Does anyone still think the other conferences will cancel the season?

You're willing to bet your next paycheck, in August, about what will happen in Oct? :rolleyes:

You're an idiot, if so.

Cancel... or just have a mess on their hands?

Cancelling is a choice, that's not easily predictable.

On the other hand complications due to COVID, yeah that's going to happen.

We've already had a game pushed back two weeks due to test results. Another pushed back a month...

A couple team has had whole position groups quarantined...

If that keeps up you're going to either have stupid games where a QB or everyone doesn't want to play because they'll get obliterated playing behind an OL of a bunch of backup DL players because the OL is out sick. Or a lot of games never played at all... and an SEC champ who is 3-1 and who played opponents who are all 0-1 (maybe).

And that doesn't account for the potental for coaches to hide things / push players to play who shouldn't and etc...

Last edited:

Just saw an article that says the B1G is now looking at starting up at Thanksgiving...

We've already had a game pushed back two weeks due to test results. Another pushed back a month...

Like I've said before, for these southern, proud, football powerhouse schools and their respective states that back them, this is the psychology at play here, at this point:

having to cancel the season, is tantamount to admitting they'll lose the election.

That's the psychology of it, at this point.

They'll probably push on, even if people die.

Certainly some here are hoping they cancel.

No doubt when big10 canceled, big10 was hoping other conferences would follow suit. Big10 was wrong.

Last edited:

In poker, the term is "pot committed".

I don't think they went this far to pull the plug now. Contingencies have been planned for. There will be positive tests, sometimes in bigger groups, but that won't derail the concept of playing a season for the most part. It will take a unified front for each of those leagues because there will be heavy political pressure constantly, even with just an occasional positive test; too many people, unfortunately, would really like to see them fail. I expect the prevailing sentiment on social media to be overwhelming to stop the games.

No, I do not believe they will for a variety of reasons. You can argue whether they should or not until you’re blue in the face, but per the OP, I would be surprised if they cancel.

The pros seem to be handling it relatively well. A few MLB teams have less games played than others, and unless they delay the playoffs to allow makeups, they’ll finish with less. I honestly don’t have a problem with that. We’re in a weird situation. Some teams may not play all their games (i.e. if your entire OL group tests positive, you’re not playing). That may cost a team or two “fairness” in that they had less games played, and thus less chance of marking the playoff. But the season can still be successful even if that were to occur. Not everything in life is binary. Likewise, if they start and determine it’s not working, then shut it down. That doesn’t necessarily make the decision you made in July a bad one, it just means this thing is constantly changing and you need to adapt as best you can.

No one is operating under the assumption there won’t be cases. At this point there is no way the cancel the whole season. They know the risks and the problems they will have an will deal with them. Don’t know if it will go well, but I hope it does

You're willing to bet your next paycheck, in August, about what will happen in Oct? :rolleyes:

You're an idiot, if so.

People have been doing this a lot these days! It's either Tesla stock or whether the ACC will cease play.

I don't think conferences will cancel play outright but I do think the schedule will be dotted with asterisk games from huge player absences, and more than a few fully canceled games that won't be made up.

You're an idiot, if so.

I ask a question and give my answer... you go into betting my paycheck andassuming my response and then calling me an idiot for your assumed response. Try chilling out - high stress may be more dangerous to you then the Rona.

I just wanted to see the general sentiment of CFB fans.

I ask a question and give my answer... you go into betting my paycheck andassuming my response and then calling me an idiot for your assumed response. Try chilling out - high stress may be more dangerous to you then the Rona.

I just wanted to see the general sentiment of CFB fans.
You didn’t phrase/tone the title as if you were just curious and being objective. You have a hard bias, that has been clearly communicated and known. You were putting down those who might dare question that their seasons will succeed. “Does anyone really think that ????”

I don't think conferences will cancel play outright but I do think the schedule will be dotted with asterisk games from huge player absences, and more than a few fully canceled games that won't be made up.
I'm sure the players in those conferences would take that worst case scenario a million times over what is going on the B1G and Pac 12. At least they're being given a chance to play, to compete with their teammates, to compete for their schools. Scheduling 10 or so and only being able to get in 8? If I'm a player this fall, I take that every day of the week, twice on Saturday afternoon

I bet $20 with a friend that the SEC will not finish their season. I only hope it happens to not lose my $20. I want to watch some college football and the SEC has the fortitude to go for it so god bless em. Its the wrong move for public health in my mind but if they are successful then we will be watching the gophers play thanksgiving weekend.

