Dylan Wright no longer with team

Last year we wish we could’ve counted on him. At least now we know we can’t count on him
Last year we wish we could’ve always counted on him.
This year we still hope we can

Seems to be that he's coming back maybe... From what I saw he followed some Minnesota twitter accounts earlier today.

This WR group could be unreal this year

Why would he come back to be like 5 or 6 on the depth chart?

How much school is required to grad transfer! Maybe he needs to complete the spring semester?

If Wright puts 100% into every play whether the ball is going to him, another wr, or to the rb, the sky's the limit. He's had a lot of stuff happen to him that has affected his mental health, I surmise PJ is pretty knowledgeable about that stuff and we've seen he's super loyal to guys who are loyal to him. To my knowledge Wright has never blown up the team or staff publicly (please correct me if I'm wrong), so even if he's a bit of a head case he apparently hasn't done anything detrimental to the team in the fore or background that would prevent him coming back. I hope he does, he's one of those talents I legitimately want to see figure it out and succeed

IMHO, it is wise to stay with the team that he is familiar with and a college degree secured.

Tyler Johnson really blossomed in his final season.

An extra year of maturity in this program will help this young man get a shot at redemption for all that he has gone through.

If he isn’t graduating he would have to sit out a year to transfer

If Wright puts 100% into every play whether the ball is going to him, another wr, or to the rb, the sky's the limit. He's had a lot of stuff happen to him that has affected his mental health, I surmise PJ is pretty knowledgeable about that stuff and we've seen he's super loyal to guys who are loyal to him. To my knowledge Wright has never blown up the team or staff publicly (please correct me if I'm wrong), so even if he's a bit of a head case he apparently hasn't done anything detrimental to the team in the fore or background that would prevent him coming back. I hope he does, he's one of those talents I legitimately want to see figure it out and succeed
He has all the physical tools to be a #1 WR. Best case for everyone would be Wright coming back and finally putting it all together to become the player it seems like he could/should be.

The good news is that regardless of what happens with Wright we should be in pretty good shape at the WR position with the return of CRAB and the transfers to go along with the other returning players. But if he can finally tap into this upside it would make our WR group really strong and give Athan another great weapon to go to.

I've been critical of his play in the past, but I'm not going to spend any more time ripping on a kid who took a chance to move hundreds of miles away to play for this program, even if it didn't work out as expected. DW did some good things while he was here, and has been through a lot of adversity. He may have had some off field drama, but he has never publicly trashed the university or program like others have. I hope he finds what he needs in football and in life, and is successful. Thanks for everything Dylan.

EDIT: I should also add on, as kg pointed out below me, he played a huge role in two Axe victories. That deserves credit in itself.
Classy - well said.

Maybe he will be higher than 5/6, I think he will be - plus our best deep threat - but his position ranking was “literally explained to me” 🤷‍♂️
If Crab is healthy I'd put Wright at #5...unless he can figure some things out. If he figures it out he could be top 2. But at this stage of his career I think we know what his skill set, strengths, and weaknesses are. That said, I'd love to have him on the team. Never hurts to have depth.

If Crab is healthy I'd put Wright at #5...unless he can figure some things out. If he figures it out he could be top 2. But at this stage of his career I think we know what his skill set, strengths, and weaknesses are. That said, I'd love to have him on the team. Never hurts to have depth.
To me, elevating two transfers who have never taken a snap here or at the B1G level above him seems to be a mistake Gopher fans have done too many times. I am not some huge DW fan, but I see his potential and I see a position group that has needed every ounce of help they can get the last few years. I hope he is back on the team as I think it gives the Gophers a better chance to win. I don't think the season is a loss if he isn't.

I think he would come in at 3/4 for WRs, 5 overall. Overall, a healthy Crab and Jackson are 1/2, BSF is #3. IMHO.

To me, elevating two transfers who have never taken a snap here or at the B1G level above him seems to be a mistake Gopher fans have done too many times. I am not some huge DW fan, but I see his potential and I see a position group that has needed every ounce of help they can get the last few years. I hope he is back on the team as I think it gives the Gophers a better chance to win. I don't think the season is a loss if he isn't.
Sure it's a guess to elevate the two transfers, but based on their past production and what I've seen from Wright, that's my guess of how they would fall at season's-end on our roster. I've never been a huge fan of Wright though so I'm sure that factors in.

