Dylan Wright no longer with team

No matter what, I hope he ends up with a degree.

The only objectively wrong move he can make, in the grand scheme of life, is to have the raw physical talent that football coaches drool over, enough to attend three different universities over 5-6 years ... and find a way to not graduate.
This. I hope he's OK mentally. He had some bad things happen to him back home. I'm hoping he gets his degree and is successful. He made the choice to come here and so i wish him nothing but the best.

This is disappointing, but Mike Brown-Stephens was a more productive WR than Wright.
I think the difference being we saw maybe a higher ceiling for wright if he just could put the pieces together… kinda seemed to be happening a little late last season…

But I don’t disagree with your point generally.

I think the difference being we saw maybe a higher ceiling for wright if he just could put the pieces together… kinda seemed to be happening a little late last season…

The potential of what Wright could do is really the only reason that anyone even cares that much about him leaving at all.

It is a shame it didn't come together for him here, hopefully for his sake it does eventually but this isn't a huge loss for the football team based on what Wright has accomplished to this point in his Gopher career.

Wright and MBS would both almost certainly have been buried on the current WR depth chart. Not surprising that either is moving on to something else.

Wright and MBS would both almost certainly have been buried on the current WR depth chart. Not surprising that either is moving on to something else.
Eh, possibly…

Even PJ said that they haven’t seen these guys “play football” yet.

Arguably Wright might have helped burry some guys when he transferred, didn’t seem to do that much.

In that same light, MBS could have been a solid WR if he could get over the dropsies. But the fact is both had their issues that they couldn't seem to overcome. We'll be ok without them.

Eh, possibly…

Even PJ said that they haven’t seen these guys “play football” yet.

Arguably Wright might have helped burry some guys when he transferred, didn’t seem to do that much.
True, but the key difference between Spencer and Crooms vs. Wright as transfers is that the 2 coming in this season have both had high levels of success at the college level whereas Wright had not.

Both will face a step up in competition by moving to the Big Ten so no guarantees they can hack it. But at the very least they have shown they can do it in college. Everything with Wright has centered on what it seems like he could become based on his physical tools.

Unless the offense changes a lot we should be fine, we haven’t really had three featured wrs and we’ll still have five options with solid experience this year. Plus like four guys with no experience. Going 7 experienced guys deep in this offense would have been a luxury, but I doubt we’ll ever really see that much with the transfer rules what they are.

I'd expect more aerial attacks with Athan at the center. But, even with this, I didn't think Dylan Wright separated himself from the competition as a consistent reliable player.

Good luck to him in his next endeavor.

I was hoping Dylan would turn the corner, breakthrough, and put it all together. Definitely talented, but who knows what he might be going through. I wish him good luck and hope he finds what he is looking for.

So…it’s been two weeks since this news came out, he is still not officially in the portal as far as I can tell.

So…it’s been two weeks since this news came out, he is still not officially in the portal as far as I can tell.
Could be a situation where he is just done with football. I hope for his sake he is able to figure out a way to cash in on the obvious skills he has athletically but there are countless stories of guys who just can't ever get it together.

True....but it still seems strange he hasn't announced "i am entering the portal" which I've seen a lot of other guys do.....
No inside info or anything, just a hunch but I feel like this points to him being done playing.

No inside info or anything, just a hunch but I feel like this points to him being done playing.
Or maybe he has already been contacted “on the side” (feelers, etc.) and knows where he’s going?

Might not be a downward move (FCS), but it would be a shame if he doesn’t end up on a roster at least at that level.

No player can officially enter the portal until May.

The two “windows” for doing so are in Dec-Jan (45 days) and May (15 days).
So I guess 247 reports players not officially in the portal cause they have Carter listed and like four or five other gophers listed since January. Bishop and Carter have been visiting other teams I assume not on their own dime. And how did we land the WMU transfers in November?

So I guess 247 reports players not officially in the portal cause they have Carter listed and like four or five other gophers listed since January. Bishop and Carter have been visiting other teams I assume not on their own dime. And how did we land the WMU transfers in November?
Ah I see if a coach is fired players can enter within 30 days even if it outside the window. Grad transfers can enter at any time. I assume Carter is a grad transfer then if he is talking with Illinois.

I would assume 247 goes off of Twitter announcements.

The rules are in place this school year, and the windows are the windows. You can’t officially enter outside those windows.

I have no idea how visits are being conducted for them.

I don’t know if there is a rule about a school team paying for a visit for a transfer who is not in the portal but has “officially” (in some sense?) left the previous school?

Ah I see if a coach is fired players can enter within 30 days even if it outside the window. Grad transfers can enter at any time. I assume Carter is a grad transfer then if he is talking with Illinois.
Do you have a link for these two exceptions to the new windows rule?? Thanks!

And yes I suppose TC could have earned enough credits, perhaps including th is spring semester? Or maybe even by the fall?, to up and declare that he is graduating from the U.

Do you have a link for these two exceptions to the new windows rule?? Thanks!

And yes I suppose TC could have earned enough credits, perhaps including th is spring semester? Or maybe even by the fall?, to up and declare that he is graduating from the U.
It was in a espn article when I googled the topic, sounded like other schools are not suppose to have contact with players that aren’t officially in the portal. https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ootball-new-transfer-portal-windows-explained

We beat Purdue if the ball wasn’t thrown to MBS. Unacceptable pass and tip on a perfectly thrown ball. See the Wisconsin finish as an example…

We beat Purdue if the ball wasn’t thrown to MBS. Unacceptable pass and tip on a perfectly thrown ball. See the Wisconsin finish as an example…

The pass itself was more than 'acceptable'; as you yourself said, it was damn near perfect.

I don't believe in bagging endlessly on a kid because he dropped one pass. That being said, to say that that play was a pivotal point in the entire season last year is almost an understatement.

Coming into that game, this team was rolling in a way that I had never witnessed before. They had methodically destroyed each of their previous opponents, including a road dismantling of a previously highly regarded Michigan State team.

Against a tough Purdue team, without Mo, they struggled without their best player, on the road against the eventual West champions. Then, they slowly began to re-establish themselves, despite the fact that Mo's absence (and CrAB's, for that matter) meant they were playing well outside their usual smash-mouth, drain-the-clock comfort zone. Their super-senior sixth year leader/QB lead them on a long, impressive drive as the teams neared half-time, and that oh-so-crucial pass would have tied the score and completely shifted momentum in the Gophers' favor. On that drive, they looked as though they had once again found the dominating formula from the previous games that season, and they had accomplished that feat with Mo Ibrahim on the sideline.

Had the kid actually caught that pass, I think there is a real chance the Gophers win that game, and the 2022 season would have possibly transformed from a solid 9-4 showing to something truly memorable.

But... we'll never know.

Last edited:

We were stuffing Purdue's offense at that point. After the pick, we had them in something like 3rd and 7. We stopped them short but someone hit the Purdue guy way late out of bounds. I think it was Oliver. We'd have gotten the ball right back in good field position. Gawd, that play sucked.

That whole game was a shit show!

Coming into that game, this team was rolling in a way that I had never witnessed before. They had methodically destroyed each of their previous opponents, including a road dismantling of a previously highly regarded Michigan State team.
Not that they weren't rolling, they were of course, but the first three teams were tomato cans, and what we didn't realize at the time was that MSU was barely a shadow of the team they were the year before. Certainly at that point in the season.

Top Bottom