Fan attendance

So I am gathering that you are not someone who is willing to talk to the other side. I can accept that. I pray for you that you change. It is a hard life when you cant communicate with 1/2 of society.

Half of society?? Your numbers are way off. I think that will be proven on November 3. But honestly, even a good chunk of the Republicans that might vote for Trump are smart enough to know he is an idiot. They are just voting to hold party lines and he is all they have for 2020.

But half of society is a gross overestimation. Out of my 100+ friends and family, I literally know 2 who are voting for Trump. I continue to be friends with those 2, but we just don't talk politics. I also don't have any need to talk to people who support racism and bigotry.

Not true. There were much stricter lockdowns during the 1918 pandemic, for example. We also haven’t been in a lockdown in most of the US in many months.

For a significantly deadlier disease, especially in the 20-40 year old age range. Plus we didn't have anywhere near the technology then that we do today.

Also define lockdown? Many people consider places locked down, if you're not allowed to go there. Sporting events, concerts, some bars/restaurants are still 'locked down'.

Last edited:

It would be nice to let those that are living in student housing into the game and seat them in sections according to which dorm they live in...they could even enter designated gates by dorm as well. Freshman have been F'd so much already...give them something.

This makes no sense. Its like saying " you have free choice to do whatever you want, but we are going to close everything down...but hey you have the choice" See how that is as contradictive as it gets.
Close down everything?

Jesus Christ. The point is not if I or some other person under 50 catches it and whether we can die. The point is that if enough people catch it at some event - especially if they are unaware for a period of time - it's very contagious and can spread quickly. The more people who have it, the easier someone who is at risk can get it.

Bottom line is that nobody but some Trump buffoons are "trying to live their normal lives" right now. Even those not at much risk understand that we all need to make adjustments at this time. It's called being a good human and considering others in your decisions.

People have been 'being good humans' for 7 months now and 'being good humans' continues to destroy young, healthy peoples lives and livelihoods.

There is absolutely no reason for people who are not at risk, to not go back to living their normal lives, if they choose. They should also continue to be 'good humans' and not put at risk people in their lives, at risk,

If you are high risk, it's up to you how you want to live your life, not the governments.

People have been 'being good humans' for 7 months now and 'being good humans' continues to destroy young, healthy peoples lives and livelihoods.

There is absolutely no reason for people who are not at risk, to not go back to living their normal lives, if they choose. They should also continue to be 'good humans' and not put at risk people in their lives, at risk,

If you are high risk, it's up to you how you want to live your life, not the governments.

It's destroying young, healthy peoples' lives? I'm 43 and very healthy. Most of my friends are in their late 20s, 30s and early 40s. All pretty healthy people. I know one or two people who have lost jobs, but I also know more who have landed even better jobs in the last 7 months. Me and my fiancee are saving money at a record clip (thanks to no travel during COVID). Me and my friends have gathered in small groups in the mountains nearly every weekend for the past 6 weeks to hang out together. None of us have spread COVID, BUT we also get tested before those social gatherings. Sure, my wedding and bachelor party had to be postponed, but I'd rather have people be comfortable than put a bunch of people I care about at risk

Bottom line is not every social group is going to go to those lengths to test weekly and when you're talking about doing a large gathering of fans in the thousands - as we can see in the South - it's quite impossible to control behaviors and make sure people are being responsible.

It's destroying young, healthy peoples' lives? I'm 43 and very healthy. Most of my friends are in their late 20s, 30s and early 40s. All pretty healthy people. I know one or two people who have lost jobs, but I also know more who have landed even better jobs in the last 7 months. Me and my fiancee are saving money at a record clip (thanks to no travel during COVID). Me and my friends have gathered in small groups in the mountains nearly every weekend for the past 6 weeks to hang out together. None of us have spread COVID, BUT we also get tested before those social gatherings. Sure, my wedding and bachelor party had to be postponed, but I'd rather have people be comfortable than put a bunch of people I care about at risk

Bottom line is not every social group is going to go to those lengths to test weekly and when you're talking about doing a large gathering of fans in the thousands - as we can see in the South - it's quite impossible to control behaviors and make sure people are being responsible.

And the government shouldn't be 'controlling behaviors' of people choosing to live how they were living 8 months ago. Continuing to attempt this is only making things worse for everyone. It's not stopping the virus, which is never going to happen, and it continues to destroy businesses, especially small businesses that make a living off of social interaction.

For a significantly deadlier disease, especially in the 20-40 year old age range. Plus we didn't have anywhere near the technology then that we do today.

Also define lockdown? Many people consider places locked down, if you're not allowed to go there. Sporting events, concerts, some bars/restaurants are still 'locked down'.
I don’t disagree. statement was still not true.

