Former Gophers QB Phillip Nelson arrested in his hometown of Mankato for assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kolstad has a wife and kids. Just an incredibly sad situation.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Kolstad has a wife and kids. Just an incredibly sad situation.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

He has one child with another due in a few weeks. Sad stuff. Hopefully he pulls through.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Here is jailhouse mug shot for former Gophers QB Phillip Nelson. Accused of assault in downtown Mankato. His hometown <a href="http://t.co/umxp9PAjOl">pic.twitter.com/umxp9PAjOl</a></p>— Paul Blume (@PaulBlume_FOX9) <a href="https://twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9/statuses/465601984049860608">May 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Assault witness, "His head hit the ground.And then coming from other angle, a kid came & kicked him." Phillip Nelson said to do the kicking.</p>— Paul Blume (@PaulBlume_FOX9) <a href="https://twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9/statuses/465634002607800320">May 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Witness in Phillip Nelson alleged assault says she watched person punch Isaac Kolstad. Smashed head on ground. Then he got kicked in head.</p>— Paul Blume (@PaulBlume_FOX9) <a href="https://twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9/statuses/465626861180301312">May 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

This is just a horrible situation all the way around. Prayers that Kolstad can recover and live his life the way he was before the fight.

Then your comprehension of my posts is incorrect. I'm saddened as hell to hear of this guys current state, hoping like hell he pulls through. I just don't understand how if one guy starts a fight with another guy, and this happens to him, how the guys who got pulled into the fight can get vilified. I know the law doesn't care, but if I picked a fight and entered into it willingly, I have a hard time sending one of those guys to jail based on this freak outcome. But the lynch mob is out and Nelson will be ruined either way.

Your sensibilities are contrary to the law and society.

Also, if true, then Nelson is a thug.

Nelson better hope for Kolstad's complete recovery. If Kolstad has any kind of significant deficit, they can change the charge to 1ST Degree Assault, with the max sentence changing from 5yrs to 20 yrs. Sentencing guidelines will mean a lighter sentence, of course if Kolstad dies, Murder and Manslaughter come into play.

Nelson better hope for Kolstad's complete recovery. If Kolstad has any kind of significant deficit, they can change the charge to 1ST Degree Assault, with the max sentence changing from 5yrs to 20 yrs. Sentencing guidelines will mean a lighter sentence, of course if Kolstad dies, Murder and Manslaughter come into play.

This is unbelievable.

Nelson should be happy he is at Rutgers and that they are waiting for the legal process to play out.

Kill would have cut the punk 6 hours ago for even having his name attached to a case so terrible.

In a split second, several promising young peoples' lives were ruined. Sad.

Nelson should be happy he is at Rutgers and that they are waiting for the legal process to play out.

Kill would have cut the punk 6 hours ago for even having his name attached to a case so terrible.

No doubt Rutgers will kick him off the team fairly soon.

I wish these kids could have those few minutes back. For everyone's sake.

So true. PN has to deal with the consequences of what he did, but it is sad to see 1 bad decision a 20-year old makes have such a devastating impact on so many, including himself.

This case is a perfect example of why as an adult you walk away unless you are assaulted. Fights between adults usually result in someone getting hurt and someone facing charges.

When are people gonna learn that nothing good happens after midnight.

If the eyewitness statements are indeed correct and he was kicking him while on the ground, corroborated by security cameras, etc Philip will be doing some hard time. The least of his concerns will be football.

Prayers to this young family. Philip will be tormented by thoughts of his life wasted but this family faces far worse if my fears are correct.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Isaac Kolstad friend just announced Isaac in extreme, extreme critical condition with brain trauma. "Going to be long road."</p>— Paul Blume (@PaulBlume_FOX9) <a href="https://twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9/statuses/465667627616980992">May 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Isaac Kolstad friend just announced Isaac in extreme, extreme critical condition with brain trauma. "Going to be long road."</p>— Paul Blume (@PaulBlume_FOX9) <a href="https://twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9/statuses/465667627616980992">May 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
Welp, nice knowing ya PN.

For the life of me I've never understood what makes people want to fight. I used to drink and go out a lot when I was younger, but fighting never crossed my mind at any time. I just don't get it.

Same here, just feel horrible for everyone involved. I'm certain all involved wish they could hit rewind and make different decisions.

I don't understand this line of reasoning. Philip Nelson made a conscious decision to kick a defenseless individual in the head. Feel bad for the victim, not Philip Nelson. I'm sure he wants it back but he should've considered the consequences beforehand.

I wish these kids could have those few minutes back. For everyone's sake.

Kids? At what age do kids become adults? The victim is 24, married and a father. Philip is 20 and can't be tried as a juvenile. I'm hoping Philip gets the felony conviction.

I'm guessing that Pat won't be running to the media after this, like he usually does.

Terribly sad for the victim. Young kids make horrible decisions, especially when alcohol is involved (this is not confirmed, but I would be shocked if it was not) - I made terrible decisions when I was young and drunk too. If this kid dies, P Nelson is going to prison if found guilty.

I hope that the victim survives and can fully recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom