FIRE OC

Matt Simon put on the best one-game audition for a job that you could ask for. Fleck decided to give the job to a guy who has had about 7 jobs in 10 years instead. Probably because he thought he had a cool haircut.
Yeah, I was a bit shocked by the hire. We'll see how long this tenure is.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm more concerned about the defense...they let Miami back into it. I think Rossi has a hotter seat than Sanford at the moment.
D is fine. 14 points is rarely going to beat a decent team.

After today’s embarrassment against Bowling Green, he definitely has to be fired. He ruined Jordan love at Utah State and he’s ruining Tanno Morgan now. It’s pretty obvious he doesn’t know what he’s doing.
He’s Robb Smith 2.0

Blaming the play-calling seems like a copout. The players need to play, good grief. The execution today was atrocious. They aren't good enough to have 2-4 guys sleepwalking through the game and still come away with a win.

The talent level between Minnesota and BG, the play-calling should not matter much of a hill of beans. Morgan was terrible today, and the OL was terrible with him.

The players are adults, it's okay to criticize them for playing like shit. They would be the first ones to tell you that. Faalele looked like he didn't even wake up for the game for starters. If I were to blame the coaching staff for anything, it would be for not pulling/benching enough guys who just plain didn't show up today.

Two years ago, many people including myself thought Morgan would be an NFL QB someday. He has regressed to the point right now where you have got to bench him and hopefully someone can come in and rescue the team from disaster. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED???
Good question. Remember when he hit 20 of 22 against Purdue in '19? The announcers were singing his praises then.

Blaming the play-calling seems like a copout. The players need to play, good grief.
Yes, the players need to play, but there is a problem with the play calling. Someone just posted in the other thread that we ran the ball 77% of the time today. For the season, we are at about 72% run. You can’t win being that one dimensional.

Wright? People are saying he didn't play today. Fleck would never say if there was an injury, academic, or discipline issue. Was probably hoping no one noticed and didn't ask.

And then my question comes right back to: then how the hell did we have nice passes against Ohio State?? Some were to Wright, of course, fine, but I don't think all were?

It can't be "they were all set up off play action". That's a bit tough for me to swallow. But ... maybe that's the hard truth.

If we were only good at passing because we established the run first, and we actually are terrible at dropback passing .... then all you have to do is sell out to stop our run and we're cooked.
Media at post game pressers are way too bad at their jobs to notice and ask about Wright.

Yes, the players need to play, but there is a problem with the play calling. Someone just posted in the other thread that we ran the ball 77% of the time today. For the season, we are at about 72% run. You can’t win being that one dimensional.
Morgan got sacked like 5 times with 13 pass attempts. You think they should have passed more? Are we trying to get him killed? The OL was a complete no-show. Period.

Sure, you can say they ran the ball too much, but good Lord, that is several items down the list for why today sucked. This veteran OL was a complete shit-show. Let's be honest about what it was. They should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves, and I'm sure they are.

Blaming the play-calling seems like a copout. The players need to play, good grief. The execution today was atrocious. They aren't good enough to have 2-4 guys sleepwalking through the game and still come away with a win.

The players are adults, it's okay to criticize them for playing like shit.
You could say the exact same thing about the 2018 Gophers defense under Robb Smith. I’m not going to pretend to know exactly what Rossi changed, but he used the same players, overall scheme, and had the same head coach and the team’s performance was night and day.

I don’t think Sanford’s playcalling and schemes put the offense in a position to succeed. I would like to hand the keys to someone else and see if they can drive this offense.

You could say the exact same thing about the 2018 Gophers defense under Robb Smith. I’m not going to pretend to know exactly what Rossi changed, but he used the same players, overall scheme, and had the same head coach and the team’s performance was night and day.

I don’t think Sanford’s playcalling and schemes put the offense in a position to succeed. I would like to hand the keys to someone else and see if they can drive this offense.
I'm inclined to agree, and I'm no fan of Sanford, make no mistake. But this team got pushed around and embarrassed today, and that's almost entirely effort and execution.

Matt Simon needs to be handed the play-calling duties, plain and simple.
Yes, still confused why PJ didn't go with Simon after the Auburn game. Again I'm wondering how much was masked by the talent we had for that game, but I remember the offense having a different feeling. Maybe that is wishful thinking me remembering it that way.

I'm inclined to agree, and I'm no fan of Sanford, make no mistake. But this team got pushed around and embarrassed today, and that's almost entirely effort and execution.
It's an old school perspective on offense, a coordinators jobs is to get the offense in flow. If this was the Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, ect. defense your point may be valid...in this case the OC is one of the worst I've seen and has utterly decimated the best Gopher QB of my Gopher watching life.

Last edited:

No argument here.

