FIRE OC

Especially on that touchdown pass to Jackson.
No idea what they were writing about. There were 8 total completions:
Jackson - 4
Wright - 3
Spann-Ford - 1

I just can’t believe that we only threw 17 passes against that team.

I'm not going back to look for threads from 2019, but I imagine we felt the same way about the early season play calling with Kirk. It's Fleck. His goal is to win as simply as possible. Call as few plays as you can, minimize mistakes by throwing as little as possible and playing guys you trust 100%, etc. When they Purdue game came around the offense opened up and was throwing all over the place.... Probably because that's what was needed to win. Last week the offense was much more balanced against OSU. I expect that to be the case next week as well. Then we'll see a replay of the Miami game against Kent.

Yeah,... I knew that'd be brought up. It's the exception to the rule.

I do believe PJ goes into these games with a vanilla game plan. It’s unfathomable the offense that did what I feel was a pretty good job against OSU’s 4 and 5* D struggled against a likely mid-tier MAC team. They did the same thing in ‘19 before being a top-10 team. PJ’s teams struggle mightily the first few weeks of each of his seasons so far.
There is no reason Minnesota should not have put up 60 pints yesterday against a terrible MAC team. They have an offensive line with guys that are like 25 and a 3rd year starting quarterback.

I am still thinking 2019 was the outlier for this program, but we shall see.

I'm not going back to look for threads from 2019, but I imagine we felt the same way about the early season play calling with Kirk. It's Fleck. His goal is to win as simply as possible. Call as few plays as you can, minimize mistakes by throwing as little as possible and playing guys you trust 100%, etc. When they Purdue game came around the offense opened up and was throwing all over the place.... Probably because that's what was needed to win. Last week the offense was much more balanced against OSU. I expect that to be the case next week as well. Then we'll see a replay of the Miami game against Kent.
They were also really fortunate or lucky to win some of those games. If that penn state receiver doesn’t trip he scores and they probably lose that game. With some other crazy heroics in non conference games they lose them too.

my biggest complaint was Maryland last year. You knew the defense could stop anyone and went so conservative the entire 4th quarter letting Maryland back into the game. You held the ball for 7 minutes and punted 3 times to lose the game.

There is no reason Minnesota should not have put up 60 pints yesterday against a terrible MAC team. They have an offensive line with guys that are like 25 and a 3rd year starting quarterback.

I am still thinking 2019 was the outlier for this program, but we shall see.
I felt like drinking 60 pints watching the game.

Another thread that didn’t age well.

I don't agree with the play calling as I don't feel it is "elite." However, scoring 30 points every time you go out is hard to argue about. We did not lose to OSU because of our offense (minus the 2 penalties that kill a crucial drive). Time will tell if the strategy Fleck uses against inferior teams will eventually burn him, but hard to argue against 21 straight.

Perhaps the play calling is to help us recruit offensive linemen. We have struggled here and need to show we can get OL to the NFL and we play a brand of football that is great for them.

Last edited:

I don't agree with the play calling as I don't feel it is "elite." However, scoring 30 points every time you go out is hard to argue about. We did not lose to OSU because of our offense (minus the 2 penalties that kill a crucial drive). Time will tell if the strategy Fleck uses against inferior teams will eventually burn him, but hard to argue against 21 straight.

Perhaps the play calling is to help us recruit offensive linemen. We have struggled her and need to show we can get OL to the NFL and we play a brand of football that is great for them.
OSU fans complained about Tressel's offense when he was there. I think it suffered some of the same " issues" we are seeing with Fleck's teams.

Basically, to can usually consistently score, but you're limited by how long it takes to score, and if the defense doesn't hold the other team to a low score the and is going to be close.

As long as Fleck is here, we'll probably never see scores much higher than mid 30s, because there's only so much time in the game to chew up.

I will say this:

all the folks defending everything Sanford ever did very convenient ignore the fact that the 2021 offense looks much closer in scheme/spirit to the 2019 offense, than it does to the 2020 offense!

Fleck secretly put Simon in charge???

