Former Gophers QB Phillip Nelson arrested in his hometown of Mankato for assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was there last night but didn't see it happen. This is a very unfortunate situation and I pray Isaac can make a full recovery.

Why can't this say "Rutgers QB Nelson..."?

Oops. I posted the above before I even read the article. Obviously, this is a very serious situation. Sorry, if I offended anyone.

For the life of me I've never understood what makes people want to fight. I used to drink and go out a lot when I was younger, but fighting never crossed my mind at any time. I just don't get it.

Because you aren't a meathead I'm guessing?

Terribly sad for the victim. Young kids make horrible decisions, especially when alcohol is involved (this is not confirmed, but I would be shocked if it was not) - I made terrible decisions when I was young and drunk too. If this kid dies, P Nelson is going to prison if found guilty.

I hope that the victim survives and can fully recover.

Let's not blame this on alcohol. Drunk idiots don't kick people in the face when they're down. It takes a special kind of idiot.

Alcohol was probably involved, but that isn't an excuse.

Let's not blame this on alcohol. Drunk idiots don't kick people in the face when they're down. It takes a special kind of idiot.

Alcohol was probably involved, but that isn't an excuse.

Not true. Alcohol can be a mitigating factor to limit what can be charged. People don't want to blame alcohol, but the law allows it to a degree.

Not true. Alcohol can be a mitigating factor to limit what can be charged. People don't want to blame alcohol, but the law allows it to a degree.

Well I am not a lawyer by any means, but I would hope that is taken more into account in cases like date rape and not potential first degree murder charges.

If one of the bars was serving alcohol to Nelson they are facing some serious legal issues as well.

Well I am not a lawyer by any means, but I would hope that is taken more into account in cases like date rape and not potential first degree murder charges.

Wait for it...........

Not sure date rape was the example you were looking for.

What a terrible situation this is.

It sounds awesome to say "walk away", but elite athletes that are pushed to be physically tougher than everyone generally do not walk away from another man questioning their toughness; that's just not in the football culture. Some of you on here it may sound simple to, but I'm guessing you're 5'11" 175 lbs and so the decision is an easy one for you.

The irony here is you're probably a little bitch with an inferiority complex

I will say that it is much easier to walk away when you are a 50 year old adult compared to a 20 year old college kid. Its not exactly unheard of to hear of a college football player getting in a fight. Remember with Hageman. Max Bullough, the academic all american comes to mind as well. Kicking a kid in the head forcing him to the ICU is too far though.

Ya think?

One thing a lot of people don't understand is that self defense goes out the window once the other person is no longer a threat but continues to be hit which at this point it becomes an assault. If Isaac did hit his head on the ground and was no longer a threat, PN or anyone else who may have hit him after he was unable to defend himself will definitely be charged with assault. If the reports are true, PN is going to be charged with assault and will most likely do time. Regardless of what happens to PN, Isaac's life and we'll being is the most important thing at this time. As others have pointed out, what a senseless tragedy.

If one of the bars was serving alcohol to Nelson they are facing some serious legal issues as well.

True, but guessing he was bar hopping, unless there's a receipt no way to prove which bar served him. Anyways never thought of Nelson as a thug, even when drunk, there's gotta be something sinister in you to kick a guy in the head while down. Guess you don't know someone until you know them.

True, but guessing he was bar hopping, unless there's a receipt no way to prove which bar served him. Anyways never thought of Nelson as a thug, even when drunk, there's gotta be something sinister in you to kick a guy in the head while down. Guess you don't know someone until you know them.

False.

A lot of bars have security cameras, inside and out.

Lets not gang up on Nelson until we actually know the facts.

What we do know is that this Kolstad kid played at his rival Mankato East and also at NDSU. I'm guessing he was lip jacking Nelson and maybe got what he was asking for (a fight), and lost. If Nelson got baited into a fight and whooped the dude's ass then hopefully nothing happens to Nelson. If Nelson was looking for a fight and did that, then shame on him.

_Let's wait for the facts and in the meantime, I'll make some up

Speechless. Philip Nelson is, and should, be going to prison for quite a while. Kicking someone in the head? That's the act of a madman. There is no place in society for that. That's not a mistake.

Phil is a good kid. Let's not trip over each other trying to vilify him something along these lines could happen to any of our kids'. Let's just hope for the best for everyone involved.

Then your comprehension of my posts is incorrect. I'm saddened as hell to hear of this guys current state, hoping like hell he pulls through. I just don't understand how if one guy starts a fight with another guy, and this happens to him, how the guys who got pulled into the fight can get vilified. I know the law doesn't care, but if I picked a fight and entered into it willingly, I have a hard time sending one of those guys to jail based on this freak outcome. But the lynch mob is out and Nelson will be ruined either way.

Are you in 8th grade?

I feel tremendous sadness and anger for the Kolstad family and friends. To find out a former Gopher could and would do something like this just adds to the emotions.

Phil is a good kid. Let's not trip over each other trying to vilify him something along these lines could happen to any of our kids'. Let's just hope for the best for everyone involved.

My kid never got drunk and kicked someone

My kid never got drunk and kicked someone

No but odds are they have driven drunk a time or two an/or done a lot of things that could have gone horribly wrong. Holier than thou attitudes have no place here it's a bad deal for all the involved parties.

No but odds are they have driven drunk a time or two an/or done a lot of things that could have gone horribly wrong. Holier than thou attitudes have no place here it's a bad deal for all the involved parties.

Drunk driving and repeatedly beating an unconscious defenseless man are neither as cognitively nor emotionally similar as you want them to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom