Destiny PItts: Transfers to Texas A&M (All Things Suspension and Transfer Related)

Aside from what happened that got DP to this point, she was/is a leader and will be a leader in whatever she chooses to do in life. DP was the voice of the team and was a mentor to the younger kids especially Sara. Those two spent countless hours in the gym this past summer and fall, Destiny took her to elementary schools to met with kids, Destiny went to Stillwater girls bb games to watch Sara's younger sister play and after games she would shoot and play with some of the stillwater traveling kids ...they loved her, so let's remember we are talking about a student athlete.
DP may be remembered for this situation to many, but do realize this is a good kid, a really good kid that got caught up in an unfortunate set of circumstances that got to this point.
But please refrain from calling her names unless you really know this kid and you feel that strongly against her. Nobody on this board saw the hate mail Destiny received after the Ohio State game, yet she remained strong through that when many others would of wilted under the criticism/hate.
So bottom line wish her well, it just didn't work out for her here..
(I'm not related to her)

Just a guess...

The suspension wasn't simply because of body language during the NW game. The suspension was for that PLUS how she reacted to being benched for it (both on the court and in the locker room).

Again, just a guess.

I believe the reference was to the halftime of the Nebraska game.
I thought the issue surfaced during the Northwestern game. That was the game where she was benched for a significant amount of time and words were exchanged.

This is really disappointing. This incident aside, Destiny always seem like a great kid and great teammate. Really wish both parties could have worked through this.

I thought the issue surfaced during the Northwestern game. That was the game where she was benched for a significant amount of time and words were exchanged.

Yes the "body language" issue was during the Northwestern game; BUT the other reference was to an action that occurred as Lindsay and Destiny walked to the locker room for half time in Lincoln. I don't put much stock in it; but it did occur. Make of it what you will.

Pretty certain HIPPA might not fully agree with you. But who knows. An interesting conversation, though, for sure, about where the line gets drawn between coaching and demeaning. You seem to know a thing or two about that, though, anonymously calling a kid "rude," disrespectful," and "wrong."
It is not a HIPPA violation to discuss medical information unless you are a " covered entity ". This includes hospitals, health plans, doctors, clinics, nursing homes and pharmacies. That does not mean it is appropriate, professional or ethical it's just not a violation. This whole situation is difficult and I still hope there will be a positive outcome for the players and coaches.

I don’t like when people lie. The Bellos sitting out is now obviously related to the Pitts suspension. Whalen thought about it and flat out lied to the media. Why she felt the need to lie, I dunno, but I don’t like it. And it’s dumb to do so because you know the truth (from a credible source) would likely come out. It’s a social media world.
Why is this not being mentioned more on this thread? LW flat out lied and Im sure the Bello sisters could not have taken that lightly.

I'm sticking to the context of Pitts suspension. The animosity shown by Pitts and her subsequent benching and following suspension. Game and locker room context between player and coach. This is not a philosophical discussion about the overall right vs wrong in humanity.

Also: If you're a student and friend of any of the players - you might want to leave this forum. You may be a caring and intelligent person. But you may be too emotionally involved and lack objectivity.
More importantly: regardless of the conjecture of all of us fans - you should not make any information public here that any of the players, coach or university are trying to work through privately. That isn't ethical for any of the parties involved.
You all should leave then, because you guys are all Whalen worshippers. Minnesota girl through a d through..3 different levels. She clearly can't do any wrong with you guys. Just read some of the blind statements from you outsiders. At least friends and family have inside information.

Two sides to every story but Pitts was a great player who clearly had the respect and support of her teammates. The Bello sisters going up to bat for her is indicative and tells a lot IMO.

Not saying Pitts was an angel in how she handled the adversity, but clearly Whalen and co. botched this situation badly. Between this drama and the possibility of missing the NCAAs two years in a row given the amount of talent on the team, Whalen is not off to a good start. She needs to gain better control of this team and this program. She has the time and opportunity to turn this around, but I'm monitoring closely now..
How will you be monitoring the team ? Do you have season tickets or support the team in other ways ? You do not actually know all the details of the issue but are convinced Whalen botched the handling of the problem ? I saw Pitts turn and argue with Whalen @ the NW game when she was taken out for the second time for allowing Scheid take repeated uncontested 3's. I have no idea what occurred in the locker room, practices sessions and during individual meetings and neither do you. We will never have all the details and I trust the coaching staff will learn from this unfortunate ending. I wish the best for Destiny as she was a joy to watch the past 3 years.

Wishing Destiny the best, have not rewatched the NW game but did the Nebraska game. In that game I thought Destiny looked tired and did have her legs ”under” her in regards to shooting. I just hope this doesn’t turn into more transfers. I never thought the Gophers ever recovered from the mass exodus after the final 4 appearance.