RB's look great. Would like to see more passing plays to our backs as it appears Potts is very talented out in space and so is Irving. I know Irving has special skills at catching the ball and Potts could be the same. That would definitely provide more offensive diversity and leave other teams in question on how to defend the next play. We do have some speed so a few quick poppers can turn into a few long gainers at times.

RB's look great. Would like to see more passing plays to our backs as it appears Potts is very talented out in space and so is Irving. I know Irving has special skills at catching the ball and Potts could be the same. That would definitely provide more offensive diversity and leave other teams in question on how to defend the next play. We do have some speed so a few quick poppers can turn into a few long gainers at times.

I thought I saw them try it at least a couple times yesterday but CO played it well and put pressure on Tanner with no RB in to pass block.

I think Irving in particular would be explosive in space. A nice little short pass to him might pay huge dividends. It is another option to think about!

We tried a passing play to a back and it would have worked but we got flagged for OL downfield. It was some kind of screen. Two OL out front by design. But RB was across the line of scrimmage when he caught the pass. If pass caught behind the line, OK for OL to be downfield. I expect to see that play again, with a little better QB-RB coordination. It would put a playmaker in space.

I will say this:

all the folks defending everything Sanford ever did very convenient ignore the fact that the 2021 offense looks much closer in scheme/spirit to the 2019 offense, than it does to the 2020 offense!

Fleck secretly put Simon in charge???
Lol... Conspiracy theory much?! Couldn't possibly be the fact the team had a full off-season to work together so Sanford could learn their strengths, work with the assistants, and of course teach the players? I wasn't impressed by 2020 either, but I give credit where it's due.

Lol... Conspiracy theory much?! Couldn't possibly be the fact the team had a full off-season to work together so Sanford could learn their strengths, work with the assistants, and of course teach the players? I wasn't impressed by 2020 either, but I give credit where it's due.
Sanford this summer: "Dude! This 2019 Gopher offense tape is awesome! I love this stuff! We're doing this!! Why didn't anyone show me before???"

The play calling matched what was called for in this game. RTB!!!

OSU fans complained about Tressel's offense when he was there. I think it suffered some of the same " issues" we are seeing with Fleck's teams.

Basically, to can usually consistently score, but you're limited by how long it takes to score, and if the defense doesn't hold the other team to a low score the and is going to be close.

As long as Fleck is here, we'll probably never see scores much higher than mid 30s, because there's only so much time in the game to chew up.
Yup. And the strategy depends upon having a defense that can hold everyone under 20 to win a championship

which I’m still waiting to see if we can get done

The team is learning and gelling together. We will see what the Gopher's offense is capable of in due time.

Just keep winning!

Yup. And the strategy depends upon having a defense that can hold everyone under 20 to win a championship

We're all "waiting to see" how the season turns out. That's the life of a football fan!

But remember: If we wait until the Gophers win a championship to begin to enjoy watching this team, we will quite possibly have missed out on a lot of fun. Championship seasons are a rare occurrence for most every team. We can't all be Alabama.

We're all "waiting to see" how the season turns out. That's the life of a football fan!

But remember: If we wait until the Gophers win a championship to begin to enjoy watching this team, we will quite possibly have missed out on a lot of fun. Championship seasons are a rare occurrence for most every team. We can't all be Alabama.
No question

I don’t get the haters

Hmmmm... did Tressel's teams hold everybody under 20?

Speaking of Jim Tressel, I just visited his Wiki page.

I have to say I was blown away. Talk about paying your dues! Tressel coached the Youngstown State Penguins for 15 freakin' years before he got hired at Ohio State. 15 years!

Say what you want about him, he put in his time. And then he got fired because some kids traded jerseys for free tattoos? Wow. Seems kind of tame, in this modern age of NIL.

Personnel, Personnel, Personnel... 2021 OL is much more like 2019 than it was last season. The WR situation, now that CrAB is back and with the emergence of Wright, is looking more and more like 2019 rather than 2020. Both of these reasons mean we are most likely going to see more and more of 2019ish Tanner Morgan.

Sanford this summer: "Dude! This 2019 Gopher offense tape is awesome! I love this stuff! We're doing this!! Why didn't anyone show me before???"
More like "Man! I wish I had that QB..."

Top Bottom