Former Gopher A.J. Barker arrested UPDATED 5/9: Sid says AJ wants back on team

I'm still curious as to whether Barker will be playing anywhere in 2013. If Houston doesn't pan out, my money will be on SCSU.

Sf24, I read your posts with interest. I appears to me that you are now using a question such as this as a way of continuing to escalate some sort of argument, and most of us will not bite for such bull$hit. Thank you for your comments and words of thought, but this one turned me off.

Huh? You lost me. I didn't ask a question, I made a comment.

Escalate? I'm like everyone else, I have an opinion and I'm entitled to express it and respond to topics that interest me. I think my comment was more than fair. The writer inferred that AJ was a liar because of something his brother said and I don't think that was a sound conclusion. Sorry it made you angry.

Escalate? I'm like everyone else, I have an opinion and I'm entitled to express it and respond to topics that interest me. I think my comment was more than fair. The writer inferred that AJ was a liar because of something his brother said and I don't think that was a sound conclusion. Sorry it made you angry.

How do you suppose AJ's brother got the idea that he was going to play at Houston ?

I never said for sure that A.J. was a liar, but when his brother says something like that, you would think there's at least a good chance it came from A.J. originally. If his brother made it up, you would think A.J. would have seen that and said, "what are you doing brother? That's just going to make me look worse when it's found out I don't have a scholarship to Houston."

Again, I never said that A.J. was a liar for sure but that sure does make him look like he is.

How do you suppose AJ's brother got the idea that he was going to play at Houston ?

A reasonable assumption would be AJ told him (which he was), what AJ actually told him is another question.

Here's the deal; 5 years ago everyone thought a certain player was transferring from Wisconsin because of starting status. Why? Because the players dad said so. Were did he get that information from? The answer is; from the coach. The player said he wanted to be a gopher.....naturally nobody believed that...it had to be something else (lol).

I never said for sure that A.J. was a liar, but when his brother says something like that, you would think there's at least a good chance it came from A.J. originally. If his brother made it up, you would think A.J. would have seen that and said, "what are you doing brother? That's just going to make me look worse when it's found out I don't have a scholarship to Houston."

Again, I never said that A.J. was a liar for sure but that sure does make him look like he is.

Point understood. By the way, AJ had a scholarship waiting for him (so he didn't lie). Unfortunately for him Mary Jane came by his apartment.

Point understood. By the way, AJ had a scholarship waiting for him (so he didn't lie). Unfortunately for him Mary Jane came by his apartment.

So...that's two possible scholarships he wrote/smoked away (possible - since no one person knows for sure). Sounds like a smart fellow.

So...that's two possible scholarships he wrote/smoked away (possible - since no one person knows for sure). Sounds like a smart fellow.

He cut off his nose to spite his face. He's just too arrogant. He lied about having a scholarship offer from Houston so he probably lied about everything else too or at least exaggerated things. No doubt Kill yelled at him, but everything else is open to interpretation. There's nothing wrong with yelling at people when they're out of line. It happens every day in the real world. Barker is a dim future in front of him if he can't handle being criticized.

A reasonable assumption would be AJ told him (which he was), what AJ actually told him is another question.

Here's the deal; 5 years ago everyone thought a certain player was transferring from Wisconsin because of starting status. Why? Because the players dad said so. Were did he get that information from? The answer is; from the coach. The player said he wanted to be a gopher.....naturally nobody believed that...it had to be something else (lol).

I also enjoy reading your comments, but it seems to me you're defending AJ more because of your dislike of Kill rather than really believing in AJ's finer qualities. Don't know exactly what all of your innuendo about Kill means, but I'm guessing it has to do with the way he treated your son. Reacting to the injury?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the sense is you think the image he portrays to the public is phony and there's a dishonesty to him. I see him as pretty much a typical old-fashioned football coach. If you watch him on the sidelines, there's little doubt he could tear a player a new one. Would he regret it later? Maybe. No doubt in my mind AJ deserved it. If you look at the way Kill left Northern Illinois, there's a dishonesty there. Not exactly earth shattering to hear that a coach might have been less than forthright in leaving his team for a better job. Is than manipulative also. Yep. That's how big time football is. Point is that's what a player signs up for. I realize there is a problem when the player isn't recruited by that coach, but if it's a big enough problem you move on. You don't go off on an immature rant quitting on your teammates just because, gasp, your football coach acted like a football coach.

Maybe I misunderstood the situation then. I thought it was determined he never had a scholarship and was never actually a member of the team.

I get what SF24 is saying. UH backs off any commitment due to the ahem circumstances. as far as anyone will know no offer. never on team. over.

I also enjoy reading your comments, but it seems to me you're defending AJ more because of your dislike of Kill rather than really believing in AJ's finer qualities. Don't know exactly what all of your innuendo about Kill means, but I'm guessing it has to do with the way he treated your son. Reacting to the injury?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the sense is you think the image he portrays to the public is phony and there's a dishonesty to him. I see him as pretty much a typical old-fashioned football coach. If you watch him on the sidelines, there's little doubt he could tear a player a new one. Would he regret it later? Maybe. No doubt in my mind AJ deserved it. If you look at the way Kill left Northern Illinois, there's a dishonesty there. Not exactly earth shattering to hear that a coach might have been less than forthright in leaving his team for a better job. Is than manipulative also. Yep. That's how big time football is. Point is that's what a player signs up for. I realize there is a problem when the player isn't recruited by that coach, but
if it's a big enough problem you move on. You don't go off on an immature rant quitting on your teammates just because, gasp, your football coach acted like a football coach.