Aside from what happened that got DP to this point, she was/is a leader and will be a leader in whatever she chooses to do in life. DP was the voice of the team and was a mentor to the younger kids especially Sara. Those two spent countless hours in the gym this past summer and fall, Destiny took her to elementary schools to met with kids, Destiny went to Stillwater girls bb games to watch Sara's younger sister play and after games she would shoot and play with some of the stillwater traveling kids ...they loved her, so let's remember we are talking about a student athlete.
DP may be remembered for this situation to many, but do realize this is a good kid, a really good kid that got caught up in an unfortunate set of circumstances that got to this point.
But please refrain from calling her names unless you really know this kid and you feel that strongly against her. Nobody on this board saw the hate mail Destiny received after the Ohio State game, yet she remained strong through that when many others would of wilted under the criticism/hate.
So bottom line wish her well, it just didn't work out for her here..
(I'm not related to her)
[/QUOT
I’m not disagreeing with what you’re saying. Destiny has a lot of great qualities and I wish her the best. But in the real world there are ups and downs in life. I can’t believe this disagreement between the coach and her could not be worked out. I get that sometimes a person disagrees with their boss but there are ways to work out your differences

I am sorry to see Pitts go. I am also not surprised Whalen was upset about some of Pitts' appearence on the court in the last 2 weeks or so. My wife and I had noticed how angry she appeared and it made the team seem less together on the court and everything more chaotic.

I hope both Whalen and Pitts learn from this and are better prepared not to let it come to this in the future. Both clearly could have done better and I wish both of them good fortune going forward.

What a tough situation all around. I suspect there is a lot of information not being provided. It is disappointing that Mx Pitts felt her best option was to quit. Unless there was physical and/or mental abuse being heaped upon her unjustly, I can see no great reason to quit on teammates.
Mx Pitts says no one had disciplined her before this point. That seems like a reflection of coaches who refused to correct wrong behavior. I can't imagine being competitive and not having a coach challenge you to be better.
If I got benched for a bad attitude, I would need to look inward and adjust my attitude so I could play. I wouldn't attempt to usurp the coaches position as decision maker.
Finally, I have never seen a situation escalate to this level for a person having a bad attitude on the bench. There is much more here than what is being said. Coach Whalen runs this program and calls the shots regardless of what any player thinks. She controls this program. If kids don't like following Coach Whalen's lead then step aside. Don't use social media to fight.
I suspect there are some young women who have just joined the GH to unleash emotions. Best if you all step away from this site, gather your emotions and find a quiet place to let your emotions go in a positive way. Coming here to keep fighting is a childish thing to do.
If Coach Whalen is wise, she will silently keep coaching the kids who choose to wear the maroon and gold. Move on. Let this unfortunate incident die a quick death, which will be over by the end of the weekend or sooner.

This Yahoo Article indicates Destiny Pitts' transfer decision and sheds light on the situation.

Destiny is the third women's BB transfer (following Delaynie Byrne, and Mercedes Staples) in Lindsay Whalen's one year tenure. I'm seeing a cultural clash with Lindsay's quintessential Minnesota Nice contributing to a communication breakdown.

You all should leave then, because you guys are all Whalen worshippers. Minnesota girl through a d through..3 different levels. She clearly can't do any wrong with you guys. Just read some of the blind statements from you outsiders. At least friends and family have inside information.

This comes off as a rational and intelligent response.

This Yahoo Article indicates Destiny Pitts' transfer decision and sheds light on the situation.

Destiny is the third women's BB transfer (following Delaynie Byrne, and Mercedes Staples) in Lindsay Whalen's one year tenure. I'm seeing a cultural clash with Lindsay's quintessential Minnesota Nice contributing to a communication breakdown.

Pretty sure Byrne and Staples are leaving due to current and incoming future talent was going to make it tougher to get playing time. Vastly different from Pitts departure.

This could not be explained better. All athletes in every sport should take it to heart.

I think Geno nails it pretty well as far as attitude. A coach is at a real disadvantage when it comes to letting people know what the situation is. They can't go into details while the athlete can get her or his version out. They also can get support from their friends via the social media and forums. Guessing this has been brewing for quite a while; Whalen had had enough; and may, or maybe not, have misjudged Pitts.

I have youtube TV now. I've tried reddit and FirstRowSports both do not seem to have it...
I have YouTube TV too which has btn so you can go to the website and sign up for BTN+ for an extra $10/month unless you buy a whole year at once you get a discount. No other way to get BTN+games unless you can pirate it somehow. If it cost more it would be more than I would be willing to pay.
here is the link to sign up: https://www.btnplus.com/packages

I'm thinking that perhaps the team felt that she was wrong for what she did. Felt bad that it blew up and she quit on the team. However the gals were close enough to her to support her for her future even though things weren't handled quite right due to immaturity or whatever.

Did LW lie? Depends on how you look at it. Perhaps she is saying Pitts did one thing and the sisters did another thing. Were related in someway yes, but exactly? No. Given that this was LW first blow up, I'm sure learned from it.

Players in all sports leave for various reasons. Fans constantly get upset with coaches. Parents are the absolute worst and perhaps Pitts parents were embarrass. I'm curious whether or not Pitt's parents were brought into this for discussion. Some parents will support the coach as they know their kid needs to grow up while other parents rag on the coaches no matter what the kid did.

This Pitts situation seems to have more under the surface than simply "body language" issues.
I was going to say, highly doubt any coach would ever suspend a player because they had bad body language for the first time.

Nice try. The fact that she was not honest and forthcoming about her poor behavior signals to me that it is a good thing she is leaving.

If other players feel strongly that she was done dirty, then I wouldn’t mind them going int he transfer portal too. Bad attitudes and scorn for the coaching staff is poison.

Better to cut it out and start over.

Top Bottom