Here's what he can do when he put's his mind to it - unstoppable.

Why would he come back to be like 5 or 6 on the depth chart?
He'll be 2 or 3. His ability is off the chart. Maybe some other issues (his life hasn't been easy), but he's the most physically impressive receiver we have (or hope we have, I guess I should say, as he is still in the portal). And I believe Dylan is very determined. Add him back into the group PJ and Harbaugh already have on the spring roster, and I believe we will have one of the deeper and talented receiver corps in the B1G, with some real diversity of styles and strengths. If the newly-configured OL that can protect AK8, this could be a very different offense than the past few years. Specifically, more explosive plays. If Dylan is back, we'll be taking the top off of some defenses this year.

Last edited:

I think we’ve underestimated the transfers since Fleck has been here. Seems like the majority have ended up playing major roles whether they come from lower levels or not.

I mean we are all just guessing but based on what Wright has been so far in his time here I don't think putting the transfers ahead of him is a stretch.

The good news is that if he is in fact coming back it doesn't really matter where any of us rank him. It will be on him to earn his spot in what looks to be a deeper receiver group than the one he left. We can all see the talent and athletic ability, just have to hope he can finally put it all together....if he is actually coming back.

Nice to not be counting on Wright. Yes ability is great, but he's proven it's very difficult for him to keep it together mentally.

He can be the Wild Card 4/5 Receiver.

Sure it's a guess to elevate the two transfers, but based on their past production and what I've seen from Wright, that's my guess of how they would fall at season's-end on our roster. I've never been a huge fan of Wright though so I'm sure that factors in.
Maybe the two transfers will light a fire in him and get it all together. He may be a huge surprise.

Well, at one point in time Wright himself was a transfer to our program who had never played a B1G snap, and he certainly didn't set the world on fire at his previous school. Minnesota — and Fleck — gave him every opportunity here. The fact that he has lots of potential is beyond argument. To date, the actual production has been disappointing.

I'd love to see him return to the team, though. Maybe a little time away was of benefit for him. Hopefully he used it to reflect, reevaluate, and grow.

Last edited:

It’s crazy - I forgot how much he did in that game… He literally could be a non factor and I think our team will be really good… but he could also hypothetically be our #1 receiver… he has that much raw talent. I think Daniel Jackson puts up 1,200 and 8 this year, CRAB if healthy goes for 800 and 6… I don’t expect Wright to exceed either of those stat lines, but if he were to put it all together… he has the talent to put up 1,500 and 12. That’s the allure… what could be. Kind of like Buxton - if he ever played 150 games in the field… man that’d be a beautiful thing.

I’ll always remember the last play on that video. Down 14 late in the 4th, we had some momentum when Wright makes a nice catch and then the Ohio State CB lays what I think is an illegal helmet to helmet hit. Wright looks like he gets knocked out, drops the ball and Ohio State recovers. It should have been a targeting call with Minnesota retaining possession at the spot plus 15 yards. We probably wouldn’t have won, but that play effectively ended the game.

I’ll always remember the last play on that video. Down 14 late in the 4th, we had some momentum when Wright makes a nice catch and then the Ohio State CB lays what I think is an illegal helmet to helmet hit. Wright looks like he gets knocked out, drops the ball and Ohio State recovers. It should have been a targeting call with Minnesota retaining possession at the spot plus 15 yards. We probably wouldn’t have won, but that play effectively ended the game.
I think that was MBS, not Wright.

It’s crazy - I forgot how much he did in that game… He literally could be a non factor and I think our team will be really good… but he could also hypothetically be our #1 receiver… he has that much raw talent. I think Daniel Jackson puts up 1,200 and 8 this year, CRAB if healthy goes for 800 and 6… I don’t expect Wright to exceed either of those stat lines, but if he were to put it all together… he has the talent to put up 1,500 and 12. That’s the allure… what could be. Kind of like Buxton - if he ever played 150 games in the field… man that’d be a beautiful thing.
I think Spencer and DJack both have a shot of going > 1000 this season. Crooms/BSF/CRAB all could be in the 500-600 range.

Top Bottom