Fire Tubby

It depends what he does with the remainder of this season and also the NCAA tournament. He is an NBA player and if averages 15ppg and 5 apg for the remainder of the b10 and NCAA's, who knows? He may have a shot at leaving this year in the first round. If he stays for next year, I think he is a lock 1st round player.

It's all about scouting lol you have no idea what you're talking about. Get off the computer and go upstairs, the sandwich your mom made is ready for you

Hey *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# I'm probably older than you and played higher than your beer softball league. If you ain't watching film you ain't prepared.

It depends what he does with the remainder of this season and also the NCAA tournament. He is an NBA player and if averages 15ppg and 5 apg for the remainder of the b10 and NCAA's, who knows? He may have a shot at leaving this year in the first round. If he stays for next year, I think he is a lock 1st round player.

I think he s a good college player, but at his height he will have to play PG in the NBA, he just does not seem able to beat enough people off the dribble to play point in the NBA, or is a good enough floor general, ala Nash or even Ty Lawson...I HOPE he plays that well the rest of the year and would be very happy for him if he were to go that high, but it really seems (at least to me) that he is not looking like a high NBA pick now.

lol at these my dick is bigger than your's posts. Who cares that once upon a time you could throw a football a quarter mile Uncle Rico

Let's say we don't make the NCAA Tournament...

you are telling me Tubby won't be fired because of the $2.5 million
buyout? It's the same buyout going forward. It's effectively one years salary for Tubby.

If you don't fire him you are guaranteeing him he's here for the length of his contract or you are a clueless administrative leader.
Lots of reasons why. It is not going to improve under Tubby. He has established his history, his trend, his pattern at Minnesota. The assistant A.D. knows basketball. It is clear to him what is happening this season from a coaching performance viewpoint.
Comparing how things are done by Tubby versus Smart is probably quite alarming.

Are the present players having any fun playing? If Tubby stays there is a greater chance they transfer than if he is fired.

Seems pretty obvious to me the present available above average Minnesota high school talent is unlikely to play for Tubby given their other choices.

Seems to be a good time for a first post.

Personally at this point I would love to fire Tubby after the season if he can't turn it around. But firing him immediately would be a huge mistake. Lets just wait and see how he finishes the season then make a decision at that point. If he continues on this track, it may be time for a change. But if he can right the ship and make some noise in the NCAA tournament give him some more time.

I think that this team is much more talented than what some people believe and I personally hope we show that the next month or so.

Personally at this point I would love to fire Tubby after the season if he can't turn it around. But firing him immediately would be a huge mistake. Lets just wait and see how he finishes the season then make a decision at that point. If he continues on this track, it may be time for a change. But if he can right the ship and make some noise in the NCAA tournament give him some more time.

I think that this team is much more talented than what some people believe and I personally hope we show that the next month or so.
Agreed, you don't fire him now but at minimum a win in the NCAA tournament should be the low threshold for keeping his job.

Hey *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# I'm probably older than you and played higher than your beer softball league. If you ain't watching film you ain't prepared.

i cant stand softball and im sure you are really fancy!

This team is very streaky. It has been that way for nearly the entire time that Tubby has been the coach. Right now these kids are falling down the roller-coaster, but I keep hoping they find that "streaky good" side to them sometime soon before the season spells NIT. They are an athletic and dynamic group of starters...when they are playing loose and carefree. We'll see if they can ever get back to that attitude this year or not.

Agreed, you don't fire him now but at minimum a win in the NCAA tournament should be the low threshold for keeping his job.

I don't think anyone here is saying Tubby should be fired immediately. It states in Tubby's contract extension that he can not be fired during the season.

If Andre Hollins is the #10 pick or higher in the 2014 draft I will eat Dr. Don's dirty underwear.

Is this the site that also predicted Williams to be a lottery pick after his junior year?

Nope---this is the site that predicted lottery pick his Freshman, Soph and Junior years.....which somehow ties into a discussion that was quite informative on this site about the worst beer anyone has drunk.

Good first post.

Ah yes, forgot about that pesky thing in tubby's contract.. lets just pretend I said to not make the decision to fire him until the season is over.

you are telling me Tubby won't be fired because of the $2.5 million
buyout? It's the same buyout going forward. It's effectively one years salary for Tubby.

