GAME #30: Gophers (18-11, 7-9) @ #16 Michigan (20-7, 12-3) [BTN, 5:00PM]

I blame this loss on Coach Pitino for a lot of reasons.

Yup. What exactly did King do this game....or any as of recently. Buggs has shown that he is a far better player. Inexcusable for Pitino to have King playing towards the end of the game. How many rebounds did he miss?

We lost this game because we can't rebound. That's all

Agreed. That's what my post was about. Our bigs are too passive. I can't wait to get players like Martin in. He'll bang the boards.

This Michigan team is better than us period. Nothing a coach can do with lesser talent. We kept it close but missed too many opportunities and gave them too many second chances. We have NO go to guy and Michigan has 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder if Minn would hustle for loose balls, fight(jump?) for rebounds, and successfully alley-oop as well as Mich, would they orgasm from the Gophs too???

Mo Walker had a huge and-1 play to get us within two and he acted like it was just a layup 30 seconds into the game. It's not a big deal, I just thought it was funny. He was really feeding off the crowd.

Just another sloppy performance. Andre Hollins is struggling.

Yup. What exactly did King do this game....or any as of recently. Buggs has shown that he is a far better player. Inexcusable for Pitino to have King playing towards the end of the game. How many rebounds did he miss?

Yeah. I'm as big of a Pitino fan as there is, but it's hard not to wonder if we would have a slightly better record right now if we had been giving Buggs playing time earlier in the season. Not saying Buggs is a world beater, but he clearly offers us more than King or Oto.

Looking at the faces....Pitino is the only one who looks sufficiently pissed about losing this game.

Lost primarily due to inability to shoot the ball, giving up wide open 3's (how many times can Mathieu, Smith, Dre, etc. get caught sinking into the lane before they change), some poor rebounding, and an inability to get loose balls.

Stats of the game: MN shoots 5/18 (27.8%) from three, 63% free throws, Nik Stauskas drops 5 three's.

Do I wish Buggs was in? Yes.

Inexcusable for a coach to play his starting PF at the end of the game for a bench player who has seen significant action in one other big ten game? No, and definitely not for a discussion board to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Jackson just got up off his knees, wiping his mouth to interview Stauskus. What's that all about. Jackson is horrible.

This Michigan team is better than us period. Nothing a coach can do with lesser talent. We kept it close but missed too many opportunities and gave them too many second chances. We have NO go to guy and Michigan has 3.

This. They can; we can't = loss.

Mo Walker had a huge and-1 play to get us within two and he acted like it was just a layup 30 seconds into the game. It's not a big deal, I just thought it was funny. He was really feeding off the crowd.

Just another sloppy performance. Andre Hollins is struggling.

Not only that, but one announcer after the FT said "Minnesota cutting it within 4". The BTN scoreboard was behind for MN often tonight, and apparently he was reading the BTN scoreboard instead of either the actual board or the one in his head that should say "5-3 = 2 not 4".

Looking at the faces....Pitino is the only one who looks sufficiently pissed about losing this game.

not taking a shot at the players Tubby recruited but it will be interesting the personality of the team when it's all Pitino recruited players.

Michigan is a very solid team. There is a reason they lead the B1G. Now we just have to beat Penn State and then win at least our first game in the B1G tournament. Here's to hoping we don't have to play Illinois that first game of the tourney.

Pretty solid effort in the second half lead by Austin Hollins until the meltdown at the end. Key plays of the game were the quick transition 3 by 'Dre Hollins that missed and led to to an alley oop for Michigan which got their crowd in to it and pushed their lead to 4. Then with the Gophers down just two, Joey King failed to grab a rebound, Spike got the ball and fed it inside to put the Wolverines up 4 again and we'd never get any closer the rest of the game.

The Wolverines have more guys who can make shots. This was a night we really, really needed Malik Smith to get going again. The loss sucks, but I feel better about the Penn State game next Sunday than I would have if the team went out and rolled over in the second half.

Do I wish Buggs was in? Yes.

Inexcusable for a coach to play his starting PF at the end of the game for a bench player who has seen significant action in one other big ten game? No, and definitely not for a discussion board to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHat about allowing Malik to jack up shots from the parking lot and sticking with him for a decent amount of time after them? What about playing Joey King and EE when neither of them did anything at the end of the game? Why not go with buggs? Also, we were completely stagnant on offense to end the second half of the first half (haha) and needed something in terms of offensive schemes to make something happen.

Yeah. I'm as big of a Pitino fan as there is, but it's hard not to wonder if we would have a slightly better record right now if we had been giving Buggs playing time earlier in the season. Not saying Buggs is a world beater, but he clearly offers us more than King or Oto.

Biggest problem I have with this is you're suggesting we lost games solely due to PF play. I agree it's the weakest link, but Buggs couldn't guard Robinson any better and he's had ONE good game to evaluate him on. He us definitely the future, needs to get stronger, but I don't think our record is any better with him playing more. Too many problems all around to say one position cost us games.

This. They can; we can't = loss.

Nice to hear some intelligent comments.

We had a stretch in the late first half where we missed three fast break opportunities in a row and Eliason missed two free throws. You can't offer that up to a team that shoots the ball like Michigan- they are going to get their points.

this board is too paranoid with regards to the media but the play by play guy had to wearing a Michigan jersey. His tone was rather obvious.

It's impossible to tell. Buggs still looks lost out there (not saying he shouldn't play). I imagine it would have been worse earlier on.

I'm just glad he is contributing and looks like he can be a good player in the future.

This might be Lil Dre's worst game in a Gopher uni...consistently losing his guy on defense. Anyway this isn't a terrible loss. They fought until the end and i'm happy with that. Let's take care of business at home on senior night.

This. Well, which "Dre" are you talking about? Neither Dre really covered anyone on the perimeter all night.

Biggest problem I have with this is you're suggesting we lost games solely due to PF play. I agree it's the weakest link, but Buggs couldn't guard Robinson any better and he's had ONE good game to evaluate him on. He us definitely the future, needs to get stronger, but I don't think our record is any better with him playing more. Too many problems all around to say one position cost us games.

Exactly. Buggs doesn't solve the problem of a clueless offense when Mathieu can't get in the paint, or giving up 10 wide open three's per game.

It's impossible to tell. Buggs still looks lost out there (not saying he shouldn't play). I imagine it would have been worse earlier on.

I'm just glad he is contributing and looks like he can be a good player in the future.

Why do people keep saying he looks "lost"? If he's lost, I want to know what we should call whatever King is.... nonexistant perhaps?

Exactly. Buggs doesn't solve the problem of a clueless offense when Mathieu can't get in the paint, or giving up 10 wide open three's per game.

I'd really like to see D'dre get in someone's grill on D and stay there. You'd think a guy with that much quickness would be able to give a ball handler fits and stick to his guy's chest like glue; instead he's always a few feet off of the ball, and loses his man often.

Why do people keep saying he looks "lost"? If he's lost, I want to know what we should call whatever King is.... nonexistant perhaps?

You do realize that while everyone's disappointed, it's really only you who is attacking EE and King after the game. Not sure what your point is, but if Mo could have defended or rebounded better, and didn't lower his shoulder into Morgan twice, then perhaps he could have led the team to victory. He was no world beater out there. As for King, nobody else on the team at his position outplayed him, either. Buggs showed a few nice things, but got completely owned at the end of the 1st half when the game was virtually decided.

Top Bottom