Gabe in Portal

My opinion is while he plays good D and is a glue guy doesn't help on offense. I don't want him to leave but he isn't irreplaceable. He really should be coming off the bench unfortunately we didn't have better options. If he does leave best of luck and if he stays it's good for us with his defense.

Yeah I don't get this. If there was anyone on last year's roster that seemed to bleed maroon and gold it was Gabe. And he's essentially a guaranteed starter. Weird.

Yeah I don't get this. If there was anyone on last year's roster that seemed to bleed maroon and gold it was Gabe. And he's essentially a guaranteed starter. Weird.
Maybe he’s not. Who knows what Ben told him about needing to improve, what he is looking for out of him, and that he is bringing in players Gabe will have to compete with. Most effective coaches don’t promise anything, other than providing an honest assessment of skills and how that player fits. If the player doesn’t like it, especially this year, there are options.

Would you say good riddance to the 4th best player on our team leaving?
On a team that finished 6-14 in conference play and 14-15 overall?

Last year we were 8-12 in conference and 15-16 overall.

No big deal. I'm not rooting for him to go but in the grand scheme of things if he leaves it isn't going to hurt this team very much at all.

There is a 0% chance that this happened. Ben was hired because of his relationships with MN high school coaches and his ability to recruit because of that. Pushing Gabe out would piss off the exact coaches that Johnson needs to have a good relationship with. Just absolutely no chance at all that Ben pushed him out. Gabe is also one of the best defenders in the Big Ten. Would make no sense for so many reasons.
Haha thank you. That was one of the more ridiculous takes I've ever read on here

Gabe may have left even if Pitino had been retained. Good luck to him; could find a bench role on a stronger team next year.

I agree with you. However, this is not a typical year due to the vast number of players in the portal (heard a number of 1200 today) and many players will not have a landing spot to their liking. They may realize the grass was not greener on the other side. Now, will they be able to return to their original school? Who knows if their spot was filled already.

Sure, but more players in the portal than usual also means more available spaces than usual.

I looked up 2020 transfers in Verbal Commits. Although there were fewer than this year, there were more than usual last year - 1023 listed. I counted 81 of them that didn't have a destination school listed so at least 92% of them did find a place. As far as whether players were happy with those destinations, well you assume the risk of unhappiness with the result when you enter the transfer portal. Of course, going into the transfer portal in first place is prima facie evidence that you were feeling some discontent with your last school.

On a team that finished 6-14 in conference play and 14-15 overall?

Last year we were 8-12 in conference and 15-16 overall.

No big deal. I'm not rooting for him to go but in the grand scheme of things if he leaves it isn't going to hurt this team very much at all.
That’s my take. I’d rather have him. If we lose all players and bring nobody in but d3 guys...we get 14th next year instead of our last two years of 13th and 12th.

Sure, but more players in the portal than usual also means more available spaces than usual.

I looked up 2020 transfers in Verbal Commits. Although there were fewer than this year, there were more than usual last year - 1023 listed. I counted 81 of them that didn't have a destination school listed so at least 92% of them did find a place. As far as whether players were happy with those destinations, well you assume the risk of unhappiness with the result when you enter the transfer portal. Of course, going into the transfer portal in first place is prima facie evidence that you were feeling some discontent with your last school.
Just asking are there more spaces available? Freshman are coming in as they do but some Seniors who would normally be gone are staying. Seems possibly less spaces available? Thanks

Just asking are there more spaces available? Freshman are coming in as they do but some Seniors who would normally be gone are staying. Seems possibly less spaces available? Thanks
That is a great question. If someone knows differently, please chime in, but I believe seniors who stay for an additional year do not count towards the scholarship count. They are on scholarship I believe, but the school can still fill out their normal allotment in addition to the seniors who stay. Having said that, I do wonder how that works on the financial end (can the school find the money for two or three additional scholarships for the seniors that want to stay).

Can you carry more than 15 players now? 15 includes a couple walk ones.

That is a great question. If someone knows differently, please chime in, but I believe seniors who stay for an additional year do not count towards the scholarship count. They are on scholarship I believe, but the school can still fill out their normal allotment in addition to the seniors who stay. Having said that, I do wonder how that works on the financial end (can the school find the money for two or three additional scholarships for the seniors that want to stay).

