Fire Tubby

For all intents and purposes, extension was done shortly after the last NCAA appearance in 2010. That Maturi dithered and left it 'with lawyers' for 2 years doesn't change that.

BS. Until it is signed, you can bail. Then Tubby floats the LSU bullsht. Maturi shouldn't be allowed to extend anyone.

I now think that Tubby is seriously in trouble. If they don't make the NCAA tourney, even if they were to win the NIT, I think he is let go at the end of the season. If they make the NCAAs and don't make the sweet sixteen, I think he may also be let go. IMHO, I think he needs to do well in the Big10 tourney and then do well in the NCAAs to be back. Teague said that he would take a look at the body of work after the season. With the talent he has on this team this season they better have a strong finish to end the year and not in the NIT.

I think we beat Iowa.

Tubby in his first 5 solid years averaged three wins the second half of the Big Ten season and six losses. So far 0-2 this year. Anybody see him doing better then 3-6 this second half? I see maybe 2-7.

UofMdad

If this run of losses doesn't convince Schilling to come to Minnesota nothing will. He's saying to himself right now, "Chit, I gotta get to Minn. with Ellis and Foster and show those guys how to play and win." Now, if we fire Tubby, just who the heck is going to come in and be the coach? Also, how will that affect Ellis and Foster and the big 3 for 2014 and Henry for 2015?

BS. Until it is signed, you can bail. Then Tubby floats the LSU bullsht. Maturi shouldn't be allowed to extend anyone.

Not really. There would have been increased cost to fire him if the deal was agreed to in principle. This is Maturi we're talking about. Either way, if Tubby needs to be gone after the year, he'll be gone. I think we're past the point of letting $500K or $1 million. At least we better be after the UNC debacle.

Not really. There would have been increased cost to fire him if the deal was agreed to in principle. This is Maturi we're talking about. Either way, if Tubby needs to be gone after the year, he'll be gone. I think we're past the point of letting $500K or $1 million. At least we better be after the UNC debacle.

Teague owns the extension. Didn't have to happen and didn't need to be nearly as sweet as it was made to be.

Why do people who never post only post after losses? Pretty sure Tubby has more power than Teague when it comes to the basketball program.

Anybody see him doing better then 3-6 this second half? I see maybe 2-7.

They will beat Penn State at home and Nebraska on the road. Two toss up games (At Iowa, at PU) and 3 Ls (Indiana, Wiscky, OSU). The toss up games will determine if they squeak into the dance or not.

Why do people who never post only post after losses? Pretty sure Tubby has more power than Teague when it comes to the basketball program.

What?! Why do the people that live on GopherHole post the most insane stuff?

"People who never post only post after losses." That statement makes a whole lot of sense.

He said they have top 4 talent in the Big Ten.

Our PG is arguably #2 in the Big Ten, Austin Hollins is one of the most consistent players in the Big Ten, and Trevor Mbakwe is one of the best big men. If we had a good year with a top 3 finish, we probably have 3 guys on the All Big 1st or 2nd team.

If they make the NCCA he stays regardless. If the Gophers don't, I believe he is gone.

If this run of losses doesn't convince Schilling to come to Minnesota nothing will. He's saying to himself right now, "Chit, I gotta get to Minn. with Ellis and Foster and show those guys how to play and win." Now, if we fire Tubby, just who the heck is going to come in and be the coach? Also, how will that affect Ellis and Foster and the big 3 for 2014 and Henry for 2015?

Whaaaaa?????

Our PG is arguably #2 in the Big Ten, Austin Hollins is one of the most consistent players in the Big Ten, and Trevor Mbakwe is one of the best big men. If we had a good year with a top 3 finish, we probably have 3 guys on the All Big 1st or 2nd team.
Our point guard is an off guard. There are ten better guards in the Big Ten. And if he was a point guard are you telling me he is better than Burke or Craft?

Because they get ripped by homers if they say anything negative. That's why.

