Former Gophers QB Phillip Nelson arrested in his hometown of Mankato for assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kolstad a father again

Wife gave birth in the same hospital...

MANKATO, Minn. -- The wife of a former Minnesota State football player who was critically injured in a beating has given birth to the couple's second daughter.

Molly Kolstad gave birth to the girl on Wednesday at Mayo Clinic Health System in Mankato. Hospital spokesman Kevin Burns told KTOE Radio that both mother and daughter are doing well.

Isaac Kolstad is in critical condition at the same hospital.

The 24-year-old Kolstad suffered a brutal beating outside a bar in Mankato on May 11. Prosecutors have charged former University of Minnesota quarterback Philip Nelson, 20, of Mankato, and Trevor Shelley, 21, of St. Peter, with assaulting Kolstad.

Isaac Kolstad was able to respond to verbal commands this week. But a post on his CaringBridge site also said he had been diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis, raising concern about the possibility of dangerous blood clotting.

maybe i'm heartless.

i don't really care about the plantiff and defendants in this case.

What nonsense. If someone donated $100,001 to Nelson's defense fund (which to my knowledge doesn't exist), it wouldn't prove anything. Kolstad is receiving money because he's in need of medical attention & people are raising money for him. It's a good cause, I hope much more is raised, but certainly doesn't "say it all".

I don't get why anyone would give money to Kolstad. He is in this situation because he sucker punched another individual. He could have prevented all of this. While, he did not deserve what Nelson did to him (until more facts come out, he may or may not have deserved to be allegedly punched by Shelley). I hope Kolstad recovers and he publicly admits to his wrongdoing. Better yet, Nelson's attorney should tear him apart on the stand.

If you believe in justice and equality, then Kolstad should be charged with assault for his attack on Nelson.

To be fair, it is entirely possible that Kolstad could be charged with assault. The rest of what he said is bewildering.
I do think that the response kellyleeks had was a little harsh, but from reports it sounds like he sucker punched Nelson, and then Kolstad was sucker punched by Shelley. The odds of Nelson getting knocked out, and hitting his head on the ground hard enough to cause brain damage were probably similar to that happening to Kolstad, which did. Either way they were both wrong and it is a tragedy that this happened to Kolstad. They should both be charged, and the media along with all the people discussing this should stop acting like Nelson is a terrible monster. Shelley did to Kolstad, what Kolstad did to Nelson. Nelson then made a terrible decision he could have easily avoided, but in a matter of my opinion it was because Kolstad sucker punched him. The only reason people are condemning Nelson and constantly playing it off like its all his fault is because he is an athlete, and that is wrong. None of this is right, and none of the outcome is good. No whining or bashing is gonna take back what happened that night. People should lay off all three as they all had a significant impact in this, and let the courts decide what is right.

I do think that the response Gopherguy had was a little harsh, but from reports it sounds like he sucker punched Nelson, and then Kolstad was sucker punched by Shelley. The odds of Nelson getting knocked out, and hitting his head on the ground hard enough to cause brain damage were probably similar to that happening to Kolstad, which did. Either way they were both wrong and it is a tragedy that this happened to Kolstad. They should both be charged, and the media along with all the people discussing this should stop acting like Nelson is a terrible monster. Shelley did to Kolstad, what Kolstad did to Nelson. Nelson then made a terrible decision he could have easily avoided, but in a matter of my opinion it was because Kolstad sucker punched him. The only reason people are condemning Nelson and constantly playing it off like its all his fault is because he is an athlete, and that is wrong. None of this is right, and none of the outcome is good. No whining or bashing is gonna take back what happened that night. People should lay off all three as they all had a significant impact in this, and let the courts decide what is right.

What did I say that was harsh? I simply pointed out that it's entirely possible that Kolstad could be charged with assault.

I forgot. Rule number one: if someone does anything to you ever, its OK to do it back. All bets are off and I'm justified. Why? Because I'm me and you are you, so f () ck you.

Wow.

I forgot. Rule number one: if someone does anything to you ever, its OK to do it back. All bets are off and I'm justified. Why? Because I'm me and you are you, so f () ck you.

Wow.

Reminds me of the limerick:

Here's to you, and here's to me.
In hopes we never disagree.
But if we do,
Fuch you.
Here's to ME!

Wow.

Pathetic. No one said even close to that. No one is justifying Nelson's actions. They're simply pointing out that Kolstad assaulted Nelson before any other assault occurred that night, which is a fact of the case.

Pathetic. No one said even close to that. No one is justifying Nelson's actions. They're simply pointing out that Kolstad assaulted Nelson before any other assault occurred that night, which is a fact of the case.

That angle doesn't play here because Nelson left the team therefore Nelson is a bad person therefore it was not a split second terrible decision but rather a well planned attack on Nelson's part.

Nelson deserves to and will get punished for his actions but people need to stop trying to turn him into some kind of monster of a human being who supposedly goes around kicking people in the head because he thinks it is the right thing to do.

He made a terrible lapse in judgement, one he will pay for for the rest of his life and one I would bet almost anything he wishes like hell he could take back.

No guys it doesn't play here because no one has an excuse to hit someone. Sorry, this is not the stone age. Hit first, you are an idiot. Hit second, and you are no better. This wisdom just comes with age. No good can ever come from anyone assaulting anyone. Ever. I didn't ever say Kolstad was right. He wasn't. But Nelson had a opportunity to end it, and boy, did he ever. He ended the fight, his football career, and pretty much normal life for Kolstad and himself. If anyone I know did what either did I would be ashamed.

