Do you want Ben back for a fourth year?

Do you want Ben back for a fourth year?

• Yes, Ben deserves to return next season for Year 4.

Votes: 129 59.4%
  • No, we need a new coach for next season.

Votes: 88 40.6%

• Total voters
I hate to say it but I believe we have overestimated our own talent.

Payne- who I like has no offensive game outside of 2 feet. He needs to be able to develop range from 10 feet. I think he will but he's far from a star yet.
Garcia- a really, really good offensive player, is not physical, is not good defensively and does not see his teammates very well. He is who he is.
Christie- who is going to be a terrific player- is young, not strong, has a marginal handle and is at best an average defender at this point. Next year he will be better at all of these.
Hawkins- another guy I just love to watch- is 5-9 and a defensive mismatch for an opposing 6-2 PG. He is not a threat to drive and score.
Mitchell- gritty kid who is a good solid player but alongside Hawkins- a very small backcourt.
Fox- amazing kid, fantastic hustle, but can't shoot
Carrington- limited on offense but a nice defensive player
Ihnen- just too soft, even though he has talent.
JOJ- athletic as can be, can shoot, doesn't know where to be on the floor it seems

Bottom line: We just don't have any high end two way players. We made a whole lot more out of what we started with than Michigan State who is coached by a HOF coach.

We need to:
1. keep the core (at least players one through 5 above)
2. add a couple good rotation transfers ( big and a wing)
3. Hope Asuma is really good (I think he is)
Disagree on what Payne needs to do to improve. Rather than trying to get him proficient on a 12-foot jump shot I would much rather see him learn to use his tremendous strength before he gets the ball, establishing low post position for the entry pass.

He is too strong to stop near the basket. But he is getting most of his entry passes 12 feet out. That's where Garcia wants it because he is skilled enough with the ball to maneuver himself down low and score. Payne can't do it. He will get stripped on the dribble maneuver more often than not, or when doubled throw a pass into the bleachers.

Many have mentioned Ben should replace an assistant. If he does he should bring in a big man coach who can teach Payne to get low position to receive the pass. He is plenty strong enough to do that if he learns the technique.

If I had any confidence the admin could hire an experienced coach with a good pedigree, I’d say move on, but I don’t.

Don’t really want to start over again.

No, I don't want him back at this point. 3 years is enough time, especially in this era to put a respectable program together. Maybe if we just missed out on the tournament, I'd have a different tune, but we didn't even sniff it. The results simply don't suggest he should be back. We've "improved" to a fringe top 100 team. I mean just listen to how that sounds.
This. This team has one quad one win. One. It's only remotely impressive measured against the abject awfulness of year 1 and 2.

I don't expect it to happen, but I would like to move on. Odds are we will be firing Ben a year from now so I'd rather do it now. The window has already closed on Dutcher and this might be the last chance with Musselman and Medved as well.
I swear I read the Musselman's buyout is "only" a million dollars. Get it done.

Like others have said, you only cut ties if you already have someone established lined up to make a splash and step right in to supplement this roster.

Firing Ben, paying the buyout, and sitting through a 2-3 month search would absolutely have us starting back at square one.

Personally, I think there’s almost zero chance they make a move this offseason unless you have that no-brainer lined up.
A 2-3 MONTH coaching search? On what planet would that occur?

I hate to say it but I believe we have overestimated our own talent.

Payne- who I like has no offensive game outside of 2 feet. He needs to be able to develop range from 10 feet. I think he will but he's far from a star yet.
Garcia- a really, really good offensive player, is not physical, is not good defensively and does not see his teammates very well. He is who he is.
Christie- who is going to be a terrific player- is young, not strong, has a marginal handle and is at best an average defender at this point. Next year he will be better at all of these.
Hawkins- another guy I just love to watch- is 5-9 and a defensive mismatch for an opposing 6-2 PG. He is not a threat to drive and score.
Mitchell- gritty kid who is a good solid player but alongside Hawkins- a very small backcourt.
Fox- amazing kid, fantastic hustle, but can't shoot
Carrington- limited on offense but a nice defensive player
Ihnen- just too soft, even though he has talent.
JOJ- athletic as can be, can shoot, doesn't know where to be on the floor it seems

Bottom line: We just don't have any high end two way players. We made a whole lot more out of what we started with than Michigan State who is coached by a HOF coach.

We need to:
1. keep the core (at least players one through 5 above)
2. add a couple good rotation transfers ( big and a wing)
3. Hope Asuma is really good (I think he is)
I thought we wanted Garcia to leave?

if you want a new coach, who would really want it that would be better. not your fave but reality and who that would want it and is already an experienced HC and with a great track record. don't low ball it.
Medved. Craig Smith. Tinkle. Leon Rice. Many others. There are dozens of experienced coaches who would kill for a B1G job and have far better resumes than Ben Johnson did or does.