At least someone took their maroon and gold tinted glasses off. To answer Becky Vadger,The Tubby apologists on here are why we fail. Expect nothing, get nothing.

After tonight's loss, I am sure I am as pissed at Tubby as anyone on this board. But to say that we are losing because we have some posters on a message board who choose to stay positive whatever happens is ridiculous.

Highly unlikely Tubby is fired. The only way I see that happening is if Teague can bring in a big splash hire like Tubby was at the time he was hired. The current situation with the practice facility does not make the Minnesota job that attractive to a hire that would energize the fan base and the type of hire they could make probably wouldn't have any type of meaningful relationship with the Big 3 in-state recruits for 2014.

Highly unlikely Tubby is fired. The only way I see that happening is if Teague can bring in a big splash hire like Tubby was at the time he was hired. The current situation with the practice facility does not make the Minnesota job that attractive to a hire that would energize the fan base and the type of hire they could make probably wouldn't have any type of meaningful relationship with the Big 3 in-state recruits for 2014.

Flip? Flip could have a good chance at getting the big 3.

I will continue to say the same thing every time someone starts another one of these threads...the MN job, with our second rate facilities, is not a top 50 job. Who worth while would come here until we at least have a plan and have started building the practice facility?

It isn't like we are going to pay a BB coach $3 mil plus to coach here...and this job isn't a stepping stone to a better position...never has and never will be. IF you come to MN, it is to win...and you just can't with our current situation. Just my opinion. We are on the outside with our noses pressed against the glass of big time college basketball.

Before, I wasn't in favor of it. But this well thought-out thread convinced me.
Hahahaha
At the game, having fun, you phucking idiot.
+1 Sports are supposed to be fun, if you hate being a Gopher fan so much, go be a Duke fan.
He has been out-coached in every B1G game this year. Gophers are top 4 in the B1G talent wise
Yup, Tom Izzo out-coached Tubby in that win at the Barn, our roster is just head and shoulders above Michigan State's talent-wise. And congratulations to Tim Miles out-coaching Tubby en route to a 19 point defeat. At the very least, Michigan, Michigan State, and Indiana are more talented than we are, possibly Ohio State as well.
At least someone took their maroon and gold tinted glasses off. To answer Becky Vadger,The Tubby apologists on here are why we fail. Expect nothing, get nothing.
Teague was actually going to fire Tubby and hire Bill Self in the off-season, but I called and told him that I'm totally okay with winning about 8 Big Ten games every year and making the tourney once or twice a decade, and he changed his mind. Maybe if I start more "Fire Tubby" threads we'll win more games.
I really don't think anyone thinks about that before starting threads like these, except for the contingent of Gopher fans who are convinced there's a 95% chance that Shaka Smart will be our next coach. I feel like firing Tubby now is basically saying "to hell with the 2014 recruiting class." I think firing Tubby after this season will set the program back further than keeping him for the time being.
The coach recruits and sets the roster. Are you a troll?

We should be outrecruiting Michigan State and Ohio State for players? They both have players on their current rosters who have played in a Final Four, Indiana is Indiana, as for Michigan, I honestly can't explain how they're recruiting as well as they are.

I will continue to say the same thing every time someone starts another one of these threads...the MN job, with our second rate facilities, is not a top 50 job. Who worth while would come here until we at least have a plan and have started building the practice facility?

It isn't like we are going to pay a BB coach $3 mil plus to coach here...and this job isn't a stepping stone to a better position...never has and never will be. IF you come to MN, it is to win...and you just can't with our current situation. Just my opinion. We are on the outside with our noses pressed against the glass of big time college basketball.

Disagree with incrementally better coaching from Tubby Smith we'd be singing a whole new tune. This guy is atrocious for what we thought we are getting, an excuse maker from day one. He's spun his message so well that he has so many drinking the facilities kool-aide.

I use to think that Minnesotans were smarter than the average American. I am starting to seriously doubt that.