Amy Senser killed a man that had intoxicating levels of drugs in his system. A man whose car ran out of gas because his judgment was clouded. Want to touch that one?

That's about it. Done on this subject.

Highwayman, are you really going to ride off in sunset after that last post? Very well stated.

I don't get why anyone would give money to Kolstad. He is in this situation because he sucker punched another individual.

Part of this I agree with.

If what has been published is true, and if in fact IK was the true instigator of the situation, then yes, I agree - I would never give him any money OR feel sorry for him and his situation in the least. If the released facts are true I don't understand the outpouring of support for someone who instigated the entire situation in the first place. I do feel sorry for the wife and children of IK who along with the families of those involved and charged will be the only true real victims of this situation.

I don't agree he is in this situation because he allegedly sucker punched another individual. Again, if the released reports are true, nobody deserves to be put within an inch of his or her life for allegedly starting a situation with a shove or punch. Now, that doesn't mean I feel any sympathy for IK - it only means that he did not deserve this fate - and the alleged retaliation to a punch is why PN and Shelly are charged with a crime.

A couple points:

Initial reports adi Nelson was angry because the bouncer at the club fawned on his girlfriend. Intially Nelson thought Kolstad was the bouncer.
Other initial reports claimed Kolstad punched Nelson from behind "in a non-violent way". No I don't know what that means.

I fully agree with Highwayman that this should not have escalated.

Highwayman was politely asking Mods to lock this thread. I agree.

Kolstad being a bad person and Nelson being a bad person are not mutually exclusive. In this case (in my opinion) Nelson is clearly a worse person. If the story would have been Nelson ran his mouth at Kolstad, Kolstad sucker punched Nelson from behind, and then Nelson gave him a dirty look and walked away, then the story would be that Nelson got sucker punched by some drunk thug at a bar. Obviously, that is not what happened, and Nelson ended up kicking the guy on the ground. In my opinion, that makes Nelson a much worse drunk thug, but it does not change what Kolstad did. How can Kolstad's conduct be more or less blameworthy because of something that happened after his conduct was done that he had no control over?

I think someone earlier drew the comparison to the guy who laid a trap for the thieves who were breaking into their house. If the kids don't get shot, they are two thieves who nobody has any sympathy for. The guy did lay in wait and murder them. That makes the guy a murderer. Murder is much worse than theft, the guy deserves whatever he gets for the murder charge, and is a much worse person than the thieves. Doesn't change the fact that the thieves were thieves and that I don't think they were good people (it also does not mean I am saying they deserved the death penalty that they received for stealing).

Kolstad being a bad person and Nelson being a bad person are not mutually exclusive. In this case (in my opinion) Nelson is clearly a worse person. If the story would have been Nelson ran his mouth at Kolstad, Kolstad sucker punched Nelson from behind, and then Nelson gave him a dirty look and walked away, then the story would be that Nelson got sucker punched by some drunk thug at a bar. Obviously, that is not what happened, and Nelson ended up kicking the guy on the ground. In my opinion, that makes Nelson a much worse drunk thug, but it does not change what Kolstad did. How can Kolstad's conduct be more or less blameworthy because of something that happened after his conduct was done that he had no control over?

I think someone earlier drew the comparison to the guy who laid a trap for the thieves who were breaking into their house. If the kids don't get shot, they are two thieves who nobody has any sympathy for. The guy did lay in wait and murder them. That makes the guy a murderer. Murder is much worse than theft, the guy deserves whatever he gets for the murder charge, and is a much worse person than the thieves. Doesn't change the fact that the thieves were thieves and that I don't think they were good people (it also does not mean I am saying they deserved the death penalty that they received for stealing).

I know nothing of this story, but if someone is breaking into your house you have no idea if they have guns or what their intent is. The homeowner has every right to defend themselves in my opinion, so I don't agree with that comparison.

I know nothing of this story, but if someone is breaking into your house you have no idea if they have guns or what their intent is. The homeowner has every right to defend themselves in my opinion, so I don't agree with that comparison.

You should probably learn about that story then. If you have the stomach for it, listen to the audio clip made by the shooter.

You should probably learn about that story then. If you have the stomach for it, listen to the audio clip made by the shooter.

I've got a pretty mean stomach. I'll give it a google.

EDIT: I do actually remember hearing about this case back when it happened. It was a while ago wasn't it? I heard the audio clip. Pretty sick stuff on that audio recording.

I would feel differently had he given one lethal shot to each intruder and not acted like a hungry serial killer. However, the audio clip changes things. If I had a family down in that basement with me and a gun for protection (I don't own a gun btw), I probably end that confrontation pretty quickly. Once you enter my house, we are past the point of talking as I don't know what you're capable of. Though I can't say for sure as I hope to never be in that situation.

I've got a pretty mean stomach. I'll give it a google.

EDIT: I do actually remember hearing about this case back when it happened. It was a while ago wasn't it? I heard the audio clip. Pretty sick stuff on that audio recording.

I would feel differently had he given one lethal shot to each intruder and not acted like a hungry serial killer. However, the audio clip changes things. If I had a family down in that basement with me and a gun for protection (I don't own a gun btw), I probably end that confrontation pretty quickly. Once you enter my house, we are past the point of talking as I don't know what you're capable of. Though I can't say for sure as I hope to never be in that situation.

The actual event happened Thanksgiving 2012, but the trial and verdict were about a month ago. So the limelight of the story was very recent.

did the srtib have any news on how Philip is doing with his injuries that mr. kolstad caused?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom