Dunlap enters transfer portal

For example, watch this:

“A day after entering the transfer portal, Dunlap has withdrawn his name and will be staying at Minnesota.

Whhhhoooooooaaaaaaaaaaa!!! All that extra effort!

I presented a valid case where “I withdrew my name from the portal” does not mean he’s staying.

How hard would it have been to use precise language?
For those who’ve followed sports for a while it’s not ambiguous at all. It’s well known what ‘withdrawal’ means. Otherwise, it would have said where he transferred to.

For those who’ve followed sports for a while it’s not ambiguous at all. It’s well known what ‘withdrawal’ means. Otherwise, it would have said where he transferred to.
Unless ... they don’t know. Ie, all they know is his name isn’t in the portal anymore.

Two reasons I can think of for why that would be.

Hopefully, the reason is he decided not to leave.

Unless ... they don’t know. Ie, all they know is his name isn’t in the portal anymore.

Two reasons I can think of for why that would be.

Hopefully, the reason is he decided not to leave.
It simply doesn’t work that way. But ok...

Wow - just seeing that it's looking like he's coming back. This is great.

These last few months have been mentally tough for everyone. Obviously, that teenage to young adult age group will have the toughest time with stuff like this. I live in a smallish town and the local high school lost 3 kids during lockdown...very sad. I really can't relate to what their going through. Most of us never had to deal with anything like this.

Wow - just seeing that it's looking like he's coming back. This is great.

These last few months have been mentally tough for everyone. Obviously, that teenage to young adult age group will have the toughest time with stuff like this. I live in a smallish town and the local high school lost 3 kids during lockdown...very sad. I really can't relate to what their going through. Most of us never had to deal with anything like this.

It's great to hear!

This is what I meant about him going through a lot. Not about inside knowledge. I don't have one.

IMHO, the Gophers Football Team and the way the coaches and staff treat them is the closest to a family the players have.

Leaving for another team and conference is full of uncertainty.

P
I’m glad he’s returning. Maybe a long talk with PJ convinced him to stay. If he is going through some things, he’s better off sticking with an established support system.
the real question is: Did that talk with PJ discuss free pizza whenever you desire Curtis. 🙃

For kids who love playing football, being denied this passion had to be tough. When you are part of a program, a school and a coaching culture in order to play football and that is taken from you it has to be difficult. Dunlap is someone who could make a career of out of this. I can't imagine the difficulties these students have gone through being denied to live into something they are passionate about. If I was denied my ability to do my job, while others closer to home were able to do the job, I would consider moving closer to home as well. 1.) to be closer to home 2.) to do that which I love.

I am hoping all this just means football is coming back sooner rather than later.

For kids who love playing football, being denied this passion had to be tough. When you are part of a program, a school and a coaching culture in order to play football and that is taken from you it has to be difficult. Dunlap is someone who could make a career of out of this. I can't imagine the difficulties these students have gone through being denied to live into something they are passionate about. If I was denied my ability to do my job, while others closer to home were able to do the job, I would consider moving closer to home as well. 1.) to be closer to home 2.) to do that which I love.

I am hoping all this just means football is coming back sooner rather than later.
Very, very well said. It's shocking how this seems to escape some people. Everything they've worked for being ripped away from them and for seemingly very little reason. The mental carnage and devastation will last much longer than this season

Technically, Mpls does have a point.
Simply because a player withdraws from the transfer portal, that in and of itself does not necessarily mean that he plans to play FB at MN.

he could theoretically stay at MN and not play FB. or transfer to another school and not play FB.

All we know for sure is that a player had questions or concerns that were serious enough to prompt him to place his name into the transfer portal.

Then something (we don't know what) happened, and he withdrew his name from the portal.

Change of mind? Second thoughts? don't know.

When the Gophers play another football game, if Dunlap is on the field in uniform, then he's playing for the Gophers.

Given how crazy everything is these days, nothing is guaranteed and nothing is certain.

Technically, Mpls does have a point.
Simply because a player withdraws from the transfer portal, that in and of itself does not necessarily mean that he plans to play FB at MN.

he could theoretically stay at MN and not play FB. or transfer to another school and not play FB.

All we know for sure is that a player had questions or concerns that were serious enough to prompt him to place his name into the transfer portal.

Then something (we don't know what) happened, and he withdrew his name from the portal.

Change of mind? Second thoughts? don't know.

When the Gophers play another football game, if Dunlap is on the field in uniform, then he's playing for the Gophers.

Given how crazy everything is these days, nothing is guaranteed and nothing is certain.
I would settle for a tweet from Dunlap himself, explaining the situation. He probably wants to, but I’m making a wild guess that he has been advised to hold off on that for now.