My opinion of the Jer? Let me just say he is anything but typical. I have been around all types of coaches my entire life; from pop warner to the NFL. Jer is most certainly not typical. What is he? Y'all will figure it out soon enough. Go gophers.

AJ? The U's medical staff is scary bad, I can understand why he didn't trust them. My defense of AJ is simple; he did something incredible stupid when decided to smoke weed prior to enrolling at his new school. Even if he wouldn't have been caught by the police, he would have failed a UA and that wouldn't have impressed the staff. However; that doesn't negate what he claimed happened. He has been guilty of bad decisions (4000 word manifesto and the weed), he hasn't been proven to be a liar.

My opinion of the Jer? Let me just say he is anything but typical. I have been around all types of coaches my entire life; from pop warner to the NFL. Jer is most certainly not typical. What is he? Y'all will figure it out soon enough. Go gophers.

AJ? The U's medical staff is scary bad, I can understand why he didn't trust them. My defense of AJ is simple; he did something incredible stupid when decided to smoke weed prior to enrolling at his new school. Even if he wouldn't have been caught by the police, he would have failed a UA and that wouldn't have impressed the staff. However; that doesn't negate what he claimed happened. He has been guilty of bad decisions (4000 word manifesto and the weed), he hasn't been proven to be a liar.

I know. They wanted him to ice his ankle. How stupid is that? :p

Sportsfan, it would be nice if you stated your true gripe with Kill instead of posting cryptic statements inferring that some sort of Coach Kill vs. Gopher Fan armageddon is coming.

SF24,

I don't see how we'll "figure it out soon enough" when we've had SIU and NIU fans come on this site, and I haven't heard anything from them regarding a JK hidden personality flaw. What makes u think we'll see it when no one else has? If it was that flagrant/horrible wouldn't u think it would have gotten out by now?

Sportsfan, it would be nice if you stated your true gripe with Kill instead of posting cryptic statements inferring that some sort of Coach Kill vs. Gopher Fan armageddon is coming.

My thoughts exactly! Instead of just saying random things like, 'You'll find out' or 'You'll see soon enough for yourselves', just lay out your beef with him. Unless, their just waiting for him to leave/get fired/etc. than say, "Oh, look what happened. I told you so". If you aren't going to give your full opinion, than why make comments of the sort? Just my opinion.

My thoughts exactly! Instead of just saying random things like, 'You'll find out' or 'You'll see soon enough for yourselves', just lay out your beef with him. Unless, their just waiting for him to leave/get fired/etc. than say, "Oh, look what happened. I told you so". If you aren't going to give your full opinion, than why make comments of the sort? Just my opinion.

Completely agree.

I'm guessing A.J. Barker and his family reported it originally, which makes this whole situation even more bizarre. Maybe A.J. thought he could just show up and get a scholarship like when George Costanza did that at an office when he didn't even know if he had the job or not.

I'm stopping here at this thread...favorite post of the year so far. AJ, here's the Pensky file.

Fair point.

Unfortunately for you guys....I'm not AJ; so going forward let it be known I love Jer!

Incredible stupid when you consider it was more severe than an ankle sprain....they misdiagnosed his injury.

So....he had a mysterious injury, where icing it would cause more problems, and AJ knew this how?

Do you know if he tried wrapping a bag of Acapulco Gold around the injury?

Incredible stupid when you consider it was more severe than an ankle sprain....they misdiagnosed his injury.

Did they "misdiagnose" or did barker refuse medical treatment? Pretty bold and arrogant statement you have made, as if you know it as fact when in reality you have no idea because you weren't there. I really enjoy your takes from time to time But you weren't in the room with barker and the medical staff so IMO you have a biased opinion and decided to make it factual without evidence. Nice try

Sometimes people who are closest to a situation (like the gopher program), or think they are, they are the ones that are the most irrational and least trustworthy in their assessments. In your case sportsfan24, you fit the bill perfectly. Yes your son was on the team, great, and yes you do know some things we don't, but at the same time you hold clear grudges against Kill that seem based on a your own subjective opinions, and not objective rational takes. You backing everything that A.J. claims (im sure he didn't fabricate everything, but he sure did alot) is quite hilarious to watch. Its like when everyone was saying" oh no, our President would never get a BJ in the white house, that could never happen". Lol My man you are a riot. Keep it up:cool:

Even if that was the case, going to see an acupuncturist rather than icing your ankle is severely dumb.

Liar - - that's word with a lot of different meanings. Stretching the truth to make yourself look better, is deceitful. Whether you want to get into the technicality of whether it was a lie or not, doesn't really matter.

The truth is that Barker cried and left the U, largely because he didn't get a scholarship. He moved onto Houston (who could have simply offered him a scholarship) under the alleged promise that a scholarship would be waiting for him. Now, isn't that pretty much the exact same situation? Kill could have just made him a scholarship player and not made him wait until next year. Just like Levine, he could have simply offered AJ a scholarship. But neither of them did, they both made it clear that one would be waiting for him NEXT year.

The irony of him leaving MN to chase the exact situation in HO is part of the reason for his deception. Heck, if it wasn't for his blibbering nonsensical manifesto, he probably would have been on scholarship at another school.

Top Bottom