FIRE OC

We should be used to barely winning non conference games. Heck even the 2019 got off to a slow start. They tend to play vanilla and slow even against teams that they could open it up more against. I don’t like it but if Wright is okay, I think this offense is gonna be fine. The team had quite a few third down conversions in the first half and Morgan was on the money.

We should be used to barely winning non conference games. Heck even the 2019 got off to a slow start. They tend to play vanilla and slow even against teams that they could open it up more against. I don’t like it but if Wright is okay, I think this offense is gonna be fine. The team had quite a few third down conversions in the first half and Morgan was on the money.
Will be nice to have CrAB for shorter passes and Wright can be the deep threat.

True. That was all without Chris Autman-Bell and Ibrahim too. Didn't see Jordan Howdan out there on Defense either.

The lack of pressure on Gabbert and Mayer was troubling. Particularly since they were blitzing and still didn't get much pressure.

Colorado game will tell us a lot more.

True. That was all without Chris Autman-Bell and Ibrahim too. Didn't see Jordan Howdan out there on Defense either.

The lack of pressure on Gabbert and Mayer was troubling. Particularly since they were blitzing and still didn't get much pressure.

Colorado game will tell us a lot more.
Colorado leads Texas A&M 7-3 with 7 minutes left in the game. We’ll be playing a P5 team with a real, functioning defense next week. Running Potts ten times in a row to the same spot ain’t going to cut it. We need to have more than three plays in our offensive repertoire…

I was at the game and seemed like the WRs did us no favors. Would be curious to re-watch and count.

Makes you realize how big of a drop it is from guys like Bateman, Johnson, CrAB, Wright to the other guys.

I think I counted at least 6 dropped passes in a row in the 3rd quarter. More if you count the end of the 2nd quarter. A handful would have been tough catches but good receivers make most of those plays. All those drops really screwed up the offensive rhythm and team play in general. The receivers need to step up. I said the same thing last week.

good receivers make most of those plays. All those drops really screwed up the offensive rhythm and team play in general. The receivers need to step up. I said the same thing last week.
It's the difference between 2019 Tanner Morgan and the one the Gophers have had since... Morgan isn't going to will this team to any victories. He's going to need a lot of help. The emergence of Dylan Wright has been a welcome addition to the team. I'm hoping that with CAB and Wright (along with Jackson) catching Morgan's throws, Sanford will be able to get the offense back to the 2019 levels..

Offense was really good last week... I'd almost say awesome considering the opponent. Sanford should maybe get a pass for today considering the team lost its best player last week, was without their best WR again, and lost their second best WR during the game. Plus I have to imagine the game plan was to stay as boring as possible and still win. Mission accomplished in that case. If they struggle all season, then sure, maybe time for a change. But let's see a few more weeks as they recalibrate after losing Ibrahim.

Plus I have to imagine the game plan was to stay as boring as possible and still win. Mission accomplished in that case.

This is about the rosiest possible spin one can put on things. Except we've seen this white-knuckled risk-adverse approach all too many times, including games when they clearly weren't saving any of Sanford's genius X's and O's creativity for future outbursts.

So they A) barely beat an inferior team and B) did not address their over-reliance on a few players on offense. This has also been a pattern with Fleck teams and can't be encouraging to much of the depth chart when you see only 1RB with more than 5 yards and 2 WR with catches. Good teams are not relying on just one or two players every play, especially against inferior opponents.

I’ve been saying this since day one, Sanford was not the right hire. His resume showed he’s a job jumper, no consistency. Just make Simon the sole OC. Sanford sucks.

Tanner was really good in the first half and (IMO) was neutered by awful play calling in the second half.

Also - please get more RBs some touches. Mo should not have been getting 30+ carries per game, Potts should absolutely not be getting 30+ carries per game. It's too much and it is completely unnecessary.
I'd agree with this assessment

This is about the rosiest possible spin one can put on things. Except we've seen this white-knuckled risk-adverse approach all too many times, including games when they clearly weren't saving any of Sanford's genius X's and O's creativity for future outbursts.

So they A) barely beat an inferior team and B) did not address their over-reliance on a few players on offense. This has also been a pattern with Fleck teams and can't be encouraging to much of the depth chart when you see only 1RB with more than 5 yards and 2 WR with catches. Good teams are not relying on just one or two players every play, especially against inferior opponents.
Extreme reliance on one or two players is a huge problem when you get that player injured (which in a long season you probably will). No experienced or CONFIDENT players to step up. Good teams distribute the ball as a long term strategy to make sure there are folks who can step up. If we are building a team that (predictably) runs 80% of the time, good luck catching up in any games in which we fall behind. We absolutely need a diverse offense that can score quickly as well as grind it out, because it looks like another year in which most opponents’ offenses will have their best game of the year, their pinnacle offensive performance, against our defense. I vote to shit can Tressel Ball. Let the playmakers play.

Last edited:

Well he said they had three drives stopped by dropped passes... probably on 3rd and long.
Two of top my head and one when wide open wright fell down.

Extreme reliance on one or two players is a huge problem when you get that player injured (which in a long season you probably will). No experienced or CONFIDENT players to step up. Good teams distribute the ball as a long term strategy to make sure there are folks who can step up. If we are building a team that (predictably) runs 80% of the time, good luck catching up in any games in which we fall behind. We absolutely need a diverse offense that can score quickly as well as grind it out, because it looks like another year in which most opponents’ offenses will have their best game if the year, their pinnacle game, against our defense. I vote to shitcan Tressel Ball. Let the playmakers play.
Agreed, and when is it best get younger guys game experience and figure out what else you have in the cupboard? Against the weaker non-conference matchups, or after a mid-game injury, down a touchdown in a rivalry game on the road?

My gripe really isn't over just this Miami game, it's in the pattern going back to last season even when the games were clearly decided either way and for some reason, the Gophers would not even get the backup QBs a few snaps in the final minutes. Tanner did not benefit from taking those snaps and further, you could even argue there was some level of risk for him to get injured at garbage time.

Agreed, and when is it best get younger guys game experience and figure out what else you have in the cupboard? Against the weaker non-conference matchups, or after a mid-game injury, down a touchdown in a rivalry game on the road?

My gripe really isn't over just this Miami game, it's in the pattern going back to last season even when the games were clearly decided either way and for some reason, the Gophers would not even get the backup QBs a few snaps in the final minutes. Tanner did not benefit from taking those snaps and further, you could even argue there was some level of risk for him to get injured at garbage time.
You have to be doubly sure that backup players at key positions never see the field, even in blow outs. How else can you assure that they will be sufficiently unprepared if thrown into the game in an emergency? Miami played two quarterbacks today. Did it help them dominate us in the 3rd Q? I rest my case.

3rd quarter play calling was abysmal. The only plus was the adjustment in the 4th to add motion to our runs to keep the backside d line honest. It actually sealed the game with the touchdown and first downs late in the game.

Colorado leads Texas A&M 7-3 with 7 minutes left in the game. We’ll be playing a P5 team with a real, functioning defense next week. Running Potts ten times in a row to the same spot ain’t going to cut it. We need to have more than three plays in our offensive repertoire…

Minnesota has already played Ohio State who has far more talent than Colorado does. Ohio State's worst starting defensive lineman is probably a better pro prospect than Colorado's best one. The Gophers scored 31 legitimate offensive points and put up over 400 yards on the Buckeyes.

It's not as gloomy as it seems. The Gophers got complacent and lazy for a while today and need to clean that part up as much as anything.

Why give Colorado more film to work with. If three to four plays gets the W, so be it. Many times offenses start slow. I expect the playbook to open up for most of the rest of the games.

Minnesota has already played Ohio State who has far more talent than Colorado does. Ohio State's worst starting defensive lineman is probably a better pro prospect than Colorado's best one. The Gophers scored 31 legitimate offensive points and put up over 400 yards on the Buckeyes.

It's not as gloomy as it seems. The Gophers got complacent and lazy for a while today and need to clean that part up as much as anything.
Besides not giving Colorado a whole lot, I believe that coaches also want the team to be able to run a few core plays no matter what they face.

I was at the game and seemed like the WRs did us no favors. Would be curious to re-watch and count.

Makes you realize how big of a drop it is from guys like Bateman, Johnson, CrAB, Wright to the other guys.
Wright had 2 key drops, one where he stumbled and fell.

It's the difference between 2019 Tanner Morgan and the one the Gophers have had since... Morgan isn't going to will this team to any victories. He's going to need a lot of help. The emergence of Dylan Wright has been a welcome addition to the team. I'm hoping that with CAB and Wright (along with Jackson) catching Morgan's throws, Sanford will be able to get the offense back to the 2019 levels..
Let’s see 🤔, what’s the difference between 2019 and the last 2 seasons? Oh, we have a new OC.

I think Wiley should play defense. Seems to be a great athlete. The defense needs some speed.
I don’t get the Wiley hate, I haven’t seen one open hole for him on any of his runs this season. He’s a terrific athlete, I’d actually like to see him get more run.

Let’s see 🤔, what’s the difference between 2019 and the last 2 seasons? Oh, we have a new OC.
Also the missing or wounded NFL caliber receivers. Which is more of a factor... those receivers or the OC?

Top Bottom