I would settle for a tweet from Dunlap himself, explaining the situation. He probably wants to, but I’m making a wild guess that he has been advised to hold off on that for now.
The 247Sports article title literally says "Curtis Dunlap withdraws from portal, will return to Gophers". That seems pretty clear to me.

The 247Sports article title literally says "Curtis Dunlap withdraws from portal, will return to Gophers". That seems pretty clear to me.
And hopefully it is correct. Either no one wants to comment on the record about it, and want the fact that he did put his name in to just go away, or ... they didn't even both to ask for a comment from Fleck, Dunlap, or anyone else.

And hopefully it is correct. Either no one wants to comment on the record about it, and want the fact that he did put his name in to just go away, or ... they didn't even both to ask for a comment from Fleck, Dunlap, or anyone else.

That horse has been dead since last night.

We’ll see if he even plays much this year (assuming a fall, winter, or spring season).

Some idiot on KFAN had Burns on & didn;t ask one question about this.

Does KFAN ever ask anything but surface level stuff about the Gopher?

I haven't listened in a while but Gophers always seem like an afterthought / having one knowledgeable person really doesn't help as nobody else knows what he's talking about....

On the other hand if we can talk glowingly about some guy in Vikings training camp and how much grass is on his jersey ... who gets cut and you never hear about him again....

Burns probably doesn’t want to talk about it, because there are still a lot of unanswered questions that he doesn’t have answers for.

A college kid owes a fan no clarity on his life choices I would argue
Of course not. But he did take the time to publish a lengthy tweet on why he was leaving. No demands from me. Just assuming he wants to clarify for his followers.

I feel for Curtis Dunlap and all the kids going to college today. It does not matter what race or nationality. Many must be going through a lot. The tweet about the suicide prevention hotline is very concerning.

Suicide threat is very real especially with young people. The pandemic, the lock down, the social unrest, and the state of the economy carry a huge burden.

It is particularly tough for African American kids.

OT: How did the country become so angry and divided? It seems like we have lost any sense of civility and civil decency in government and congress. The political courage to compromise for the betterment of the country (not for an agenda of any particular party) is lost among our congressional leaders. It seems that some leaders are more interested in finding blame than solutions.

I pray for my kids, grand kids, and for Mrs. H every night. Mrs. H is not doing very well.

I feel for Curtis Dunlap and all the kids going to college today. It does not matter what race or nationality. Many must be going through a lot. The tweet about the suicide prevention hotline is very concerning.

Suicide threat is very real especially with young people. The pandemic, the lock down, the social unrest, and the state of the economy carry a huge burden.

OT: How did the country become so angry and divided? It seems like we have lost any sense of civility and civil decency in government and congress. The political courage to compromise for the betterment of the country (not for an agenda of any particular party) is lost among our congressional leaders. It seems that some leaders are more interested in finding blame than solutions.

I pray for my kids, grand kids, and for Mrs. H every night. Mrs. H is not doing very well.
My thoughts are with you and Mrs. H.

Very, very well said. It's shocking how this seems to escape some people. Everything they've worked for being ripped away from them and for seemingly very little reason. The mental carnage and devastation will last much longer than this season
If you really think that it is for very little reason, then that is your lack of understanding of the severity of the situation. Football is a very important part of most of the players life, but it is not the only thing that have been working on during their life. Contracting Covid-19 and then having permanent heart or lung damage is a more certain way of having your dream ripped away.

This will pass. You make it seem like the NFL will stop playing football next year and will not have any needs for a new incoming lineman. These organizations are resourceful and they will find a way to fill their needs even if it is not the way you think it should be.

Don't be so naive.
The NFL didn't play any preseason games this year, was that in your plans of how it should be?
The NBA is in a bubble in and does daily testing, was that in your plans of how it should be?
etc, etc.... The point is everyone will figure out how to get what they need done even if it doesn't fit your plans of how it should be?

Sorry Hungman. I forgot about the better half of the family having health issues. You had mentioned this before. Peace to you to say the right things to your wife as you go through this.

Unfortunately it's a consequence of our 2 party system and that, for congressional races at least as far as I can tell, moderates are more willing to vote for a candidate that is farther left/right than their political views and the reverse is less true. Due to that, the two parties have drifted away from center.

Unfortunately, due to the way our voting system is set up, it's impossible for other parties to really get started and win. Since most people will avoid voting for a third party that represents them better if they know there is no chance that person wins.

I am left leaning, but the example I know of this is AOC and Biden. In pretty much any other country they would be in different political parties as they hold wildly different views. I'm sure there is a similar situation in the republican party with moderate Republicans and far-right Republicans.

In reality, if we had a voting system that supported it we would likely have at least 4 political parties, and politicians would be forced to compromise because (likely) no one party would hold enough seats to get anything done alone.

Top Bottom