Gabe to Iowa State

If Gabe wasn’t a Delasalle kid there wouldn’t be the same negative perception this creates. The treated like garbage side of it ? I would doubt in his day to day interaction with people anyone treated him like garbage because he was struggling shooting. Negativity on social media and forums are a fact of life everywhere.

You could make the argument that his defense off-set his offensive struggles, but at a certain point, he needed to come out of his funk and he never did. Tough to stick with a two-guard who is mostly a defender in today's Big 10.
Tomorrow's Big Ten will look different than today's. Chasing current approaches will always make you a chaser. If you are copying someone else's approach you are typically just a cheap replica because you don't have what they have.

Defense alone should not get you starter minutes, especially at guard. It's the exact same reason Okogie is getting inconsistent bench minutes with the Wolves.

Was Gabe told he would be getting bench only minutes?

If you are copying someone else's approach, you are typically just a cheap replica because you don't have what they have.
A head coach with any head coaching experience?

Sorry, had to. ;)

Tomorrow's Big Ten will look different than today's. Chasing current approaches will always make you a chaser. If you are copying someone else's approach, you are typically just a cheap replica because you don't have what they have.

I'm not sure what that has to do with MRJ's comment but I will give two thoughts:

1) the Big Ten today doesn't look much different to me than the Big Ten of 10 years ago;

2) at this point, I don't think any coach out there is developing a brand new style of basketball; they're likely borrowing things from various sources

If Gabe wasn’t a Delasalle kid there wouldn’t be the same negative perception this creates. The treated like garbage side of it ? I would doubt in his day to day interaction with people anyone treated him like garbage because he was struggling shooting. Negativity on social media and forums are a fact of life everywhere.
A bunch of people behind keyboards taking down young people who are trying their best; what a sad state (not geographically speaking).

Get treated like garbage and be under appreciated and the guy will leave.
This is a ridiculous take.

Gabe started since the day he step foot on campus, way ahead of expectations. Gabe ran into some shooting troubles, but he had a very long leash. Was consistently one of the leaders in game time. How can a player possibly think they are treated like garbage and be under appreciated when they play more than most every other player on the team? Continued to get his starts and minutes when he hit a two year shooting slump. He had injuries that took him out of the starting line-up.

Yes, some fans got on his case and questioned why he got so much playing time. But if you problems with fan expectations then you should not be playing D1 basketball.

I'm not sure what that has to do with MRJ's comment but I will give two thoughts:

1) the Big Ten today doesn't look much different to me than the Big Ten of 10 years ago;

2) at this point, I don't think any coach out there is developing a brand new style of basketball; they're likely borrowing things from various sources
Things are different at the margin. The biggest change is people using analytics without the context of the analytics. It is pure foolishness. What will never change is good coaches put players in a position to succeed (from practice, to communications, to style, to role, to game situations, etc).

With Wisconsin basketball in need of pieces heading into the 2021-2022 season and the transfer portal as full as it has ever been, the Badgers are making the case to players who may fit the mold.

One of those names is Gabe Kalscheur

Despite his struggles this past year, there is good reason to believe that he can help nearly any contender in America.

Iowa State is recruiting Minnesota SG transfer Gabe Kalscheur (@GabrielKalsche1), his AAU coach tells me. Wisconsin, Georgia and Louisiana Tech are also involved.

Ok, he was being "recruited" by Wisconsin. So he was good enough to be recruited by them.

I mean yoou said it yourself, Wisconsin also needing many pieces.

Again, there is no word of a formal offer. Another program who has a lot of holes to fill, inquired about a player that could potentially fill a hole. Standard stuff.

He had a great looking shot, I’ll give him that. I wish him well. I don’t think this move will set the program back though, it’s probably the best for both sides.

No spin zone? No homer glasses opinion? ok.

1) Gabe is not the type of player Ben wants here. Not gritty enough. So Ben told him this much.

or

2) Gabe does not want to play for BJ or he does not believe in the vision that BJ has for the Gophers.

One of the best B1G defenders is now gone. Everyone said this staff, BJ, etc, is amazing at connecting with kids and we were gonna start building a wall around MN.

Best way to describe this, not a good start for the Ben Johnson era. To me Gabe is the type of kid we need to keep.
Looking at it another way, some players are not comfortable playing for a rookie coach especially after enduring the Covid derailed season that showed some promise only to be derailed by injuries. Then, they lost their coaches. It's not the end of the world. Some players are sticking around.

Ben Johnson has to earn his way to win games, and the hearts and minds of recruits. The heating Coyle temperature is always on simmer. Give it a chance. A slow-cooked recipe may be very delicious if done right. I expect buy-in by fans and players once he proves he can win.

The seat can get very hot to the point that the heating Coyle has to be replaced.
That's the risk of hiring inexperienced chefs.

But, if homegrown Chefs BJ and LW both learn how to cook and serve good BB cuisine, the establishment and the patrons will be happy campers. They are going to keep coming back.

This is a ridiculous take.

Gabe started since the day he step foot on campus, way ahead of expectations. Gabe ran into some shooting troubles, but he had a very long leash. Was consistently one of the leaders in game time. How can a player possibly think they are treated like garbage and be under appreciated when they play more than most every other player on the team? Continued to get his starts and minutes when he hit a two year shooting slump. He had injuries that took him out of the starting line-up.

Yes, some fans got on his case and questioned why he got so much playing time. But if you problems with fan expectations then you should not be playing D1 basketball.
It’s his feelings not my take! Do with it what you want.

LW may need to turn the crock pot knob from low to high soon.....

