Games like these make me more excited for Kaliakmanis

If Athan starts, what are the chances we are still 4-1.........I say extremely high.

I can't wait for a new look with other ways to move the ball.

Is this bad?
Nope not bad. I would have been happy if 2 had moved to a GA position this year have seen enough of him time for someone else to have a chance.

If Athan starts, what are the chances we are still 4-1.........I say extremely high.

I can't wait for a new look with other ways to move the ball.

Is this bad?
I'm in the same boat as you, can't wait to have a QB where the D has to respect the threat of him running instead of handing off. Even if you collapse on the RB, Morgan is so slow that the defender can turn around and basically still grab Morgan cuz he hasn't gone anywhere.

He literally started the post you replied to with, "Morgan should be starting i'm not arguing that..." Here it is. Are you still perplexed?

You weren't pointing out either of those things. At least *own* your post.

Ah, ok he’s just “airing an opinion” that he’s listed in several threads: Morgan being an average to below average Big Ten QB, now in a thread about Kaliakmanis. I foolishly assumed he’d like to see AK start. My bad! Apology extended. I missed the support for Morgan in the first dozen posts.

Morgan is the best QB we've had in the last 20-25 years. No one else is even close. Does it frustrate me that he's not more of a threat to execute the R portion of the RPO? Sure. Doesn't change the fact that he's our best thrower in ages.

Morgan is the best QB we've had in the last 20-25 years. No one else is even close. Does it frustrate me that he's not more of a threat to execute the R portion of the RPO? Sure. Doesn't change the fact that he's our best thrower in ages.
We run an RPO, not a read option.

It is a choice to hand off or keep it and pass it. It is not designed for the qb to run.

I am very excited for whatever our future is at QB and think Kaliakmanis has a lot of potential. However, having a high recruiting ranking and a strong arm does not mean you will be successful. I bet a lot of Wisconsin fans were clamoring for Mertz when Coan was starting.

LOL.

I am very excited for whatever our future is at QB and think Kaliakmanis has a lot of potential. However, having a high recruiting ranking and a strong arm does not mean you will be successful. I bet a lot of Wisconsin fans were clamoring for Mertz when Coan was starting.
But you see, with Mertz the gophers are also 4-1 minimum.

With this defense and running game, the qb doesn't have to do a bunch. When the run is taken away, then the qb has to do something or maybe improvise. This is our current problem.

For certain fans, when their team loses it is always:

1) the QB's fault, or...

2) poor play-calling.

It doesn't matter how the game actually unfolds, it always comes down to those two factors as far as they are concerned.

It doesn't have to make logical sense; it just is that way.
Given that the QB and the play callers are typically the singly most influential actors on a football team, it stands to reason that they are most likely to be most responsible for wins or losses. By the way Mur, watch the game again and count the number of times Tanner audibled a draw right into a waiting defense. I know, I know. It had to be the O-line and the receivers faults somehow.

So yeah, I disagree. MBS cost us at least 7 points on a single play, along with some other miscues. But TM had probably a worse game offensively in terms of total mistakes. Turnovers (2 of 3 interceptions were his fault). Sacks coming from his eye side. Locking onto a receiver for most of a play, getting the throw there late.

Tanner once again said that he needs to play better, but I think after this many years, what we saw against Purdue is what he is. A team guy, a tough QB that always gives it his best. A guy that can make the short throws and can look pretty good when his running game is getting him second or third down and short, the defense isn't forcing him to pass, and his team isn't down.

I suppose some of the fanbase may be spoiled with the run of success under PJ to the extent that we're hoping to have a QB that can be the difference in close games like this. We've had a Mo, we've had a Rashod, we've had an Antoine, why not a major difference-maker at QB? We don't see the team practice every day like the coaches, but it's not unreasonable for fans to think about what else there is after half a decade of seeing the same guy (good and bad) at QB.

But you see, with Mertz the gophers are also 4-1 minimum.

With this defense and running game, the qb doesn't have to do a bunch. When the run is taken away, then the qb has to do something or maybe improvise. This is our current problem.
It seems like you are ignoring that Morgan had a very good game against Michigan State. I get that there is some frustration with Morgan as he is not a perfect QB. I think most would rate him at average to above average. However, I don’t see how you come away with Morgan being the biggest issue after the Purdue game. The WRs dropped a ton of passes, the OL was beaten in the run and pass game, and the RBs did next to nothing. There are very few QBs in college football that win you a game in those conditions, certainly not Mertz.

I get looking ahead with optimism toward the next quarterback, but I think when all things being considered, we're going to be OK the rest of this season with Morgan.

I also feel like this has been a continuous conversation for just over a decade.
  • Adam Weber is no good, we need to start MarQueis Gray.
  • MarQuis Gray is bad, we need to put in Philip Nelson.
  • Philip Nelson isn't working, we need to try Mitch Leidner.
  • Mitch Leidner is bad, give Conor Rhoda a try.
  • Conor Rhoda isn't the answer, put Demry Croft in.
Maybe Kaliakmanis will be the next great things when he takes over, and I hope he is. However, I feel like expecting him to be infinitely better than what we have now is wishful thinking considering how the past has gone.

Tanner once again said that he needs to play better, but I think after this many years, what we saw against Purdue is what he is. A team guy, a tough QB that always gives it his best. A guy that can make the short throws and can look pretty good when his running game is getting him second or third down and short, the defense isn't forcing him to pass, and his team isn't down.

As much as I like Tanner and as grateful as I am for his leadership over his tenure, I think the above is a fair synopsis of his strengths and weaknesses and I can't disagree with it.

I get looking ahead with optimism toward the next quarterback, but I think when all things being considered, we're going to be OK the rest of this season with Morgan.

I also feel like this has been a continuous conversation for just over a decade.
  • Adam Weber is no good, we need to start MarQueis Gray.
  • MarQuis Gray is bad, we need to put in Philip Nelson.
  • Philip Nelson isn't working, we need to try Mitch Leidner.
  • Mitch Leidner is bad, give Conor Rhoda a try.
  • Conor Rhoda isn't the answer, put Demry Croft in.
Maybe Kaliakmanis will be the next great things when he takes over, and I hope he is. However, I feel like expecting him to be infinitely better than what we have now is wishful thinking considering how the past has gone.

While don't think any Gopher QB in the medium term future will be "infinitely better" than who we have now, I don't think it's unwarranted to be optimistic that the next QB might be better to a degree over his tenure than Tanner. Why do I say that? Because Tanner is significantly better than most, perhaps all, of the QBs you listed above.

While I believe Kill/Claeys did a reasonably good job as coaches, I never thought we would recruit very good quarterbacks or wide receivers with them heading the program. I think we now have the type of program that is more attractive to talented QBs and WRs.

Had a conversation with some guy on Twitter over the weekend. He was saying their are 100's of high school QBs in Texas that could make better decisions than Morgan. He concluded that he is one of the worst QBs in college football and that his arm, decision making ability and accuracy were all horrible. I can't post his tweets as he blocked me after I explained how stupid he was.

Morgan is limited. He's a system QB that has done pretty well overall. Not elite, but average to slightly above average. It will be nice to potentially have a QB with a bigger arm and more athleticism. At the same time we should appreciate what Morgan has done.

Had a conversation with some guy on Twitter over the weekend. He was saying their are 100's of high school QBs in Texas that could make better decisions than Morgan. He concluded that he is one of the worst QBs in college football and that his arm, decision making ability and accuracy were all horrible. I can't post his tweets as he blocked me after I explained how stupid he was.

Morgan is limited. He's a system QB that has done pretty well overall. Not elite, but average to slightly above average. It will be nice to potentially have a QB with a bigger arm and more athleticism. At the same time we should appreciate what Morgan has done.

Sounds like he did you a favor by blocking you. He should be reminded that we did recruit Texas QB Jacob Clark who was rated as the #16 pro style QB in the nation (not just Texas!) by 247 and he failed to displace Morgan. Clark didn't displace the incumbent starter at Missouri State either.

Morgan is the best QB we've had in the last 20-25 years. No one else is even close.
Um, I can't even imagine what Adam Weber could do in this offense. More mobile, better arm, and with all of the OCs he went through (and throwing mechanics changes - tennis balls!!!) he still got drafted and hung around the league for 2 years. No way Morgan gets anything more than the sympathy invite the vikes extended to Leidner.

