Does anyone still think the other conferences will cancel the season?

SEC, B12, and ACC will play the season out no matter what. Will be interesting to say the least (could care less about the actual football).

If players out sick/quarantined starts affecting outcomes and games it will turn into a circus that no one will care about.

Do I think that they will cancel?

No. Nor do I think they should. ...Still trying to decide which team to "adopt" this season. Thinking UNC.

I hope Vandy or some school with no shot to win the SEC trots out a bunch of guys with Covid versus bama to show them what’s what. This is all so bizarre

At this point the SEC/ACC shaming from social cowards like MPLS has grown old and tired, and the B1G is the league taking on the much larger risk of failure. Having a spine would have boded well initially for the B1G who might be forced to grow one by thanksgiving.

Regarding the OP, change "think" to "hope" and the answer is a resounding yes.

The narrative of the other conferences is that football players are safer if the football season goes on. They have a more disciplined life (practice, prep, etc.), better facilities to care for them (medical staff, tutors, etc.) and more. While some of those things continue with or without a season, the narrative is still compelling. We care enough for our football players to let them do what they love so they have the incentive to stay healthy. It is hard to argue that even if some or a lot get sick that having a season was still safer than not.

The narrative of the other conferences is that football players are safer if the football season goes on. They have a more disciplined life (practice, prep, etc.), better facilities to care for them (medical staff, tutors, etc.) and more. While some of those things continue with or without a season, the narrative is still compelling. We care enough for our football players to let them do what they love so they have the incentive to stay healthy. It is hard to argue that even if some or a lot get sick that having a season was still safer than not.

I think I understand what you are saying and I think I agree, I think.

I hope Vandy or some school with no shot to win the SEC trots out a bunch of guys with Covid versus bama to show them what’s what. This is all so bizarre

They are testing fairly frequently, at least three times per week including the day before a game which suggests the mathematical odds of a player being in the ~48 hr window of being pre-symptomatic (+) and infectious but testing (-) are fairly low. The odds of pre-symptomatic transmission are further lowered by playing outdoors in what are often breezy conditions. I wonder if they will be utilizing face shields for the linemen who will be in closer contact for longer cumulative periods of time.

The biggest threat to a team like Alabama, outside of potential medical complications, will be a team wide outbreak forcing forfeiture.

I think I understand what you are saying and I think I agree, I think.
No hand-waiving will ever be able to show that practicing football is safer than quarantining at home. If the player won't be safe while at home, that is his problem.

It was great seeing college football, with fans in the stands, on TV last night.
It was also great for me to attend a HS game on Friday night. There's no doubt that for many in America, life revolves around football in the Fall and doesn't feel the same without it. I'm still not sure how I feel about games being played and fans being in the stands regardless of precautions -- I'm truly torn on it -- but it sure "feels" good in the moment. The bottom line is that we can all argue until we're blue in the face, but only time will tell what the long-term consequences are -- both from the decision(s) to cancel and to play on. Reasoned arguments can be made right now, but any firm judgement prior to 5 or 10 years from now is almost meaningless and meant only to make the person arguing feel better about their own position.

It was also great for me to attend a HS game on Friday night. There's no doubt that for many in America, life revolves around football in the Fall and doesn't feel the same without it. I'm still not sure how I feel about games being played and fans being in the stands regardless of precautions -- I'm truly torn on it -- but it sure "feels" good in the moment. The bottom line is that we can all argue until we're blue in the face, but only time will tell what the long-term consequences are -- both from the decision(s) to cancel and to play on. Reasoned arguments can be made right now, but any firm judgement prior to 5 or 10 years from now is almost meaningless and meant only to make the person arguing feel better about their own position.
So, you don't believe in the concept of regret?

I don’t think they’re safer, but they aren’t less safe. And they’re certainly better off when you include non safety factors

It was great seeing college football, with fans in the stands, on TV last night.
I watched part of it, not a lot because the NHL playoffs were on and my team was playing, but I thought the short clips of the players talking about what college football means to them was absolutely fantastic, just awesome; reinforcing what an important part of their lives it is, particularly for people who know they will never sniff the NFL. It's tough to watch this being ripped away from players at other schools that are not playing

I watched my neighbor’s grandson play Friday night. What a great evening to finally watch some football. Very few masks (in our row only the 4 of us). Players all had shields attached to their helmets but no masks, coaches had masks, cheerleaders no masks, band no masks. Each player had his own water supply. Some social distancing at first but “late comers” crowded the stands. Full concession stand-no masks.

Like I've said before, for these southern, proud, football powerhouse schools and their respective states that back them, this is the psychology at play here, at this point:

having to cancel the season, is tantamount to admitting they'll lose the election.

That's the psychology of it, at this point.

They'll probably push on, even if people die.
how is canceling a football season related to admitting 'they'll' lose the election...? How 'effed-up is your logic?

The options aren't play football and have players quarantine inside until there is a vaccine, they're play football or don't play football and have the players do what they're going to do. Realistically, players are going to hang out with friends, party, go to bars, etc. instead of quarantining.

For schools playing football, there is a ton more motivation to not get infected because getting infected means not playing, potentially spreading it to your team and having your team cancel games, and potentially being the guy to bring down college football for the year. To most players that's going to be way more significant than the incredibly slim odds of death or hospitalization.

The options aren't play football and have players quarantine inside until there is a vaccine, they're play football or don't play football and have the players do what they're going to do. Realistically, players are going to hang out with friends, party, go to bars, etc. instead of quarantining.

For schools playing football, there is a ton more motivation to not get infected because getting infected means not playing, potentially spreading it to your team and having your team cancel games, and potentially being the guy to bring down college football for the year. To most players that's going to be way more significant than the incredibly slim odds of death or hospitalization.
Whoa, WHOA, hey now, partner.... don't be going and throwing around logic and common sense in this place. You're talking as though some people are capable of being accountable for their actions or something. Pfft. Ridiculous

Its going to be now and later. Really hope they have the players best interests at heart. I have my doubts.

They can opt out, if they want, and not even lose a year of eligibility. These are grown men, accepting of the risks.

WTF, they are just gladiators to give you amusement.
Or, I guess another possibility is that I played 4 years of college football and know what it means to these young men. What's being done to them is really shitty and awful and almost purely political quite honestly. They are pawns in this grand scheme

That CDC report that came out is crazy. Only 6% of all deaths related to Covid sighted Covid as the lone reason of death....On average there were 2.6 other underlying issues plus Covid that caused the other 94% of deaths. This entire shutdown has been a complete farce!

Top Bottom