’m excited for both of them. Wildcard between the two is 8 was recruited by KC and 9 by Sanford; but he is also a PJ guy so still came when Sanford left. Open competition in the spring should be fun assuming 8 doesn’t play this year and light it up then he’d be the presumed starter in ‘23 with how PJ rolls on these matters.

If Tanner Morgan is our best QB in the next 50 years i will be shocked, some of you people do not know what good big ten QB play is increase your expectations, Morgan is Average

If Tanner Morgan is our best QB in the next 50 years i will be shocked, some of you people do not know what good big ten QB play is increase your expectations, Morgan is Average

You should email PJ with your observations on why Athan should be starting.

Top Bottom