Gabe in Portal

Defense is not hard to recruit.

What is hard to recruit is a defender that can also play offense. Don't get so caught up on how the kid plays defense. I can go out and grab a D2 kid that has zero effect on offense but can shut another kid down. Doesn't mean jack squat.

Well, a good example of that was Omersa. Athletic kid who played hard on the defensive end but had little in the way of offensive skills (other than being able to leap and dunk).

Clearly the guys are not buying in on Ben Johnson. Either Coyle was strapped down to make a racial hire and bring in someone who has ties to the black community in basketball in MN, or the U was strapped for cash on this hire. Already a loss for Ben Johnson not being able to 100% keep Gabe committed is a huge red flag. Should have just kept Pitino at this point...
Clearly? Hardly.

There are many examples of some of the most successful college basketball coaches in history of college basketball who got their start as a head coach at much more successful basketball schools than Minnesota. There are also examples of National Championship basketball coaches who weren't successful at their next stop.
Am aware. Nods to Tubby.

Clearly the guys are not buying in on Ben Johnson. Either Coyle was strapped down to make a racial hire and bring in someone who has ties to the black community in basketball in MN, or the U was strapped for cash on this hire. Already a loss for Ben Johnson not being able to 100% keep Gabe committed is a huge red flag. Should have just kept Pitino at this point...
Well keeping Pitino did not cross my mind. He is one of the bottom 10% of coaches who had 8 years at a Big 10 school. Are you thinking Ben will do worse.

Well, a good example of that was Omersa. Athletic kid who played hard on the defensive end but had little in the way of offensive skills (other than being able to leap and dunk).
Depends how you define offense. I know several players who were limited in shooting and scoring stats but they were incredibly efficient on offense. The guards could move the ball quickly, delivery from great angles, orchestrate and always get back. Plus they were truly elite on defense. Far better than Jarvis. The bigs that could not score that won conference titles, got to final 4's, won a national title were efficient, set the best screens anywhere and were all world defenders as conference defender of the year. Jarvis was inept offensively in every facet and was just OK as a defender, well below elite.

Depends how you define offense. I know several players who were limited in shooting and scoring stats but they were incredibly efficient on offense. The guards could move the ball quickly, delivery from great angles, orchestrate and always get back. Plus they were truly elite on defense. Far better than Jarvis. The bigs that could not score that won conference titles, got to final 4's, won a national title were efficient, set the best screens anywhere and were all world defenders as conference defender of the year. Jarvis was inept offensively in every facet and was just OK as a defender, well below elite.
Not on the team any longer. Stop 🛑

Defense isn't
His defense doesn't make up for his shortcomings in pretty much every other area.

Not a good shooter
Not a good rebounder
Not a good passer

He isn't bad but he isn't very good. His worth as a player is maybe 4th best on a good team. On any team where they expect him to positively contribute as one of the better players he will vastly disappoint.

Gabe hasn't hit the broad side of a barn in two years. I would not see this as a huge loss.
I see your point entirely but I think not being able to throw the ball into the ocean the last couple of years may have had to do with Pitino’s offensive system and not being conducive to creating rhythm shots as opposed to open shots that are not in rhythm. I think many shooters prefer the former over the latter.

His defense doesn't make up for his shortcomings in pretty much every other area.

Not a good shooter
Not a good rebounder
Not a good passer

He isn't bad but he isn't very good. His worth as a player is maybe 4th best on a good team. On any team where they expect him to positively contribute as one of the better players he will vastly disappoint.
Would you say good riddance to the 4th best player on our team leaving?

Apparently the 4th best player on a good team isn’t worth having.
That makes sense for Alabama since they have a habit of only putting 3 players on the court. Not sure if it makes sense for the Gophers though.

I agree with your take. I was only pointing out that former players, even underachieving ones (see Kendall Shell on twitter), have the opinion that the scholarship and other benefits are not worth what they contribute to the school and that they should be getting paid on top of those. While to your point, even a player who doesn't contribute on the floor in a meaningful way, still gets to enjoy all the benefits of being on the basketball team ALONG with getting a 4 yr scholarship. If your grades slip on an academic scholly, they pull it.
And this is ridiculous and shows how out of touch they are. They get some pay now, and travel. I know a lot of college kids who are working 30+ hours a week, and still taking out loans just to get through school. These guys get through school with no loans, have all kinds of food, great facilities to spend time in, and have amazing academic support. It is a lot that they get, and really should appreciate it.

Need to relax on Gabe. We don’t know how hard the coach even pushed to keep him. It could simply be that it was an honest evaluation of his performance, the role coach sees him in, and how he needs to improve that caused him to look. If it’s something like that I’m glad we have a coach being honest with players. Also, could be simply that he has an opportunity to check out another experience and is going to take advantage of that.

I always think there’s value in a local kid championing the program, especially now with Ben at the helm and the current talent level in state.
But you dont care if he stays or not. Great defender and was our 3rd leading scorer, but yet you can care less about whether he stays or not. What you think about the other guys on team? I'm afraid to hear what you have to say! If you dont want kalscheur you cant like many on team.

I hate to lose him because I would like to see how he shoots with a new coach. You don't shoot 41% on a whim.
In terms of defense, I think if he was known for his defense he would have been on the all defensive team this year.

Inept is a good word.

Yes, Jarvis was a tremendous athlete. Pitino recruited lots of great athletes, but not great basketball players. As has been discussed in the past, our teams could kick the Badger's asses if we were holding a track and field event (we were stronger, faster, quicker, could jump higher). But we couldn't shoot, pass, keep turnovers down, play D, etc. better than them. BJ needs to recruit basketball players, not just athletic guys.

Defensively we can't afford to lose him.

I think we can afford to lose him but, more importantly, I believe fairly strongly that we will lose him. If you think there are a fair number of players who enter the transfer portal but end up going back to their old teams, then you need to do a little research on the subject.

Overrated as a scorer, yes. Defensively we can't afford to lose him. One of the best defender in the B1G. Should have been a 6th man this year.
Defense is critical but sometimes it is easier to scheme/adjust for a player who can't defend well than it is for a guy who can't shoot or penetrate effectively or pass well.

Generally, ideally you want your 6th man to bring points off the bench. Give your team a boost that way...when you need a spark to close or widen the gap. Gabe doesn't get a lot of steals or rebounds so unless he is going to shut down the one guy scoring for the other team his impact as a 6th man isn't going to be huge.

Get two guys out there at the same time who can't score and again at this level....that will make it tough to score for the guys who normally can versus a talented coach.

I think we can afford to lose him but, more importantly, I believe fairly strongly that we will lose him. If you think there are a fair number of players who enter the transfer portal but end up going back to their old teams, then you need to do a little research on the subject.
I agree with you. However, this is not a typical year due to the vast number of players in the portal (heard a number of 1200 today) and many players will not have a landing spot to their liking. They may realize the grass was not greener on the other side. Now, will they be able to return to their original school? Who knows if their spot was filled already.

Top Bottom