Gabe started since the day he step foot on campus, way ahead of expectations. Gabe ran into some shooting troubles, but he had a very long leash...Continued to get his starts and minutes when he hit a two year shooting slump.

I think what you've said here is the primary reason for fan irritation. Pitino yanked some players in and out like a yo-yo and noticeably dog-housed a few over his tenure but Gabe never sat no matter how badly he played. Many fans soured on the teacher a long time ago so it probably was inevitable that some of that resentment would spill over to the player who seemed like the teacher's pet.

Gabe may have even had a sense of this himself so a clean break where he can establish his own identity on a new team could be the right prescription.

Exactly. Gabe has what? A year or two left in his career? Johnson needs to think of the here and now, not establishing some new approach to Big 10 basketball because, quite frankly, Gabe isn't going to be around whenever this supposed new Big 10 arrives. He has to make decisions based on right now because that's what's immediately in front of him. And Gabe is a tough sell other than on the defensive end at the moment.

A head coach with any head coaching experience?

Sorry, had to. ;)
Ha. We will have a much better idea of what a Ben Johnson program will look like a year from now MplsG. One way or another, we will be on a certain trajectory. Words are great, results are easier to decipher.

Well, I'll give some possible theories anyway:

1) easy commute back and forth from the cities for weekend trips;
2) still gets to wear some gold in the uniform;
3) a lot of Minnesotans go there so he may know some people;
3) if he was feeling the pressure of expectations here, you can't get any less pressure than going to school in another state, from another conference, that finished 2-22 last year.
He certainly didn't go there to be part of a winning program. When SDSU beat the Cyclones early in the season, it seemed like a good win, but then they went on to only win 2 games and went 0 for the Big XII. I like Otz as a coach, but with the depth of strength in that conference, it doesn't seem like a quick turn-around is likely.

Exactly. Gabe has what? A year or two left in his career? Johnson needs to think of the here and now, not establishing some new approach to Big 10 basketball because, quite frankly, Gabe isn't going to be around whenever this supposed new Big 10 arrives. He has to make decisions based on right now because that's what's immediately in front of him. And Gabe is a tough sell other than on the defensive end at the moment.

The transfers we have landed. How many years do they have left of eligibility?

I like Otz as a coach, but with the depth of strength in that conference, it doesn't seem like a quick turn-around is likely.

Well, I guess it's a good thing then that Gabe has been acclimated to losing from his last two years here. That should keep the frustration to a manageable level.

Yes, Gabe is a good on-ball defender. But, there is no question he has gone through an extended shooting slump.

On a different team - maybe one with multiple outside shooting threats, you can afford to play a guy whose primary value is defense.

And - to be sure - no one on this board knows what might have been said between Gabe and Johnson. Maybe Johnson begged him to stay - or maybe Johnson encouraged him to look at other options.

Unless the Johnson hire is the total train wreck some people are predicting, I have to assume that Johnson had a blueprint in mind for this program. Maybe Gabe fits that blueprint - maybe he doesn't. I hope he does well at Iowa State.

The transfers we have landed. How many years do they have left of eligibility?

Battle would have two and a possible option year. The guards from Lafayette and William and Mary would have only one because they've already completed 4 years of eligibility. The player from U of New Hampshire who was mentioned on this board yesterday as expected although not announced yet (maybe isn't a definite) has one regular year (he sat out this year) and a potential option year.

It’s his feelings not my take! Do with it what you want.
Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes it is good to get a fresh start, but it has to be kept in context of what you are trying to get away from. Performance on a D1 team is always going to be highly scrutinized and not something that can be hidden. The leash he gets at ISU will be much shorter than it was here if he can't get back his shooting touch.

The frustration from a U fan perspective is that Gabe is a model for the type of player that we need at the U (and what Ben wants). Gabe was a very high character guy, very hard worker, overachiever, played hard, high basketball IQ, smart, great person, leader, teammate, performed under pressure, etc... He is the type of player that you build programs with. As a freshman, everyone was amazed at how mature he played. He stepped right in and played like a seasoned veteran. Did all of the little things right, made his teammates better and won games with his shooting. But, some where along the line he lost confidence in his shooting. That is something he has to deal with and correct. We wish it here at the U.

Looking at it another way, some players are not comfortable playing for a rookie coach especially after enduring the Covid derailed season that showed some promise only to be derailed by injuries. Then, they lost their coaches. It's not the end of the world. Some players are sticking around.

Ben Johnson has to earn his way to win games, and the hearts and minds of recruits. The heating Coyle temperature is always on simmer. Give it a chance. A slow-cooked recipe may be very delicious if done right. I expect buy-in by fans and players once he proves he can win.

The seat can get very hot to the point that the heating Coyle has to be replaced.
That's the risk of hiring inexperienced chefs.

But, if homegrown Chefs BJ and LW both learn how to cook and serve good BB cuisine, the establishment and the patrons will be happy campers. They are going to keep coming back.
Geez, now I'm hungry again and I ate breakfast not that long ago.

A bunch of people behind keyboards taking down young people who are trying their best; what a sad state (not geographically speaking).
It is social media in general that is a major problem with all of the toxicity.

But it is only a problem if you let it be one.

No one should let a band of fools direct their life.

Tomorrow's Big Ten will look different than today's. Chasing current approaches will always make you a chaser. If you are copying someone else's approach you are typically just a cheap replica because you don't have what they have.
Things are different at the margin. The biggest change is people using analytics without the context of the analytics. It is pure foolishness. What will never change is good coaches put players in a position to succeed (from practice, to communications, to style, to role, to game situations, etc).
I have to be dumb as rocks because I have no idea what you are talking about.

Top Bottom