Morgan got sacked like 5 times with 13 pass attempts. You think they should have passed more? Are we trying to get him killed? The OL was a complete no-show. Period.

Sure, you can say they ran the ball too much, but good Lord, that is several items down the list for why today sucked. This veteran OL was a complete shit-show. Let's be honest about what it was. They should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves, and I'm sure they are.

Yes.....because we did the always predictable run, run, pass on third and long. The only way that we could have been more obvious is if Fleck and company were telling their team our plays directly.

Coach needed to have the O-line better prepared for blitzes. I even heard PJ on the radio before the game saying they expected a lot of blitzing. Also there was no adjustment in play calling to exploit the blitzing. Those are on the coach, not the players.

I would say the bigger issue than the OC is the ultra conservative offensive style Fleck was decided to take in these non-conference games. If you continue to take this approach sooner or later when you don’t play well its going to bite you and against Bowling Green it finally did.

It's an old school perspective on offense, a coordinators jobs is to get the offense in flow. If this was the Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, ect. defense your point may be valid...in this case the OC is one of the worst I've seen and has utterly decimated the best Gopher QB of my Gopher watching life.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nearly objectively correct, here.

I'm inclined to agree
Oh, you are? Because your troll posts before this were saying exactly the opposite, to provoke people.

Yes.....because we did the always predictable run, run, pass on third and long. The only way that we could have been more obvious is if Fleck and company were telling their team our plays directly.
I was just wondering if BG found a tell as to when we were going to run and when we were going to pass. It’s like they knew on every play. Is there an O lineman, or something, that is a tell?

OK, here is one play, one thing, and I have zero idea if this was Fleck or Sanford.

The 4th and 1 play. You can argue all day and all night about punting or going for it. That's not the discussion I'm making here.

I'm talking, the play call itself.

We were 13 personnel, although I believe two of the "TE" were actually just extra OL ......... and we ran the play out of shotgun?????

Not even pistol, where the RB is still behind the QB and can get some forward momentum. But full on shutgun, with the RB next to the QB and having to do that "read option" swipe thing.

What a terrible playcall for an 4th and 1.

It's at 2:15 here:

I was just wondering if BG found a tell as to when we were going to run and when we were going to pass. It’s like they knew on every play. Is there an O lineman, or something, that is a tell?

Maybe. But part of the tell was that our offensive gameplan had little to NO imagination. Up until the last couple of series where time was ticking down and we had little option......Morgan was 5/7!!!! passing the ball on first down. Think about that. Three of the five were for first downs and one of them was for 9 yards.

I don't know if it's Fleck, Sanford, of a bad-mojo combination of the both of them.

But they want to be this running machine, and don't want to pass the ball.

It was a lot of the same thing in 2020. We just had Mo, though, so everyone was like "well he's our best weapon, he's amazing, so that's why they run it all the time, and Tanner isn't the same, etc etc".

We don't have Mo, but we do have an amazing (on paper) OL, Potts is pretty good, and you'd think if there was some injury in 2020 to Tanner that that is healed now.

I don't get it.

Yes, still confused why PJ didn't go with Simon after the Auburn game. Again I'm wondering how much was masked by the talent we had for that game, but I remember the offense having a different feeling. Maybe that is wishful thinking me remembering it that way.

It’s been said that Fleck wants his OC to also be the QB coach, and Simon may not have the experience to coach QBs.

The best thing PJ should do is call Kirk. Offer him as QB coach and to mentor Matt Simon to become an OC. Not every OC is QB coach. Is there advantages? Sure! But if your current OC is falling asleep at the wheel throughout the game against BG. It is time to look for a change. It is the year to take control of narrative about where the team is going. Next year Offense is rebuild year. It is this year or bust for PJ Offense. It is pathetic that he went out and hired this brain dead guy. I cringe everytime I hear Mike Sanford speaks. Too much blah blah with little substance. He always remind me of dude who always say what their boss wants to hear. Not a good look for PJ. Hope someone within his circle with interest in his success will let him know that there is shitstrom brewing right now. Also there is some truth in crowd wisdom. If enough people are saying there is red flags, he better be damn sure his arrogance is pushing to make stupid decisions.

The talent level between Minnesota and BG, the play-calling should not matter much of a hill of beans. Morgan was terrible today, and the OL was terrible with him.

The players are adults, it's okay to criticize them for playing like shit. They would be the first ones to tell you that. Faalele looked like he didn't even wake up for the game for starters. If I were to blame the coaching staff for anything, it would be for not pulling/benching enough guys who just plain didn't show up today.
Some of this. But you also have to remember Bowling green have d1 coaches and players who are trying to win too

Minnesota is not entitled to win the game just because they’re in a better conference

Top Bottom