Fleck and Fickell go back on forth about Martin Owusu negative recruitment

That's the most milquetoast half denial he could make. Just own it at that point man.

Story says Owusu showed Fleck the negative material so either Fleck is lying or Fickell is lying.
Maybe. Or perhaps Fickell didn't know what was communicated by somebody on his staff. Or maybe Fleck and Fickell differ on what constitutes "negative recruiting." Not a big deal to me, but I am not sure what benefit there is to airing the complaints in a press conference. Fleck knows that the wisconsin press corps hates him and is going to take his remarks back to Fickell. I'd just make a note of what was done and by whom and be aware of how they do their business going forward.

What negative material would wisconsin even use?

• The Gophers have the Axe back-to-back and the better record.
  • The Gophers have more program stability and consistency.
  • The head coach has a long contract, stayed after a big year, and is going into year 7.
  • The coordinators have been with the program since the beginning.
  • By modern standards, the Gophers have above-average roster stability and retention.
  • Top 5 defense
  • It's closer to home for Martin.
  • Same weather.

All that's left is "they've got a good roster and you might not play much?"

What negative material would wisconsin even use?

• The Gophers have the Axe back-to-back and the better record.
  • The Gophers have more program stability and consistency.
  • The head coach has a long contract, stayed after a big year, and is going into year 7.
  • The coordinators have been with the program since the beginning.
  • By modern standards, the Gophers have above-average roster stability and retention.
  • It's closer to home for Martin.
  • Same weather.

All that's left is "they've got a good roster and you might not play much?"

Good Lord, these programs aren't even comparable last 25-30 years

1671657273917.png
1671657400726.png

Good Lord, these programs aren't even comparable last 25-30 years

View attachment 22622
View attachment 22623
Almost none of the players and none of the coaches from all of those red rectangles are still there.

The situation is different at wisconsin now, and comes with a lot of risk. Major coaching, AD, and offensive identity changes are risky. They have tampered with the formula that turned a lot of 25-45 ranked recruiting classes into much higher ranked teams.

Now Minnesota increasingly looks like wisconsin used to, and is following a similar formula. Times are changing.

Maybe. Or perhaps Fickell didn't know what was communicated by somebody on his staff. Or maybe Fleck and Fickell differ on what constitutes "negative recruiting." Not a big deal to me, but I am not sure what benefit there is to airing the complaints in a press conference. Fleck knows that the wisconsin press corps hates him and is going to take his remarks back to Fickell. I'd just make a note of what was done and by whom and be aware of how they do their business going forward.
To me, it's like the end of game trolling we did to Wisky in '21. I'm all for attacking rivals, stopping the MN nice when it comes to sports, throwing the crap back at them since most of us have been on the receiving end of it for too long.

Top Bottom