Former Gophers QB Phillip Nelson arrested in his hometown of Mankato for assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

STrib: Family of ex-football player injured in assault says he is walking each day in rehab

The former Minnesota State, Mankato, football player who was injured in a fight is now walking up to 200 feet a day.

The Mankato Free Press reports Isaac Kolstad has also snapped his fingers, and can complete small tasks by himself — such as removing his own socks.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/265692511.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Isaac!!

I am really happy to hear Isaac is progressing! Great news!

I wish Issac the best with rapid improvement. With traumatic brain injuries it's the first year that's most important, the more progress early, the better the outcome.

you are aware that philip n. has lingering injuries from the attack ...right?

I wish Issac the best with rapid improvement. With traumatic brain injuries it's the first year that's most important, the more progress early, the better the outcome.

Philip Nelson was attacked andhad to drop out of college due to lingereing injuries. the strib doesn't seem interested in nelson's recovery

Philip Nelson was attacked andhad to drop out of college due to lingereing injuries. the strib doesn't seem interested in nelson's recovery

Did he have to have your lips removed from his pooter?

when the case begins you will hear something similar. please be prepared

Dr. Don can perform that operation

Sorry Halsey. Wrong side. Unless you can't tell front from back. And if such is true, I have a new exploratory surgery I would be willing to perform on you.

Is Nelson still in jail? Is he still facing charges? I haven't kept up to date on this story.

I still think Kolstad should be charged. If he doesn't attack Nelson, then he's not brain damaged. The only reason he hasn't been is that it'd worsen the DA's case against Nelson. It's pretty tough to argue that Kolstad didn't commit a crime if you argue that Nelson did.

Nelson started it period, he's culpable, don't forget it's on tape but that part of the tape hasn't been released. Nelson will have his day in court at which time the tape will become public. I suspect that we are looking at 6 to 9 months before it starts because it'll take at least that long for to medically establish an ultimate prognosis for Kolstad.

Nelson started it period, he's culpable, don't forget it's on tape but that part of the tape hasn't been released. Nelson will have his day in court at which time the tape will become public. I suspect that we are looking at 6 to 9 months before it starts because it'll take at least that long for to medically establish an ultimate prognosis for Kolstad.

Kolstad did start it with a push in the back. Why is a 24 year old who is married with a kid out at a college bar starting trouble? Guilty parties to go around.

You froget that Nelson got into Kolstads face and confronted him he was the instigator he got pushed left the scene and came back and kicked Kolstad in the head while he was defenseless. It wasn't continuous ,the law will look at the first set of actions as harmless ,the second set as criminal, a jury will settle this argument soon enough.

You froget that Nelson got into Kolstads face and confronted him he was the instigator he got pushed left the scene and came back and kicked Kolstad in the head while he was defenseless. It wasn't continuous ,the law will look at the first set of actions as harmless ,the second set as criminal, a jury will settle this argument soon enough.

Seriously though, why wasn't Kolstad charged with misdemeanor assault? He punched Nelson. The law doesn't allow you to punch someone from behind, as long as the result is harmless. From what I gather the logic in charging criminals in Mankato is the inverse of getting a penalty for fighting in EASports' NHL hockey game, which I believe was an option at some point in the early to mid 90's.

Why is a 24 year old who is married with a kid out at a college bar starting trouble? Guilty parties to go around.

Please. Why is an <s>underage moron</s> prima donna out at bar close kicking guys lying on the ground? Let him have his day in court and if a jury of his peers finds him innocent, then we'll have a better idea of the truth.

Kolstad did start it with a push in the back. Why is a 24 year old who is married with a kid out at a college bar starting trouble? Guilty parties to go around.

Would it change your opinion of the events that occurred if Kolstad was not married with a child? As it turns out........even married individuals go out to the bars with their friends every once in while.

Wrong. Initially, Nelson never touched Kolstad, so no crime was committed. Being a jealous d-bag is not a crime. By all accounts Nelson was walking away from the incident & was being distracted by Kolstad's friend, when Kolstad attacked him from behind & floored him. The police called it a "punch", not a "shove" & said it was to his "upper back". How do you know he wasn't trying to punch him in the back of the head? Who punches a guy in the upper back? The police described Kolstad as 280lbs, but let's say they were wrong & he was only 230lbs. That's still a huge guy blind siding someone & it ought to piss you off to the same degree you're pissed at nelson. If you were at the bar & saw a guy that size sucker punch someone while his friend was distracting them you would have cheered when Trevor Shelley clocked him. Then you would have cringed when Kolstad went limp, didn't get his hands out, fell backwards & splatted his head on the concrete. Then you would have gotten sick to your stomach when Nelson got up in a rage after being sucker punched, broke free from Kolstad's friend who was still trying to restrain him & kicked Kolstad in the head. Your version is so warped it's almost hard to believe. I'm sorry Kolstad got hurt, I have a wife & kids, I get it. But to pretend that Kolstad was an innocent victim in this is preposterous.

Please. Why is an <s>underage moron</s> prima donna out at bar close kicking guys lying on the ground? Let him have his day in court and if a jury of his peers finds him innocent, then we'll have a better idea of the truth.

Why is it not possible that they both committed crimes and both deserve punishment?

Why is it not possible that they both committed crimes and both deserve punishment?

Ding! Ding! Ding!

I believe this is a symptom of current culture in America. Blame is not something that can be shared. Blame must be placed on one side of an argument or decision. Arguments (e.g. politics, business, sports) are crafted so that the solutions are made to appear as diametrically opposed choices. Compromise is not something that is sought or rewarded.

It's a bit sad. And it comes to life brilliantly on message boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom