Games like these make me more excited for Kaliakmanis

If Tanner Morgan is our best QB in the next 50 years i will be shocked, some of you people do not know what good big ten QB play is increase your expectations, Morgan is Average

"Average"? Really?

On which curve is he "average"?

And... I guess we're supposed to be disappointed in Tanner if he isn't the best Gopher QB for the next 50 years, by your lights? Wow. Are you serious?

I like Morgan. He has proven his worth for the Gophers without question. My only hiccup with him is he stares down receivers on longer developing plays. Wish he didn't do that, but I'll roll with him everyday. Next year we'll have someone new who takes the snaps and hopefully improves the position. Right now, the Gophers have a pretty damn good qb who I hope finishes the season strong. As I proofread this post, I realize that I might be SON's little brother, First Lieutenant Obvious.
Go Gophers!

"Average"? Really?

On which curve is he "average"?

And... I guess we're supposed to be disappointed in Tanner if he isn't the best Gopher QB for the next 50 years, by your lights? Wow. Are you serious?
The Big Ten QB curve, theres at least 6 BIG qbs I would consider taking over him, Just because gopher football has had poor QB play in the past doesnt mean we should celebrate average play. Tanner is good for us, a veteran leader and knows the offense but hes nothing special like our best qb in the next 50 years.

Can't wait to see Athan with his super arm speed bounce one of the chest of MBS in the endzone so hard that the other team can't intercept it. Wasn't Tanner's best game, but the story was drops and guys not winning 50/50 balls when covered. That and the lack of a running game threat were the defining shortcomings.

Every bad break and we were still in a position to comeback and win in the 4th quarter. Tanner puts consecutive balls on DW's hands (wide open) and BSF's( covered tight by smaller guy) hands both failed to come up with a catch and we are looking to upgrade QB play???

Can't wait to see Athan with his super arm speed bounce one of the chest of MBS in the endzone so hard that the other team can't intercept it. Wasn't Tanner's best game, but the story was drops and guys not winning 50/50 balls when covered. That and the lack of a running game threat were the defining shortcomings.

Every bad break and we were still in a position to comeback and win in the 4th quarter. Tanner puts consecutive balls on DW's hands (wide open) and BSF's( covered tight by smaller guy) hands both failed to come up with a catch and we are looking to upgrade QB play???

For certain fans, when their team loses it is always:

1) the QB's fault, or...

2) poor play-calling.

It doesn't matter how the game actually unfolds, it always comes down to those two factors as far as they are concerned.

It doesn't have to make logical sense; it just is that way.

Wom really coming to bat for Tanner. Try watching non gopher games. He's average.
Yeah, I agree. If you give him a clean pocket and talented WRs and if the defense has to respect the running game, well, Tanner will complete the pass and execute the offense.

So what? That's average at best.

These people are like, "well, my transmission is slipping, got some bald tires, hole in the muffler, but my V6 is running fine, no need to upgrade to the V8."

Just because Tanner wasn't the reason we lost doesn't mean QB play can't be elevated.

Why are we so excited about this guy? Did we beat out Alabama or Ohio State for him? Morgan is who he is, but if you think kid with zero experience is going to play better ball than Tanner has over the years, you are going to be disappointed.
Can the kid be better? Surely, but it won't come right away.
There is one way to win here and it's the same way that every team besides Ohio State, Penn State and Purdue do.
Run the football effectively and make easy passes to wide open receivers when you have established a strong running game.
Minnesota will not change their spots, just like Iowa, Wisky, etc. This is grind it out football here whether you like it or not. That is what you get when you are working with middle to bottom of the conference recruits. Sorry, but it is what it is.

Morgan is who he is, but if you think kid with zero experience is going to play better ball than Tanner has over the years, you are going to be disappointed.
There is one way to win here and it's the same way that every team besides Ohio State, Penn State and Purdue do.
Run the football effectively and make easy passes to wide open receivers when you have established a strong running game.
The bolded is pure speculation on your part.

Then you mention that to be successful, we need to be effective at running the football and have wide open receivers. You think only Morgan can play in those circumstances???

This is not a knock on Morgan, but you cannot coach arm strength. Receivers waiting on too many balls, affording for no yards after catch or allowing the defender to contest the catch.
true but anticipation makes up for lack of arm and ball placement allows for RAC

i didnt say athan should start

Kramer, then? Knuth?

I think everyone is hopeful Athan or Knuth is the next Big Ten great QB but the odds of that coming to pass are far from guaranteed or even high. Sorry, just being realistic. Morgan is proven, highly efficient, and doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. Sure, we’d all like him to be a bigger and better runner but I’ll take an accurate, smart passer at low risk of injury any day of the week. Biggest issues on O were the line and RBs getting mobbed in the backfield, an inability to break tackles (that day), hands.

It’s probably easier to recruit a great RB than a great QB. Potts didn’t have it Saturday, Williams is hot or cold. Who else? Game breaker on the bench?

The Big Ten QB curve, theres at least 6 BIG qbs I would consider taking over him, Just because gopher football has had poor QB play in the past doesnt mean we should celebrate average play. Tanner is good for us, a veteran leader and knows the offense but hes nothing special like our best qb in the next 50 years.

Who? I can guess at most of them but still curious who you put higher, and why.

Kramer, then? Knuth?

I think everyone is hopeful Athan or Knuth is the next Big Ten great QB but the odds of that coming to pass are far from guaranteed or even high. Sorry, just being realistic. Morgan is proven, highly efficient, and doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. Sure, we’d all like him to be a bigger and better runner but I’ll take an accurate, smart passer at low risk of injury any day of the week. Biggest issues on O were the line and RBs getting mobbed in the backfield, an inability to break tackles (that day), hands.

It’s probably easier to recruit a great RB than a great QB. Potts didn’t have it Saturday, Williams is hot or cold. Who else? Game breaker on the bench?
Morgan should be starting i'm not arguing that, I just think hes average and we should have higher expectations for the position. People on this board thinks hes the best thing since sliced bread because our QB play has been so bad for years

Morgan should be starting i'm not arguing that, I just think hes average and we should have higher expectations for the position. People on this board thinks hes the best thing since sliced bread because our QB play has been so bad for years

Right, we don’t have Mahomes.

No argument.

Right, we don’t have Mahomes.

No argument.
When you make a comment like that, who actually do you think you might have been arguing with in the first place?

I know, I know, you were making a sarcastic dig that you think really shows your point or whatever, but you just appear childish in this specific instance.

Why are we so excited about this guy? Did we beat out Alabama or Ohio State for him? Morgan is who he is, but if you think kid with zero experience is going to play better ball than Tanner has over the years, you are going to be disappointed.
Minnesota will not change their spots, just like Iowa, Wisky, etc. This is grind it out football here whether you like it or not. That is what you get when you are working with middle to bottom of the conference recruits. Sorry, but it is what it is.
How teams defend you should determine whats called on offense, DO NOT STRIVE TO BE ONE DIMENSIONAL. Thinking the only way to win is running the football is such an oldschool mindset. Do whatever it takes to win run or pass do not be predictable and attack all space on the field Vertically and horizontally. May I remind you teams in the SEC are running the air raid when 10 years ago people said it wouldnt work. The game always evolves get with the times.

For certain fans, when their team loses it is always:

1) the QB's fault, or...

2) poor play-calling.

It doesn't matter how the game actually unfolds, it always comes down to those two factors as far as they are concerned.

It doesn't have to make logical sense; it just is that way.

You forgot one. The loss never has much to do with the performance by the other team.

How teams defend you should determine whats called on offense, DO NOT STRIVE TO BE ONE DIMENSIONAL. Thinking the only way to win is running the football is such an oldschool mindset. Do whatever it takes to win run or pass do not be predictable and attack all space on the field Vertically and horizontally. May I remind you teams in the SEC are running the air raid when 10 years ago people said it wouldnt work. The game always evolves get with the times.

I wouldn't say that we are one dimensional but the ability to run is an essential part of our offense. We have problems when we become one-dimensional and must rely almost exclusively on the passing game

I for one am excited about AK as I think he will be the starter next year. And, I have every right to think that he will develop better than Tanner Morgan. As for now, I think we need to relax...this loss was not on Tanner (most of it anyway); and, it is just one game. But I agree with some others in this thread, Morgan does have tendencies that can be frustrating. I'm hoping a guy that has the fortune of being a starting college QB for 5 years now can really start to show it.

It was mentioned in an earlier post that Morgan could be the best QB we may have here for the next 50 years. Try this...we all know the we are not QBU, but if you just go back 50 years, there are several quarterbacks that are arguably better than Morgan - Dungy, Weber, Foggie, Hohensee...maybe even Cupito. Those are just a few. With all due respect, to think that we may never have anyone better than Morgan is crazy talk...I am betting we will see better quarterbacks. And, as long as we're speculating (right?), I think AK will be one of them. And just think how crazy the transfer portal will be in the future...good quarterbacks will always be looking for a gig.

Edit: And yes, AK's arm is stronger than Tanner Morgan's.

Last edited:

Tanner is the classic QB where he's not the reason we lost, but also rarely the reason you win either. There aren't a ton of those guys out there but you usually need a guy like that to make the jump to the highest levels.

Maybe Athan is one of those guys, but he might also be a guy that loses games for you and we end up missing the Morgan days.

When you make a comment like that, who actually do you think you might have been arguing with in the first place?

I know, I know, you were making a sarcastic dig that you think really shows your point or whatever, but you just appear childish in this specific instance.

He’s been ripping on Morgan incessantly in a thread on Athan. I asked who should be starting, he states he doesn’t know. So, I’m perplexed.

Hardly childish to point out we don’t have a proven backup on the roster, or that Morgan is arguably the best Gopher QB in modern history. Could there be reasons Athan, though promising, isn’t ready yet?

He’s been ripping on Morgan incessantly in a thread on Athan. I asked who should be starting, he states he doesn’t know. So, I’m perplexed.

He literally started the post you replied to with, "Morgan should be starting i'm not arguing that..." Here it is. Are you still perplexed?

Hardly childish to point out we don’t have a proven backup on the roster, or that Morgan is arguably the best Gopher QB in modern history.
You weren't pointing out either of those things. At least *own* your post.

Ok, so Morgan is currently 5th for Big Ten QB's. https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr/_/group/5

Sure, call that average. Some people may say above average, but whatever.

So if people are defending Morgan as a solid QB, does that mean they don't want a better QB?

I'd love if we could have the next Drew Brees or Trevor Lawrence. Who wouldn't? Is AK that guy? Would be awesome if he was. I'm just not sure what you and all the other Morgan-bashers want? Morgan to be benched? Is that the goal? If not, then I don't know what all the complaining is for because EVERYONE would love to have a superstar Gopher QB.

Ok, so Morgan is currently 5th for Big Ten QB's. https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr/_/group/5

Sure, call that average. Some people may say above average, but whatever.

So if people are defending Morgan as a solid QB, does that mean they don't want a better QB?

I'd love if we could have the next Drew Brees or Trevor Lawrence. Who wouldn't? Is AK that guy? Would be awesome if he was. I'm just not sure what you and all the other Morgan-bashers want? Morgan to be benched? Is that the goal? If not, then I don't know what all the complaining is for because EVERYONE would love to have a superstar Gopher QB.
If Athan starts, what are the chances we are still 4-1.........I say extremely high.

I can't wait for a new look with other ways to move the ball.

Is this bad?

Top Bottom