Destiny PItts: Transfers to Texas A&M (All Things Suspension and Transfer Related)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

This should have its own thread since we've likely not heard the end of the story; and, perhaps, not even the beginning.

Before Sunday’s 74-71 loss at Illinois — the Big Ten’s last-place team entering the day — the Gophers announced leading scorer Destiny Pitts had been suspended for “conduct unbecoming a member of the team,” while Taiye and Kehinde Bello both missed the game after neither Gophers player traveled with the team to Champaign.

Not good is right. Not sure how long suspension go but I do hope we see all three on the court again in Gopher uniforms this season.

Difficult situation and I don’t believe we will ever get the full story. A poster already showed a tweet from a relative of Bello being highly critical . This drama seems to be escalating .

The article update:

Whalen had no further comment after Sunday’s game on how long Pitts’ suspension might last and when Taiye and Kehinde Bello would return to the court for a game. The Gophers next play Iowa (12-3, 3-1) on Thursday night in Minneapolis.

Whalen's hire looking to be a mistake.

I will not pretend that I understand fully what has transpired. However, having watched Whalen as a Gopher player, Team USA, Conn. Sun, and Lynx player it is clear that she played the game the right way and wants nothing more than to win. She probably saw a lot of things in those locker rooms and under those coaches. So whatever has led to her decision, I suspect it was not taken lightly or without understanding the potential to lose this game or the impact it can have on the rest of the season. So I will wait to see what transpires and trust her judgement. Regardless, it is tough on all parties impacted by whatever has led to this point.

I'm hoping that whatever is going on with Pitts and the Bello twins doesn't irritate or discourage their teammates. Who wants to play and be part of team with such issues going on? This is embarrassing and humiliating. The freshmen (Scalia and Powell) could easily pack up and go! I'm sure lots of great teams would want them. Diva Hubbard (graduated in December) has another year of on the court eligibility and could pack up and go anywhere and play immediately. This season seems doomed! I hate that this is going on.

Although it's between semesters, so the twice-weekly Minnesota Daily is not coming out with print editions now, I thought there might be something on its website about this women's basketball situation. Front and center on the main page of the Daily website is an article about the men beating #19 Michigan, but not a word about the women's game yesterday, let alone anything about why three players didn't play. Maybe they're still trying to get the story. On the other hand, maybe the Daily folks are more cheerleaders than journalists.

Although it's between semesters, so the twice-weekly Minnesota Daily is not coming out with print editions now, I thought there might be something on its website about this women's basketball situation. Front and center on the main page of the Daily website is an article about the men beating #19 Michigan, but not a word about the women's game yesterday, let alone anything about why three players didn't play. Maybe they're still trying to get the story. On the other hand, maybe the Daily folks are more cheerleaders than journalists.
#1 Road game, so no reporter there. They use stringers or wire service for those games.
#2 If Whalen ever talks, they will have something.

As a season ticket holder, I will not be attending any more women's basketball games. A team that gives up in the face of adversity by not fielding a competitive team is not worthy of support.

As a season ticket holder, I will not be attending any more women's basketball games. A team that gives up in the face of adversity by not fielding a competitive team is not worthy of support.
Really? You’re going to take it out on the players that are still playing? It doesn’t seem like they’ve given up. Regarding the fielding of a competitive team, you can mostly thank Stollings for that. I, for one, will still be there cheering for the good and hoping the future is bright.

Let the dust settle and calm restored, and for the facts to bare.

This is Whalen's first crisis. Let's see how she handles it.

so you are giving up? and you are not going to support players that HAD nothing to do with this.. it wasn't the WHOLE team that quit.. that's a horrible take JackFei

No updates on the situation yet? I guess you can tell it’s women’s sports. The media doesn’t bother digging for the story.

No updates on the situation yet? I guess you can tell it’s women’s sports. The media doesn’t bother digging for the story.
WIll probably find out more tommorrow, only media availability with Whalen and players is the day before games or after games but no local media was in Illinois.

They can and should ask the questions at the media availability session (and maybe they already have been with no success on answers).

It is possible that the answers tomorrow could be the "can't comment per University policy". We'd all like to know more, but likely will never know all the answers.

If nothing else, we'll see who is out there for warmups on Thursday pre-game.

Personally, I support Coach Whalen and the team and have been there through thick and thin for 17 years.

They can and should ask the questions at the media availability session (and maybe they already have been with no success on answers).

It is possible that the answers tomorrow could be the "can't comment per University policy". We'd all like to know more, but likely will never know all the answers.

If nothing else, we'll see who is out there for warmups on Thursday pre-game.

Personally, I support Coach Whalen and the team and have been there through thick and thin for 17 years.
> Personally, I support Coach Whalen and the team and have been there through thick and thin for 17 years.

Thanks!

I, and other fans, and I'm sure Lindsay, and Destiny, and Taiye, and Kehinde, and all the rest of the team appreciate your support. Hopefully, compared to the thick and thin of 17 years, this is just a small bump in the road.

As a long time season ticket holder I will be there Thursday supporting Whalen and the team. Whalen has been coached by some of the all time great coaches and I trust she knows about team chemistry. It is obviously more difficult when the discipline falls on her shoulders early in her career. I am still hoping there is a win/win here but that seems unlikely.

Coaches show on Fox 9+ right now. They asked if she had any more information she could provide on the three players and she said nothing to add at this time.

Asked if they would be playing "soon" and she said we have some things to work on.

Sorry, don't have the exact quotes -- this show will be on Channel 9 at 10:35 PM tonight.

Video of the coaches show. Lindsey addresses it at the start. I don't like the "keep evaluating" response

Top Bottom