Lockdowns are usually referred to when there’s a stay at home order or something similar. Meaning only essential businesses are open.

Let’s look at Sweden once again. Many people say they are not in a lockdown and never was. But you cannot attend concerts, sporting events or really anything with 50+ people there. There’s a huge difference between the restrictions we’re seeing in the US and the lockdown we’re seeing in places like Australia.

Half of society?? Your numbers are way off. I think that will be proven on November 3. But honestly, even a good chunk of the Republicans that might vote for Trump are smart enough to know he is an idiot. They are just voting to hold party lines and he is all they have for 2020.

But half of society is a gross overestimation. Out of my 100+ friends and family, I literally know 2 who are voting for Trump. I continue to be friends with those 2, but we just don't talk politics. I also don't have any need to talk to people who support racism and bigotry.
To give you some perspective. I support the conversation and change surrounding racial equity and systematic racism AND I support law enforcement. I am fiscally conservative AND liberal on social issues. It’s not a all or none world. This is exactly the thinking that continues to polarize our world.
I don’t want to dismiss anyone in this world. I voted for Obama AND I voted for Trump.
It’s ok to have different view points. We can all exist in peace and be kind to each other.

To give you some perspective. I support the conversation and change surrounding racial equity and systematic racism AND I support law enforcement. I am fiscally conservative AND liberal on social issues. It’s not a all or none world. This is exactly the thinking that continues to polarize our world.
I don’t want to dismiss anyone in this world. I voted for Obama AND I voted for Trump.
It’s ok to have different view points. We can all exist in peace and be kind to each other.

You make good points. I would definitely like to see things far less polarized.

The one thing I am going to disagree with is that anyone who will vote for Trump again after all these shenanigans has lost their mind - or just wants to be a dick. I don't see how a person can make an educated argument for another 4 years. Sorry.

The one thing I am going to disagree with is that anyone who will vote for Trump again after all these shenanigans has lost their mind - or just wants to be a dick. I don't see how a person can make an educated argument for another 4 years. Sorry.

I could give you a list of many accomplishments that Trump set out to accomplish and then carried out what his 2016 campaign ran on. Trump is certainly a different kinda cat, but as far his policies go, I gotta give the guy credit. Some might say you have to be some kind of terrible person to vote for a Biden/Harris ticket. Politics, go figure.

And the government shouldn't be 'controlling behaviors' of people choosing to live how they were living 8 months ago. Continuing to attempt this is only making things worse for everyone. It's not stopping the virus, which is never going to happen, and it continues to destroy businesses, especially small businesses that make a living off of social interaction.

Its the me, me, me, me generation. A stronger sense of personal responsibility and shared civic duty and we would be in a much better place. Small businesses will continue to suffer until the pandemic is better controlled.

I could give you a list of many accomplishments that Trump set out to accomplish and then carried out what his 2016 campaign ran on. Trump is certainly a different kinda cat, but as far his policies go, I gotta give the guy credit. Some might say you have to be some kind of terrible person to vote for a Biden/Harris ticket. Politics, go figure.

Ah yes, accomplishments like destroying America’s international standing, emoldening white supremacists, likely permanently politicizing the DOJ and other civil services and tearing down any objectivity in federal law enforcement, responding with absolutely no coherent plan to the coronavirus (despite what some on this thread might say) resulting in one of the highest per capita death rates in the world, implementing the most regressive and corporation-friendly tax regimes in American history, repeatedly enacting harmful environmental regulatory roll backs, doing absolutely nothing about climate change, and being an overall nice guy and role model for our youth, etc.

So those accomplishments?

I could make a lot of educated arguments. As can anyone that is voting for Biden. As could anyone who is voting independent. The point is to not put someone down because they have different beliefs, but to try to educate yourself about why they see things differently. It’s makes us all kinder and more human.

The thing about football is that it is outdoors, you can accommodate some fans, what you have to control is the entry and exit to make it safe, there should be a way to do that in my mind, if you can safely fly on a plane you should be able to have at least 15k fans spread out.

I've no pulse on voters or voting so who knows but...

Rando anecdotal stuff is that the all GOP yard sign folks in area's I've been have been notably absent of Trump & Pence signs. Now that might not matter anyway as maybe they vote for him and just don't want the sign. But I've been shocked to see a lot of GOP yard signs ... with Biden Harris signs (a lot being ... well kinda any amount). I can't remember ever seeing crossovers like that in the past outside of your typical local elections that often party is less relevant.

So I got tested this week (no results yet) due to someone else being a jackass (not me this time).

