FIRE OC

IMO, Fleck and Coyle need to eat some humble pie and bring back Ciarrocco as OC and Claeys as DC.
Honestly, if PJ and Coyle had the balls to do that, combined with PJs recruiting ability, I think we’d have the start of a B1G West dynasty

I agree with this, 100%. I said repeatedly, the blame goes across the board, players and coaching staff. Reading the board, the armchair coaches, for the most part seem to want to lay this almost entirely on the OC, or the staff, etc. and that's just plain stupid. Of course if they had it to do over again, I'm sure they would call some things differently.

This was a team effort stinker, plain and simple. To try to lay this mostly on the offensive coaches is galactically stupid. Why is it so hard for some people to just admit the players and coaches both sucked? Coaches coach, players play. The execution was dreadful, missed assignments, effort lacking, etc. I don't know why some have such difficulty criticizing the players when it's appropriate.
Good points!

IMO, Fleck and Coyle need to eat some humble pie and bring back Ciarrocco as OC and Claeys as DC.
Honestly, if PJ and Coyle had the balls to do that, combined with PJs recruiting ability, I think we’d have the start of a B1G West dynasty
Easier said than done. You need people that fit your organization's culture and buy into it. It doesn't work in any organization if you don't have people on the same page.

I've heard it all if we think Claeys will bring us a dynasty, he's not even a DC anymore, he's LB coach for Virginia Tech. He got fired last DC job.

Plus, I don't think PJ and Claeys get along, not mention a host of other issues

i've seen it all

I've heard it all if we think Claeys will bring us a dynasty, he's not even a DC anymore, he's LB coach for Virginia Tech. He got fired last DC job.

Plus, I don't think PJ and Claeys get along, not mention a host of other issues

i've seen it all
Claeys isn't even that. He retired after the 2020 season.

Settle down cowboy. Potts is good and at the time I wrote that he had started one game. Did you look at the date? This was after the Miami game. Now, Potts is hurt and that’s probably not going to improve over time as we move into league play. That really sucks. The other guys looked good in their limited time
I didn't look at the dates so I apologize.

How would that be eating humble pie for fleck? Ciarocca left him? It would be KC eating humble pie.

As for claeys, lol

Fleck said it was because he wanted a QB coach to be coordinator. That was the simple excuse he gave for not hiring Simon.
Still leaves the Clay Patterson question open. Has QB coaching experience, Coordinated some high scoring offenses, albeit at a lower level of competition. It really must have been the lack of FBS co-ordinator experience, or maybe the offense he ran wasn't as close the fleck's desired offense as I thought.

Still leaves the Clay Patterson question open. Has QB coaching experience, Coordinated some high scoring offenses, albeit at a lower level of competition. It really must have been the lack of FBS co-ordinator experience, or maybe the offense he ran wasn't as close the fleck's desired offense as I thought.
I’ve always thought that Patterson was an interesting hire because of the creative, high-powered offenses he coached. Wonder if he has a voice in offensive game planning?

I don’t know if it’s Sanford or Fleck or probably a combo, but the offense is way too conservative and predictable and doesn’t utilize depth enough at RB and WR. There is no lack of talent, it’s just not being put in position to succeed.

Pretty sure he resigned.
IIRC he had major disagreement that degraded into a petty, personally insulting relationship with a couple of Leach's guys, and gave him an ultimatum that either they go or he (Claeys) goes.

Sure, you could've had Simon as WR/OC and move Patterson to QB coach, then get someone to coach TE's. Would've been a better move, to me.

I’ve always thought that Patterson was an interesting hire because of the creative, high-powered offenses he coached. Wonder if he has a voice in offensive game planning?
I don’t know if it’s Sanford or Fleck or probably a combo, but the offense is way too conservative and predictable and doesn’t utilize depth enough at RB and WR. There is no lack of talent, it’s just not being put in position to succeed.
At the high-level, there is pretty obvious a "brain trust" (ie, Fleck) that demands the "identity" of the offense a grind-it-out running game, zone plays with RPO.

Somewhere Fleck went, that worked well and he really like the philosophy of it. So that's what he decided he wanted for his team.

Like a lot of things with Fleck, what Schiano did at Rutgers really rubbed off on him. So a wild guess is that it's modeled after that.

Worked great at WMU, obviously. And hey, it worked great in 2019.

Fleck will tell you our offense is just fine this year. We scored 30+ points in 3 out of 4 games!

Maybe with the current crop of pass-catchers, they don't trust this QB putting the ball in the air more than is absolutely possible. Don't we at least have to consider that as a possibility?

Maybe with the current crop of pass-catchers, they don't trust this QB putting the ball in the air more than is absolutely possible. Don't we at least have to consider that as a possibility?
Their is nothing wrong with the pass catchers. You shouldn’t need multiple nfl wrs to be comfortable throwing the ball.

At the high-level, there is pretty obvious a "brain trust" (ie, Fleck) that demands the "identity" of the offense a grind-it-out running game, zone plays with RPO.

Somewhere Fleck went, that worked well and he really like the philosophy of it. So that's what he decided he wanted for his team.

Like a lot of things with Fleck, what Schiano did at Rutgers really rubbed off on him. So a wild guess is that it's modeled after that.

Worked great at WMU, obviously. And hey, it worked great in 2019.

Fleck will tell you our offense is just fine this year. We scored 30+ points in 3 out of 4 games!
It’s Tressell ball. Fleck coached under him. I’m not even mad about the conservativeness. Don’t mistake conservative for predictable though. And if you’re going to go conservative, own it, don’t got for it on 4th down deep in your own end, and don’t go for long field goals, play the field position game. Also doesn’t mean you have to run you’re starting rb into the ground.

Morgan needs to be better. He overthrew 28 by 10 yards early in the game. This should have been a touchdown. That miss and others by Morgan absolutely took away any confidence the coaches had in giving Morgan the opportunity to throw more. Fleck even said it in his press conference…they went to conservative play calling because of Morgan.

I think you're probably right but (IMO) the solution is not to go into a shell. It's similar to a team that struggles running, you still need to hand it off to keep people honest. In the miami game and the bowling green game, the linebackers and safeties had their ears pinned back. But you're right, our lack of playmakers has impacted how we call plays, but I think we are letting it have way more of an impact than it should.

Morgan needs to be better. He overthrew 28 by 10 yards early in the game. This should have been a touchdown. That miss and others by Morgan absolutely took away any confidence the coaches had in giving Morgan the opportunity to throw more. Fleck even said it in his press conference…they went to conservative play calling because of Morgan.
If this is truly the case, then PJ needs to have the stones to put in the backup QB, whomever that is. I don't care who the player is, if they don't have "it" that game, you need to pull them. Big Dan was getting owned- why was he still out there? Morgan clearly was off all game- why was he still out there?

Top Bottom