Former Gopher coach Jerry Kill becomes first NMSU coach to defeat a SEC opponent.

Some of the Flecksters have so villainized a former coach it is sad, a coach who set up Fleck for success here. Kill did really good things and had us playing to win the Big Ten West at Madison. Way to go Jerry!

Rewrite history. He’s a former coach who had success here, playing for the Big Ten Wesr championship on the final week of the season. If that’s a failure then Fleck has failed as he hasn’t achieved more than that, and his best season is largely a result of the players Kill recruited and left him. You are so blinded by your love for Fleck that you can’t see the good Kill did and how that set up Fleck early, and how he has pissed away the West when it has never been as weak as it has been since he’s been here.
If it was such a good set up with Kill players then why did Fleck win less games when he had more Kill players his first two years here.

Most of the key holdovers in 2019 were from the 2016 class. Not sure why Kill should get any credit for the success of guys who committed to play for someone else since he wasn’t the head coach at the time.
I’ve been told clearly that Claeys wasn’t responsible for these guys. It has to be either him or Kill, no?
Kill is villainized for what he did/said after he quit. He has no one to blame but himself for that.
This.

How about boring and bad football delivered with a hokey slogan, look at me, and utter nonsense schtick?
Not advocating that either. Again Fleck isn’t relevant in acknowledging Kill’s incompetence.

I’ve been told clearly that Claeys wasn’t responsible for these guys. It has to be either him or Kill, no?

This.
Who has said Claeys wasn’t responsible for the 2016 class?

He benefitted from an abnormally strong in state class of players but he absolutely gets credit for that class from a recruiting standpoint. Those players developed under Fleck but he didn’t recruit them.

I know Kill/Claeys tend to get linked for obvious reasons but credit for that particular class should go to Claeys not Kill.

Kill's best possible seasons here are about like this season. With 1 or 2-win conference seasons mixed in.

So your memory must be very bad or delusional. You must be thinking of the 4 cupcake games we'd always play in the non-conference.
You know you can look up Kill's conference record each year if you want to, rather than just making up nonsense about kill only winning 1-2 conference games per season.

By the way, it's year seven for Fleck. How many conference wins do you think he'll have?

How many years did Kill miss a bowl game?

Fleck and Kill both beat Auburn with Kill's recruits

Who has said Claeys wasn’t responsible for the 2016 class?
GWG
He benefitted from an abnormally strong in state class of players but he absolutely gets credit for that class from a recruiting standpoint. Those players developed under Fleck but he didn’t recruit them.
Agreed
I know Kill/Claeys tend to get linked for obvious reasons but credit for that particular class should go to Claeys not Kill.
Agreed

The jist I get from all of this is Fleck is failing at recruiting.

If Fleck loses to bucky next and has another year like this next year, its back to the mac for him at best.

He can’t win anywhere with any staff. If he could he would be hired by a P5 program. He couldn’t even win here with the staff of his choosing. You are materially overestimating his competence.
You are downplaying his health issue a few years ago.

If it was such a good set up with Kill players then why did Fleck win less games when he had more Kill players his first two years here.
That’s the issue. People want to give Kill the credit for the two years of developing his players.

Had Jerry opted for Streveler he likely would be coaching in the SEC right now. Nope. He let his ego get in the way and stuck with the TEQB. Aww shucks.

Streveler was a better athlete, better runner than Mitch. Passing… dunno. Maybe. Probably would have been good enough. Look what we have right now. Coin flip if it will be in the strike zone.

One of life’s mysteries. Wonder if Ol Jer has ever been asked about it.

If Fleck loses to bucky next and has another year like this next year, its back to the mac for him at best.
I read somewhere that a TON of P5 teams would FIGHT over PJ.

Some Fleckster moderator deleted my original post. The old ball coach took some chances on 4th down which included a successful fake punt and a TD on 4th goal.

NMSU 31
Auburnt 10
No pot sitirring here, but we demolished Kill’s team last year when they looked like a D2 team. To see what they’ve accomplished from that point is amazing.

How many total attempts has there been (to defeat a SEC opponent) by NMSU since, say the 2003 season? 1983 season?

Regardless, still an incredible story.

Idaho and NMSU were the lone teams left out in the cold after the WAC demise, not picked up by the Mountain West.

Idaho hired a coward who cut the legs off and sent them packing down to the FCS Big Sky.

NMSU trudged on bleakly as an FBS independent.

And here they are today!

No pot sitirring here, but we demolished Kill’s team last year when they looked like a D2 team. To see what they’ve accomplished from that point is amazing.
It’s an amazing concept that coaching can dramatically improve a team’s performance year over year and throughout the course of the season. What would be the outcome if the Gophers played NMSU this week? If the Gophers played at Auburn this week?

It’s an amazing concept that coaching can dramatically improve a team’s performance year over year and throughout the course of the season. What would be the outcome if the Gophers played NMSU this week? If the Gophers played at Auburn this week?
I don’t think many people on this thread would want to know the answer to that

Jerry does watch game tape and can coach for a single game. See niu vs the gops. These games get jobs/raises/girlfriends.

Fleck and Kill both beat Auburn with Kill's recruits
It should be noted that the Kill recruits that Fleck used, mainly Winfield Jr, Fleck had to recruit. I distinctly remember Winfield Sr saying his son will never play for the U again prior to Fleck's arrival. Winfield Jr. may have been one of Fleck's biggest recruits to date.

If you recall, Winfield Jr. was suspended due to the sexual assault... even though he wasn't in the same building as the assault.

Top Bottom