Former Gopher coach Jerry Kill becomes first NMSU coach to defeat a SEC opponent.

No pot sitirring here, but we demolished Kill’s team last year when they looked like a D2 team. To see what they’ve accomplished from that point is amazing.
Having witnessed that game in person roughly 15 months ago, amazing is an understatement. I don't think the Aggies ran an offensive play in Gopher territory.

Really? Good grief. Way better things to moderate than this.
Multiple things can be true, yes there may be "better things to moderate than this".

Also having the Jerry Kill items in 1 place would also be appreciated (ie All Things Jerry Kill) and much cleaner.

It should be noted that the Kill recruits that Fleck used, mainly Winfield Jr, Fleck had to recruit. I distinctly remember Winfield Sr saying his son will never play for the U again prior to Fleck's arrival. Winfield Jr. may have been one of Fleck's biggest recruits to date.

If you recall, Winfield Jr. was suspended due to the sexual assault... even though he wasn't in the same building as the assault.
Yes. And Morgan & Bateman were Fleck recruits...from out-state that Kill couldn't have gotten. Fleck would have gotten in-state Tyler Johnson.

Kill left Saginaw Valley State (38-14 in five seasons)
to go to Emporia State (11-11 in two seasons) which he left to go to
Southern Illinois (55-32 in seven seasons) which he left to go to
Northern Illinois (23-16 in three seasons), which he left to go to
Minnesota, which he left due to a medical situation after 4.5 seasons.

In which of those situations did Kill impermissibly jump ship to avoid getting fired, and in which ones did he get a promotion due to exceptional performance?

Last edited:

Too bad Jerry decided to leave us. He does a lot of things well and really took our program out of the muck. I really liked him, even though he let his ego get in the way and made an enormous QB blunder spanning several years. Seeing that he's apparently turned his health around, I bet the U would have even welcomed him back some day had he not burned bridges when we chose not to make Claeys our permanent coach. Good luck to him and NMSU.

Kill left Saginaw Valley State (38-14 in five seasons)
to go to Emporia State (11-11 in two seasons) which he left to go to
Southern Illinois (55-32 in seven seasons) which he left to go to
Northern Illinois (23-16 in three seasons), which he left to go to
Minnesota, which he left due to a medical situation after 4.5 seasons.

In which of those situations did Kill impermissibly jump ship to avoid getting fired, and in which ones did he get a promotion due to exceptional performance?
Not seeing a lot of exceptional performance there outside of maybe Saginaw Valley State. Assume you were replying to somebody else claiming he was on verge of getting fired or something which is foolish since he clearly wasn't about to lose any of those jobs (including MN before he "retired").

But your doing some serious revisionist history if you think Kill was high on the list here after Brewster was fired. Kill was hired after a lot of other people said no and wasn't even on the radar when the spot came open.

It worked out to be a good hire for the University but Kill was not a highly sought after candidate at the time when he was hired away from Northern Illinois.

Too bad Jerry decided to leave us. He does a lot of things well and really took our program out of the muck. I really liked him, even though he let his ego get in the way and made an enormous QB blunder spanning several years. Seeing that he's apparently turned his health around, I bet the U would have even welcomed him back some day had he not burned bridges when we chose not to make Claeys our permanent coach. Good luck to him and NMSU.
5 BIg Ten wins is Kill's absolute high watermark. And you can expect many 2-3 win seasons along with it. His recruiting is never ranked above mid-50's nationally. His recruiting coordinator admitted they don't even try for recruits that have interest in other P5 teams.

5 BIg Ten wins is Kill's absolute high watermark. And you can expect many 2-3 win seasons along with it. His recruiting is never ranked above mid-50's nationally. His recruiting coordinator admitted they don't even try for recruits that have interest in other P5 teams.
The years Kill was here they only played an 8 game schedule, as opposed to the 9 gamer under Fleck.

Also first 3 years for Kill were under the Legends-Leaders format, so had to deal with Mich-Mich St instead of Illinois (Wisc was still a crossover).

Just pointing it out for context.

Top Bottom