Yes, that is true but, as you implied, whether to grant those extra scholarships is completely at the discretion of the institution. The Ivy League announced shortly after this rule change that they were not going to fund additional scholarships. I don't remember who said it (perhaps it was the commissioner of the Ivy League) but the words were something like "We believe our students should move on with their lives." At the same time I remember reading that Alvarez of Wisconsin also was not inclined toward granting these optional scholarships for additional years.

Yes, I guess that would be true.

Gabe had it in his mind for quite awhile to look around at his opportunities to win. He was used to winning before he came here and wants to look around.
And if he gets an offer he likes from a team that can win something, he gone.

Yes, that is true but, as you implied, whether to grant those extra scholarships is completely at the discretion of the institution. The Ivy League announced shortly after this rule change that they were not going to fund additional scholarships. I don't remember who said it (perhaps it was the commissioner of the Ivy League) but the words were something like "We believe our students should move on with their lives." At the same time I remember reading that Alvarez of Wisconsin also was not inclined toward granting these optional scholarships for additional years.

Ivy League doesn't do athletic scholarships at all, iirc.

If it looks like he has a vital role and they have been great then yes.
The question for Gabe is whether he might be willing to play in a 6th or 7th man role on a team that is expected to win big.

Ivy League doesn't do athletic scholarships at all, iirc.
I think they have a limit of 4 years, so if you redshirt a year you have to transfer to play a 5th season on scholarship
Yes, Laura Bagwell Katalinich on the women's team, came from Cornell because she couldn't play a 5th year in the Ivy league.

People say gabe is not a big ten starter. Come on hes an elite defender and he averaged 10 pts a game in big ten. If he plays at ohio state he still starts, but may not be required to score a ton, but anybody who thinks gabe is not a big ten starter is out of their mind.

People say gabe is not a big ten starter. Come on hes an elite defender and he averaged 10 pts a game in big ten. If he plays at ohio state he still starts, but may not be required to score a ton, but anybody who thinks gabe is not a big ten starter is out of their mind.
He doesn't start on 9 or 10 B1G teams.

This "elite defender" crap is what people say when they can't find any other excuse.

It's not even true, and good teams don't start wings for "elite defense" alone anyway.

He doesn't start on 9 or 10 B1G teams.

This "elite defender" crap is what people say when they can't find any other excuse.

It's not even true, and good teams don't start wings for "elite defense" alone anyway.
Let's assume you're right:

Freshman year: who starts before him?

Sophomore year: who starts before him?

Junior year: who starts before hime?

Why is Gabe the whipping boy?

Just stop the BS and say "I don't like him because he pissed in my Fruit Loops".

My guess is Gabe leaves MN ... MN is even worse than they were over the past 2 and you put out posts about how they really miss Mashburn.

You are a TROLL!

Let's assume you're right:

Freshman year: who starts before him?

Sophomore year: who starts before him?

Junior year: who starts before hime?

Why is Gabe the whipping boy?

Just stop the BS and say "I don't like him because he pissed in my Fruit Loops".

My guess is Gabe leaves MN ... MN is even worse than they were over the past 2 and you put out posts about how they really miss Mashburn.

You are a TROLL!
Uh...I said Kalschuer doesn't start on 9 or 10 B1G teams.

That obviously leaves 4 or 5, where he WOULD.

Including the bottom dwelling Gophers.

The post I responded to implied Kalschuer would be a starter on every B1G team.

I don’t think that's close to true.

Try to keep up.

Uh...I said Kalschuer doesn't start on 9 or 10 B1G teams.

That obviously leaves 4 or 5, where he WOULD.

Including the bottom dwelling Gophers.

Try to keep up.
He was a key player as a freshman on a NCAA Tournament winning team ... where were you then/

Carr has never been a member of a NCAA winning team ... as have any of the new recruits

He was a key player as a freshman on a NCAA Tournament winning team ... where were you then/
I was here, calling for Pitino's head.

I was correct then, I'm correct now.

Top Bottom