Dyami Starks to Columbia

Good for him. As a former Greyhound, always happy to see current students do well. My gosh, can't beat an almost free Ivy League education while playing some decent hoops. Historically, some decent BB with Princeton, Penn and Cornell.

Duluth East has had a pretty good run of individual talent, first Rickert, then Cory Johnson, now Starks and believe it or not, they have another superstar youngster who will be a sophomore this year and will get Big Time recruiting attention.

Duluth East has had a pretty good run of individual talent, first Rickert, then Cory Johnson, now Starks and believe it or not, they have another superstar youngster who will be a sophomore this year and will get Big Time recruiting attention.

What's the youngster's name?

Thanks for posting that! You cannot go wrong going to the Ivy League. To get a free education like that, and get to play hoops - that's pretty incredible. Congrats to Dyami, I love to see MN kids do well!

Ivy League

Ivy League schools do not offer athletic scholarships. They do offer academic scholarships.

While the Ivy League doesn't offer athletic scholarships, they do magically offer near free rides to deserving student-athletes.

Ivy League schools do not offer athletic scholarships. They do offer academic scholarships.

Sorry - I meant an academic scholarship...because at this point, we know they make everything work out just fine for these kids.

All Ivy League aid is need based (FAFSA). They do not offer athletic or academic aid per conference rules.

I am a 57yr old U of M grad (aero engr '74) that has dealt with both Dartmouth and Cornell financial aid departments this summer.

I am a 57yr old U of M grad (aero engr '74) that has dealt with both Dartmouth and Cornell financial aid departments this summer.

Ok - let's just say any 17 year old athletically talented kid that the Ivy Leagues have recruited, that I have talked to, have told me cost is pretty much taken care. Best of luck to you though!

Those were tough years for AeroE's with Apollo program done. I am Industrial Engr '74 (Purdue). Tough on us back then, too.

Going to leave school with an Ivy League education and having spent four years in NYC baby!! He's going to have a lot of fun, congrats to him and his family.

Actually the Ivy League schools offer generous financail aid in gerneral because of their large endowments.
A Free ride if under 70k a year and partials for income up to 180k a year. Although their tuition and fees are out of
this world their financial packages are generous. Having just completed the process as my daughter is a first year
student at Cornell.

Athletic scholarship vs. "scholarship"

I don't even think it matters, really what they call it. A friend of mine went to Columbia because he was a great wrestler....3 time state champ. He was a very good student (top 10% of class) but there's no chance he's getting into Columbia if he weren't a stud athlete. He never paid a dime. Another guy from my school went to Princeton to play football....same thing.

Attention, Gopher Lady...

I know an all-state offensive lineman who who was an outstanding student in HS. He opted for juco because D-I schools overlooked him. He became a juco academic all-American and an all-conference performer in the best juco conference in America. After three semesters, he was offered a scholarship to play football at Dartmouth. Even with the financial aid, the bill to his parents would have been over $4,000 per year. This occurred two years ago. He'll garduate from Oklahoma State in May.

I think if you told any kid/parent in this day and age that he would leave college with a 4 year degree and his total debt would be $8000 (or $16,000 over four years), most would leap at that offer. That we're talking about an Ivy League school granting that diploma makes me wonder what your point is. Take a look at the tuition of any four year college these days; unless you're getting a free ride or a lot of it taken care of, $4000 debt per year is a great bargain.

Attention, Gopher Lady...

I know an all-state offensive lineman who who was an outstanding student in HS. He opted for juco because D-I schools overlooked him. He became a juco academic all-American and an all-conference performer in the best juco conference in America. After three semesters, he was offered a scholarship to play football at Dartmouth. Even with the financial aid, the bill to his parents would have been over $4,000 per year. This occurred two years ago. He'll garduate from Oklahoma State in May.

Considering Dartmouth is $49,974/year (2009, I'm guessing it was 45,000 2 years ago), paying $4,000/year is almost a full ride. If I were him, take out the $8000 in loans, use your Ivy league connections, and pay your loan back when you get a good job.

If he didn't play football, do you think his academics and financial background would have gotten 40k+ paid for? I doubt it.

CH - I just read your reply after I typed this...great minds, my friend. :)

Duluth East is very good. But none of their key players, including Starks, is from the East attendance area. I saw a funny acronym(?) on a t-shirt at a b-ball game last year:

Entire
Area
Select
Team

do you think his academics and financial background would have gotten 40k+ paid for? I doubt it.

Actually, I think it would--if he could have gotten admitted. The odds of him getting admitted, even if he is a very good student (I have no info on his academic ability one way or another), without the football would be quite small. But if they go outside their normal aid guidelines for a jock, and are caught, they're in big trouble with the conference. They are, however, allowed to "bend" their already flexible admittance guidelines for a jock.

Top Bottom