However, I don’t see how you come away with Morgan being the biggest issue after the Purdue game. The WRs dropped a ton of passes, the OL was beaten in the run and pass game, and the RBs did next to nothing. There are very few QBs in college football that win you a game in those conditions, certainly not Mertz.
Did you even read the post you replied to??? The poster agrees that Mertz wouldn't have won the Purdue game for us either. He also didn't say Morgan was the biggest issue - he just said that Morgan can't compensate when the other position groups have a bad day.

If you want to argue for the sake of arguing, fine. But at least TRY and understand the post before you start replying to it.

Yeesh.

However, I feel like expecting him to be infinitely better than what we have now is wishful thinking considering how the past has gone.
Who hear said anything about "infinitely better"?????

Geez, all you Morgan supporters are doing is putting words in our mouths and then arguing against those same words!

Um, I can't even imagine what Adam Weber could do in this offense. More mobile, better arm, and with all of the OCs he went through (and throwing mechanics changes - tennis balls!!!) he still got drafted and hung around the league for 2 years. No way Morgan gets anything more than the sympathy invite the vikes extended to Leidner.
I think Morgan is more accurate, but hard to say how much of that is because of all the OCs Weber went through. Weber definitely a better runner and stronger arm. Weber had some ugly ugly looking passes though (remember a number thrown at people's feet).

Did you even read the post you replied to??? The poster agrees that Mertz wouldn't have won the Purdue game for us either. He also didn't say Morgan was the biggest issue - he just said that Morgan can't compensate when the other position groups have a bad day.

If you want to argue for the sake of arguing, fine. But at least TRY and understand the post before you start replying to it.

Yeesh.
Take a chill pill my man. My OP was more about the fault of expecting young and unproven QBs to be better than an average to good QB, hence the Mertz/Coan situation. I then responded to KG21 and acknowledged that Morgan is an average to above average QB in the Big 10. He obviously can’t win when every other position group on offense are underperforming, but there are very few QBs at the college level who can. I very much doubt that AK would have changed the game either given the way the OL, WRs, and RBs played. Maybe down the road he could, I believe that is the purpose of this thread. However that is obviously not a guarentee and that was the purpose of my OP which KG21 responded to. I have no argument with you and did not respond to any of your posts in the first place. I hope you have a better day.

Last edited:

Sounds like he did you a favor by blocking you. He should be reminded that we did recruit Texas QB Jacob Clark who was rated as the #16 pro style QB in the nation (not just Texas!) by 247 and he failed to displace Morgan. Clark didn't displace the incumbent starter at Missouri State either.
Clark never had a chance here and the QB at Missouri State is really good.

I think Morgan is more accurate, but hard to say how much of that is because of all the OCs Weber went through. Weber definitely a better runner and stronger arm. Weber had some ugly ugly looking passes though (remember a number thrown at people's feet).
Adam had great talent and awful coaching (and the best receiver in college football). But he also trained a lot of shortstops on fielding the short hop.

My read is that the coaches believe Athan is more talented, but Morgan probably has the playbook down better and maybe some game experience things that are hard to teach. I think there's a chance that Athan does better at making a play when the play breaks down but Morgan is better right now when the play doesn't break down.

Who knows, we'll see next year
Another way to look at it is Fleck is (and has been) 100% comfortable with Tanner running the offense. He trusts him with the keys so-to-speak. And for the most part, Morgan took advantage of the opportunities when presented (like Annexsted's injury and the entirety of the 2019 season) to earn and effectively seal that trust. That doesn't mean there isn't or wasn't a more physically talented QB in waiting.

After this season, one of the other QBs will have to earn Fleck's trust. I don't think arm talent alone will do it.

The bolded is pure speculation on your part.

Then you mention that to be successful, we need to be effective at running the football and have wide open receivers. You think only Morgan can play in those circumstances???
Exactly. How did we know Ky and Bucky were really good backs last year? Because they took advantage of their opportunity when Mo and Trey got hurt. It's impossible to know how a kid will play in game action until they get game action.

Exactly. How did we know Ky and Bucky were really good backs last year? Because they took advantage of their opportunity when Mo and Trey got hurt. It's impossible to know how a kid will play in game action until they get game action.
We knew they were good backs before they played because one was Kansas player of the year and other was 4* from Illinois.

We knew they were good backs before they played because one was Kansas player of the year and other was 4* from Illinois.
Jason Williamson was 2x MN Gatorade Player of the Year. Also a 4*.

What was your point again?

Top Bottom