Former Gopher coach Jerry Kill becomes first NMSU coach to defeat a SEC opponent.

Please tell me their record the year before Fleck took over. I'll wait.
Since this appears to be your only argument please tell me the formula we should use to measure a coaches success based on the record of the team they took over. I need to set expectations correctly for the next coach here.

Just stop, Kill’s coaching career doesn’t compare to Fleck’s despite the age difference. If Kill could sustain a job he’d have ups and downs too.

He just quits when the going gets tough, like he did when he was having his first down year in 2015.

Since this appears to be your only argument please tell me the formula we should use to measure a coaches success based on the record of the team they took over. I need to set expectations correctly for the next coach here.
I was just pointing out that he was wrong about Fleck not taking over a 9-4 team.

You can create your own formula for whatever you need.

I was just pointing out that he was wrong about Fleck not taking over a 9-4 team.

You can create your own formula for whatever you need.

He didn't take over a 9-4 team. He took over a team that had a fraction of those players.

The fact that 7 years later you still can't stop posting about Ol Jer, who is a worse coach than PJ in every way, shows how little you know about football in general.

He didn't take over a 9-4 team. He took over a team that had a fraction of those players.

The fact that 7 years later you still can't stop posting about Ol Jer, who is a worse coach than PJ in every way, shows how little you know about football in general.
I see I am talking to people that live an alternate reality.

Living up to that Weather Guy moniker. Where it's all right to barely be right.

I'm signing out of this thread as well.

Have a good one.

Have a good one.

Aw shucks, take your ball and go home because you can't argue with facts. What a shock, you quit just like Ol Jer.

Yes there is, but I want to make a post about a former Gopher's coach accomplishments. Both college football and Gopher related. Hardly outside the realm of threads here.
Some of the Flecksters have so villainized a former coach it is sad, a coach who set up Fleck for success here. Kill did really good things and had us playing to win the Big Ten West at Madison. Way to go Jerry!
Lol what is your deal dude? Do you hate Fleck or love Kill or all of the above or what?

As said previously, this weird hyper-obsession with a failed B1G coach that had serious attitude problems while employed is jumping the shark mate. And acknowledging Kill’s failure is not advocating Fleck.

Kill failed and left. It’s ok to post about his career trajectory or related wins but the volume of these posts and the insistence of his capabilities (when that didn’t happen while given an honest shot here) is wild.
Rewrite history. He’s a former coach who had success here, playing for the Big Ten Wesr championship on the final week of the season. If that’s a failure then Fleck has failed as he hasn’t achieved more than that, and his best season is largely a result of the players Kill recruited and left him. You are so blinded by your love for Fleck that you can’t see the good Kill did and how that set up Fleck early, and how he has pissed away the West when it has never been as weak as it has been since he’s been here.

Won 9-games, beat Auburn, if he can do the impossible and win the Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl, those are 3 big check marks that would put him in consideration for greatest coach of all time.

Some of the Flecksters have so villainized a former coach it is sad, a coach who set up Fleck for success here. Kill did really good things and had us playing to win the Big Ten West at Madison. Way to go Jerry!

Rewrite history. He’s a former coach who had success here, playing for the Big Ten Wesr championship on the final week of the season. If that’s a failure then Fleck has failed as he hasn’t achieved more than that, and his best season is largely a result of the players Kill recruited and left him. You are so blinded by your love for Fleck that you can’t see the good Kill did and how that set up Fleck early, and how he has pissed away the West when it has never been as weak as it has been since he’s been here.

Why are you referencing Fleck? I keep saying that isn’t relevant. Kill being a failure is completely divorced from Fleck.

I am not a Fleck fan, but Kill was obviously incapable of the job, both in health and in competence.

I agree this season is a failure but that is completely predictable because losing is baked into the marrow of this program. Countless, statistical-violating losses year-after-year. Look at our best comeback - what was it like 10 points 20 years ago against Indy? We cannot overcome even the slightest deficits while other teams easily and consistently overcome what should be insurmountable leads for the Gophs.

The Mizzou basketball game from Thurs is another drop in this bucket. In a few years few will remember the context of that overwhelming collapse, but it is so essentially indicative of what being a Gopher fan entails.

Gopher fandom is painful. But watching kill was pain on pain - a hat on a hat. Dude didn’t have it and we are all better off that he is gone.

Complete nonsense. Kill was gone for 1.5 years before Fleck took over and Claeys left virtually nothing on offense. More than 80% of the 2019 roster was Flecks recruits. Fleck has also played for the division title on the last weekend of the season.