If I had any confidence the admin could hire an experienced coach with a good pedigree, I’d say move on, but I don’t.

Don’t really want to start over again.
This is the worst possible reason to keep Ben. Coyle isn't going anywhere and has many other solid hires. Whether it's now or a year from now, he's almost certain to be the one making the hire.

I don't expect it to happen, but I would like to move on. Odds are we will be firing Ben a year from now so I'd rather do it now. The window has already closed on Dutcher and this might be the last chance with Musselman and Medved as well.
Of course we will.

I think CBJ stays, I think that's dumb but alas here we are.

So assuming he stays I have a few issues.
1. He seems somewhere between stubborn and scared. Fire an assistant, change your offensive game plan, change your defense, sit a guy when he's playing awful SOMETHING! I'm sick of the scared puppy routine when the other team goes on their inevitable 12-0 run.
2. I assume again he's scared to lose games, so I can about imagine next NC schedule is the MIAC and NSIC so we can go 12-0.
3. Quit wasting scholarships! I get it we won't have 13 starting caliber guys but my lord we get 3-4 guys every year who shouldn't be on D1 rosters.

I think CBJ stays, I think that's dumb but alas here we are.

So assuming he stays I have a few issues.
1. He seems somewhere between stubborn and scared. Fire an assistant, change your offensive game plan, change your defense, sit a guy when he's playing awful SOMETHING! I'm sick of the scared puppy routine when the other team goes on their inevitable 12-0 run.
2. I assume again he's scared to lose games, so I can about imagine next NC schedule is the MIAC and NSIC so we can go 12-0.
3. Quit wasting scholarships! I get it we won't have 13 starting caliber guys but my lord we get 3-4 guys every year who shouldn't be on D1 rosters.
Can't blame number 2 on the coach. I heard the AD say that the problem is going to be that we will be so good that no good teams will be willing to schedule us

I think I just heard his name when you mentioned him a couple of years back. His resume is more than worthy of an interview. Texas Tech is a good ball club as well. In year 1 with that staff I believe.

Canadian college legend.

Don’t think he’d get looked at here if they move on from Ben now though.

...and in a very tight window to have a chance to hire Sprinkle or one of the other young can't-miss prospects that we'll kick ourselves later for not taking a run at now. Nate Oats is an example of someone who was a known commodity and a program like ours could've obtained at one point, but the ship has long sailed now.

Also, Garcia absolutely can grad transfer if he’s graduated. Doesnt matter if he has transferred twice before as those weren’t grad transfers. I’d be surprised if he did though.

Wow neck and neck as if this posting.

59 for Ben to stay
60 for Ben to leave

I thought it would be ~25/75 split respectively; since even me and my pom poms, are saying it’s time for a new coach.

If Musselman is available you have to grab him.

I'll say this, if Johnson gets a 4th year, Coyle's job should be on the line as well. New President coming in, hope she cares about sports. If Coyle brings Johnson back (which I expect he will) then he's endorsing the path Johnson is on. Fine. Coyle's on the line as well.

If Ben goes after next year, so should Coyle.

Go Gophers!!
+o4

I'm surprised about all this. He has made great strides since year. We had a recruit pull out late last summer due to NIL. I honestly thought it would be about 70-30 in favor of him coming back with mostly trolls being on the negative side. I look for good things next year if the whole team comes back.
I'm not that surprised. There is a 163 page thread titled "Ben Johnson is a Disaster" that has basically been pinned to the top of this forum for a year and a half. It's embarrassing.

Makes little sense to fire a neophyte coach after three years when the third year showed significant improvement. Hopefully the steep part of the learning curve is over and CBJ continues to improve the roster. Plus, in the non-illustrious, hardly notable history of Gopher basketball, whats another lost year if the team backtracks in 2024-25?

Makes little sense to fire a neophyte coach after three years when the third year showed significant improvement. Hopefully the steep part of the learning curve is over and CBJ continues to improve the roster. Plus, in the non-illustrious, hardly notable history of Gopher basketball, whats another lost year if the team backtracks in 2024-25?
There is something to this concept even if fans don't want to hear it. When you hire a first time head coach you have to expect there is going to be a learning curve that a much more experienced coach isn't going to have.

The trajectory of the program is going the right way in year 3 after 2 really rough years. The only way they pull the plug right now is if they are sure the program is going to backslide in a big way in year 4.

It will be on Johnson to keep things moving in the right direction. If he can't, then it would seem very likely that year 4 will be his final year as the head coach.

As frustrating as things have been, best case scenario for the program is still Johnson figuring it out and being successful here. I know there are many in here that have already concluded there is no way that can happen but the people in charge appear willing to be more patient and let things play out a little longer.

Wow neck and neck as if this posting.

59 for Ben to stay
60 for Ben to leave

I thought it would be ~25/75 split respectively; since even me and my pom poms, are saying it’s time for a new coach.
2027!

Top Bottom