Is it the cold weather outside that seems to make you people think with your hearts and not your heads?!

What was people's opinion of the Illini a week ago????

Now all of a sudden they're giant killers, will probably be ranked Top 25 next week, and talk of them not making the tournament will have completely evaporated.

The Gophers are FAR from not making the NCAA tourney.

There is SO MUCH parity out there. Kansas with a 3 game skid, including a loss to winless TCU.

Louisville with a 3 game skid.

Cincy has lost 4 of their last 6 home games.

VCU lost 2 in a row, and against much lesser competition.

Indiana, the #1 team in the nation, lost AT HOME to Wisconsin, and then lost to, at the time, a HORRIBLE Illinois team.

But now all of a sudden, people are going to be praising Illinois.

I remember the season the Illini went like 4-14 in conf play, beat us in the 1st round of the BTT, and went all the way to the Championship game and made a game of it. The next year they kicked ass the whole year.

VCU almost did not make the NCAA tournament the year they made their FF run, but got in, and won 5 games in a row. Now Shaka Smart is considered the 2nd coming. It's ridiculous.

Connecticut a few years back struggled throughout the season. I remember because a certain Cincinnati fan I know was giving a certain UConn fan I know a hard time the entire season, talking about how much UConn sucked. But guess what?! Yeah, that UConn fan has been laughing about it every since.

I could go on for HOURS typing up the hundreds of examples and stats and stories, etc., all pointing to how IT'S NEVER OVER, until its over.

Missouri flew into the tourney last year, ranked 5th in the country, and lost in the 1st round to a 15 seed.

A certain Missouri fan I know claims this seasons Missouri team is more talented than last years, yet they are struggling, lost to Texas A&M on the road this week. But honestly, they'll probably do better in March than last years team. Sometimes suffering and overcoming obstacles makes a person, or a team, stronger.

I'm done for now, for I'm probably just wasting my time on idiots who don't actually turn on their brains before they think, they let their PASSIONS, their feelings, their emotions do their thinking for them. They want a call to arms to get Tubby Fired, mid season. It's RIDICULOUS.

Whether or not he's a good coach or a bad coach, is NOT the only factor that has to be considered.

And everyone's blasting Maturi, but NO ONE at the time considered the Tubby hire a bad one. The extension? Well, there is a lot of bs that goes on nowadays, and coaches have universities right where they want them. They get to demand long term contracts, but somehow don't have to honor them, and can leave whenever they want, but if they get fired, they get paid for years after?! I'm not an expert, and I may be wrong in my impressions, but I just get the idea that the system is designed and favors the coaches, and screws over the universities. I totally disagree with the concept, but bb and fb especially are deemed SO important nowadays, and there is so much money involved, that coaches can get away with making unreasonable demands.

But, we BEAT the Illini in Illinois by letting them heave away from 3 point land, and miss most of them. And no one criticized Tubby for that coaching decision. But they got hot this game, made 11 of them, and we lost. One of our normal starters didn't play the entire game, and the Illini had the confidence after just taking down the #1 ranked team.

I'm not saying I accept mediocrity and anyone who makes that claim is a LIAR.

ALL Tubby apologists want what they think is the best for the University and its long term bb health and prosperity.

NO ONE accepts and wants mediocrity. We just all seem to differ on how to go about bringing about positive change.

Disagree with incrementally better coaching from Tubby Smith we'd be singing a whole new tune. This guy is atrocious for what we thought we are getting, an excuse maker from day one. He's spun his message so well that he has so many drinking the facilities kool-aide.

Nah, I was drinking that kool aid before Tubby got here.

I think Andre Hollins is probably a top 3 PG in the conference, and Mbakwe is one of the best bigs. Austin Hollins is probably in the top half of shooting guards as well. Players 4-12 are in the bottom half, and maybe the bottom third, IMO. I do think Andre would be a better off guard, too bad there is not another option at the point.

Top Bottom