You want to talk about revisionist history? Longing for the days of this:

Screen Shot 2023-11-19 at 10.04.10 AM.png

Instead of this:

Screen Shot 2023-11-19 at 10.04.47 AM.png

Coming into yesterday, PJ's B1G record was the same as Ol Jer's overall record here.

If I had to pick Kill/Fleck or the field I’m leaning towards the field. Fleck needs a huge offseason to keep prr we people coming to games.

I do think it’s pretty cool how Kill can win anywhere and with completely different staffs under him. He truly knows what he’s doing.

If I had to pick Kill/Fleck or the field I’m leaning towards the field. Fleck needs a huge offseason to keep prr we people coming to games.

I do think it’s pretty cool how Kill can win anywhere and with completely different staffs under him. He truly knows what he’s doing.

He can’t win anywhere with any staff. If he could he would be hired by a P5 program. He couldn’t even win here with the staff of his choosing. You are materially overestimating his competence.

Knowing Kill was a loser doesn’t make one a Fleck advocate. A change had to happen - Kill was a drag on an already abysmal program.

It is cringey how many Kill posts are being put up. It’s weird and off-putting this hyper-fetish for a guy that already had his shot and failed.
You seem to forget why Kill left Minnesota.

This makes me laugh. PJ?

This is 100% spot on.

Didn’t like Jerry Kill when he was the head coach here and still don’t like Jerry Kill 8 years later.

The posters going back to this old tired story of Jerry Kill need to get on with their lives.

He ain’t coming back nor should he be allowed back.

Complete nonsense. Kill was gone for 1.5 years before Fleck took over and Claeys left virtually nothing on offense. More than 80% of the 2019 roster was Flecks recruits. Fleck has also played for the division title on the last weekend of the season.

You want to talk about revisionist history? Longing for the days of this:

View attachment 28393

Instead of this:

View attachment 28394

Coming into yesterday, PJ's B1G record was the same as Ol Jer's overall record here.
You start a post claiming what someone posted was “nonsense” and finish the same post essentially claiming Fleck’s players were the core of the 2019 team’s success. This place makes me laugh.

Let’s call out the elephant in the room. Jerry Kill said bad things about PJ Fleck and Minnesota. These are 2 things that “real” Gopher fans will simply not tolerate.

You start a post claiming what someone posted was “nonsense” and finish the same post essentially claiming Fleck’s players were the core of the 2019 team’s success. This place makes me laugh.

They were. For some reason you like to laugh about things that are true?

Let’s call out the elephant in the room. Jerry Kill said bad things about PJ Fleck and Minnesota. These are 2 things that “real” Gopher fans will simply not tolerate.
No I wouldn’t tolerate boring and bad football for years on end without question even if it’s delivered with a gee golly, propeller beanie, bashful dwarf, good ol’ boy schtick.

No I wouldn’t tolerate boring and bad football for years on end without question even if it’s delivered with a gee golly, propeller beanie, bashful dwarf, good ol’ boy schtick.
How about boring and bad football delivered with a hokey slogan, look at me, and utter nonsense schtick?

Have a good one.
Good lord man. Winning 9 games one year doesn’t guarantee anything for the following year. Hell we are living through it right now and there wasn’t even a coaching change.

yes, the 2016 team won 9 games, so Fleck took over a team that won 9 games the year before he arrived. But only a fool would have predicted 9 wins for that 2017 team regardless of who the head coach was.

Most of the key holdovers in 2019 were from the 2016 class. Not sure why Kill should get any credit for the success of guys who committed to play for someone else since he wasn’t the head coach at the time.

Kill is villainized for what he did/said after he quit. He has no one to blame but himself for that.

I’m convinced the popularity of Fleck over Kill has more to do with Fleck being young, hip, fashionable, and silver-tongued while the Kill regime was viewed as a bunch of blue jeans and sweatshirts farmer dads stuck in the ‘80s. Maybe a bit of regional insecurity plays a part.. Trophy wife syndrome.

I don’t care that much about “image” although I can appreciate his gift of gab and wit. Results matter in sports. If Fleck is winning all is well. If he isn’t his act is going to get stale real fast for many (already is). Fleck has proven he can win at a decent clip but he hasn’t scaled the mountain - yet. I think he can recruit players but he repeatedly shoots himself in the foot with the uber risk-averse philosophy, incompetent special teams coaches and players resulting in horrific losses. That’s not going to ignite NIL.

Top Bottom