I kinda wish if you tested postive, recovered, and such you could go to events .... but at the same time I admit that might create a perverse incentive... (let alone the larger questions about reinfection).

Still not sure fall football is really working this year. We'll see if the Big 10 can do better than the other conferences, but it could blow up by mid November in states currently awash in Covid.

Still not sure fall football is really working this year. We'll see if the Big 10 can do better than the other conferences, but it could blow up by mid November in states currently awash in Covid.

I feel like it's really going to come down to not only how committed the programs are to taking necessary precautions, but also how committed the young players are to taking risks and avoiding situations where they can be exposed. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I feel like PJ is doing as good of a job as any getting this message across and getting his players on board - this was probably already a bit easier due to the culture in place.

But there is definitely going to be differentiation by conference, but also by teams. Some of that has to be attributed to the difference in attitude about COVID and application of the preventative measures.

I feel like it's really going to come down to not only how committed the programs are to taking necessary precautions, but also how committed the young players are to taking risks and avoiding situations where they can be exposed. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I feel like PJ is doing as good of a job as any getting this message across and getting his players on board - this was probably already a bit easier due to the culture in place.

But there is definitely going to be differentiation by conference, but also by teams. Some of that has to be attributed to the difference in attitude about COVID and application of the preventative measures.
Yeah I wonder about ... compliance.

There were coaches talking about not giving out COVID info because it might give another team a 'competitive advantage' if they knew who was in and out.

But if a team was able to keep that info secret, maybe they could also keep other things secret ....

No indications of that happening yet but i wonder how much checking there is.

I think the B1G daily rapid testing of athletes and coaches may make the biggest difference. We're seeing delayed games due to multiple players being out at the same time on teams, and I honestly am pretty confident the same won't happen in the B1G. I won't go as far as to say that no one will get it during the season and have to miss games, but I don't think we'll see the same type of effect as we are seeing now with the conferences that are only testing 3x a week.

I do think the B1G is more likely to have success than the SEC. Anyone who has spent time in SEC country in the last few months has seen firsthand how seriously many (most?) people take COVID precautions. That is to say that they do not take it seriously at all. This is perfectly encapsulated by an SEC coach saying they need to put 90,000 people in a stadium and in the same breath saying that they are a model for COVID mitigation measures (only to have a breakout days later).

I am confident that the B1G will take COVID mitigation measures more seriously. One, because more people take it seriously in the region in general. And two, because we have the benefit of seeing what happens when you don’t take it seriously (multiple CFB games being canceled) vs. when you do (NFL doing fairly well *so far*).

I do think the B1G is more likely to have success than the SEC. Anyone who has spent time in SEC country in the last few months has seen firsthand how seriously many (most?) people take COVID precautions. This is perfectly encapsulated by an SEC coach saying they need to put 90,000 people in a stadium and in the same breath saying that they are a model for COVID mitigation measures (only to days later have a breakout).

I am confident that the B1G will take COVID mitigation measures more seriously. One, because more people take it seriously in the region in general. And two, because we have the benefit of seeing what happens when you don’t take it seriously (multiple CFB games being canceled) vs. when you do (NFL doing fairly well *so far*).

Dan Mullen be all "I'm in Florida, better act like Florida Man!"

I do think the B1G is more likely to have success than the SEC. Anyone who has spent time in SEC country in the last few months has seen firsthand how seriously many (most?) people take COVID precautions. That is to say that they do not take it seriously at all. This is perfectly encapsulated by an SEC coach saying they need to put 90,000 people in a stadium and in the same breath saying that they are a model for COVID mitigation measures (only to have a breakout days later).

Really it depends on where you live. My daughter teaches in a small town in Iowa Fairfield. And no one in town wears masks. The school does require them but they are back in school. The whole county has only had 200 infections. So they are not really worried about it. I'm looking at getting acreage in that area and couldn't believe the realtor shook my hand.

You should try it and see what happens.

Fortunately, I don't think there are several thousand people that stupid in Minneapolis who fail to understand where things are right now
Luckily they'll all be watching high school football

Yeah I wonder about ... compliance.

There were coaches talking about not giving out COVID info because it might give another team a 'competitive advantage' if they knew who was in and out.

But if a team was able to keep that info secret, maybe they could also keep other things secret ....

No indications of that happening yet but i wonder how much checking there is.
Funny I should wonder about compliance.

SEC is kinda serious about it:

I really like PJ and feel he has navigated the Covid outbreak (so far as I know) as well as anyone. He says the right things at the right times. I think Paul Chryst has been a good example as well. I do think the B1G wants to go the extra mile to make this work but, man, things in my state are not good and the local football team has already been drilled by Covid once.

Top Bottom