If you don't fire him you are guaranteeing him he's here for the length of his contract or you are a clueless administrative leader.
Lots of reasons why. It is not going to improve under Tubby. He has established his history, his trend, his pattern at Minnesota. The assistant A.D. knows basketball. It is clear to him what is happening this season from a coaching performance viewpoint.
Comparing how things are done by Tubby versus Smart is probably quite alarming.

Are the present players having any fun playing? If Tubby stays there is a greater chance they transfer than if he is fired.

Seems pretty obvious to me the present available above average Minnesota high school talent is unlikely to play for Tubby given their other choices.

Hard to argue with anything you've said except that they are going to have to find a unicorn to bring them the $2.5M. His contract amendment doesn't even say that it can be paid out over time. In the words of the Vikings erstwhile talented wide receiver, "It's straight cash, Home Boy."

Hard to argue with anything you've said except that they are going to have to find a unicorn to bring them the $2.5M. His contract amendment doesn't even say that it can be paid out over time. In the words of the Vikings erstwhile talented wide receiver, "It's straight cash, Home Boy."

Neither did Mason, Monson and Brewster.

You're getting your Mossisms conflated. It's "straight cash, homey" and "Super Bowl, homeboy".

Hey guys, look at it this way, Spring Football is just around the corner!! We have that to take our minds off of the Basketball season! :)

Nope---this is the site that predicted lottery pick his Freshman, Soph and Junior years.....which somehow ties into a discussion that was quite informative on this site about the worst beer anyone has drunk.

He was the 3rd projected pick during his frosh year. He dropped significantly going into his sophomore year (mid first round). End of his soph year he was late first round....Jr year he was 2nd round and Sr year he was 2nd round. You obviously have not followed nbadraft.net and where Rodney has been placed because if you did you would know that what you said is completely incorrect. You are 100% incorrect and I can have nbadraft.net email me where he was placed each year if you want to continue your illiegitimate claims. The only aspect of NBAdraft.net that I am not too high on is that they rank the prospects too high based on potential. But I definitely think they have done a better job as the years have passed.

gopherbadgerman
Originally Posted by BuckyGopher
I think he s a good college player, but at his height he will have to play PG in the NBA, he just does not seem able to beat enough people off the dribble to play point in the NBA, or is a good enough floor general, ala Nash or even Ty Lawson...I HOPE he plays that well the rest of the year and would be very happy for him if he were to go that high, but it really seems (at least to me) that he is not looking like a high NBA pick now.

I got ya, I think he has jumped up so much in the NBA prospect rankings because nobody really heard of him before this year (other than gopher fans and a few b10 fans). If he can develop his PG skills in the next year and half I could see him as a mid to late first round pick due to his athleticism and shooting ability. He would also have decent size as a pg at the next level, just my .02

the site I was referring to is this site...gopherhole, there were plenty of folks HERE who picked him first round.

But they do support him. Let me say it once again. We're going dancing this year, next year, and the year after. The AD and administration do not listen to fan boards, many of whom are still in high school and/or never played a day of varsity sports.

Still possible to dance this year, lose on Thursday and it looks pretty tough, you have to figure loses @Ohio State and home against Indiana, with a loss to Wisconsin that might mean you would need to go 4-0 @Purdue, @Iowa, @Nebraska, and Penn State, possible but nothing so far would indicate this happening. You play them for a reason though.

Can someone please explain to me how you can possibly defend Tubby when the team looks clueless and collapses year after year?

I bet there are at least 100 high school coaches in MN that would have known how to make the in game adjustments to break the zone. Tubby simply has to go. He is a horrible coach in the Big Ten and should have been fired last summer. Unless this team makes a sweet 16 run I'd say there is a 90% chance all 3 of the 2014 big 3 go elsewhere. Thanks a lot Tubby

If we aren't there yet talent wise, that begs the question "why?"

I think Williams, Trevor and Dre are much better athletes and basketball players (as individuals) than Berggren, Evans or Jackson, but as a cohesive unit, they simply aren't. Is it lack of development? Bad fit? Poor recruiting?

I agree 100% on the athlete part. But Rodney Williams is not a good BB player. Great athlete, not a good BB player.

Top Bottom