I bet $20 with a friend that the SEC will not finish their season. I only hope it happens to not lose my $20. I want to watch some college football and the SEC has the fortitude to go for it so god bless em. Its the wrong move for public health in my mind but if they are successful then we will be watching the gophers play thanksgiving weekend.
That will hopefully give multiple reasons to rejoice and celebrate in Nov (vaccines approved by FDA, and some other thing can’t remember ...)

Was talking to someone who said the SEC schools are basically creating their own bubbles. Telling players they must take all classes on-line, and stick to the football dorm and facilities.

IF they can manage to isolate their players from the student body, that does improve the odds of being able to play.

I suppose it just gets back to this: how far are schools willing to go to play football? And are the players OK with surrendering some of their freedom in return for the opportunity to play football?

(and are they making any provisions for the players social lives - i.e. women....? given we're talking about the SEC, the lizard portion of my brain envisions a pool of females who are made available to the players after going through a testing protocol......)

Was talking to someone who said the SEC schools are basically creating their own bubbles. Telling players they must take all classes on-line, and stick to the football dorm and facilities.

IF they can manage to isolate their players from the student body, that does improve the odds of being able to play.

I suppose it just gets back to this: how far are schools willing to go to play football? And are the players OK with surrendering some of their freedom in return for the opportunity to play football?

(and are they making any provisions for the players social lives - i.e. women....? given we're talking about the SEC, the lizard portion of my brain envisions a pool of females who are made available to the players after going through a testing protocol......)
I'm sure Rick Pitino can find some ladies for them....

If a Power 5 drops now it will be the ACC.

In poker, the term is "pot committed".

I don't think they went this far to pull the plug now. Contingencies have been planned for. There will be positive tests, sometimes in bigger groups, but that won't derail the concept of playing a season for the most part. It will take a unified front for each of those leagues because there will be heavy political pressure constantly, even with just an occasional positive test; too many people, unfortunately, would really like to see them fail. I expect the prevailing sentiment on social media to be overwhelming to stop the games.
100% correct.

You didn’t phrase/tone the title as if you were just curious and being objective. You have a hard bias, that has been clearly communicated and known. You were putting down those who might dare question that their seasons will succeed. “Does anyone really think that ????”

I believe the thread is titled “Does anyone still think the other conferences will cancel the season?“.

I was and remain curious, as I believe you and some others in here had taken the position that it was a matter of when (not if) they would cancel after the initial news. Please start just reading the words I type instead of assuming some far right wing lunatic angle must be in play because I disagree with you on some topics. Thank you!

They’re gonna be sneaking girls in, at the least, if not finding ways to sneak out.

As Dr. Ian Malcom put it: “life finds a way ....”

I believe the thread is titled “Does anyone still think the other conferences will cancel the season?“.

I was and remain curious, as I believe you and some others in here had taken the position that it was a matter of when (not if) they would cancel after the initial news. Please start just reading the words I type instead of assuming some far right wing lunatic angle must be in play because I disagree with you on some topics. Thank you!
An actual unbiased, neutral title would’ve been, for example:

“Poll: will SEC/ACC/Big XII cancel their seasons?”

If that keeps up you're going to either have stupid games where a QB or everyone doesn't want to play because they'll get obliterated playing behind an OL of a bunch of backup DL players because the OL is out sick. Or a lot of games never played at all... and an SEC champ who is 3-1 and who played opponents who are all 0-1 (maybe).

And that doesn't account for the potental for coaches to hide things / push players to play who shouldn't and etc...
I concur. It will get messy. Positive test results will be reported feverishly. These conferences will have to deal with the pubic outcry. So, in the end...it will be messy.
Side note, for what it's worth, I think it's still too early to pass judgement on Warren and the B1G's decision.

An actual unbiased, neutral title would’ve been, for example:

“Poll: will SEC/ACC/Big XII cancel their seasons?”

I will try to figure out how to do a poll next time... or better yet I’ll send you my question so that you can determine an unbiased wording to post the in a proper poll since I’m clearly not able to.

You might want to go get your meds refilled.

Top Bottom