Destiny PItts: Transfers to Texas A&M (All Things Suspension and Transfer Related)

Why wouldn’t she be considered a senior?🤔
I wonder if they're already factoring in/planning to take advantage of that the NCAA is allowing the 2020-21 winter athletes to apply for a free one-year extension of eligibility?

Interview with Destiny Pitts under condition that Minnesota transfer not discussed.

It's interesting that in this article dated 11-10-2020 Destiny is quoted in regard to her parents, “They are just excited to see me play again, especially since this is my last year."

Maybe she has professional plans in her near future.

If you have the online credentials to SEC Network, you can watch Pitts and TAMU play today at noon against Lamar.
Video:
Audio:
Live stats:

Thanks for reminding me. I got see Destiny knock down a couple of threes and pick up an assist early in the third.

Am I missing something? Isn't this is a GOPHER form? Pitts is not a Gopher anymore. So unless we are playing A&M, why is this thread (similar to the Bueckers thread) still being added to? There is no connection to the Gophers.

Unless its just wanting to harp on that she transferred away and try and blame Whalen or act like she was in the wrong...seeing who the poster is makes that basically the only reason to keep bringing up Pitts :rolleyes:

Am I missing something? Isn't this is a GOPHER form? Pitts is not a Gopher anymore. So unless we are playing A&M, why is this thread (similar to the Bueckers thread) still being added to? There is no connection to the Gophers.

Unless its just wanting to harp on that she transferred away and try and blame Whalen or act like she was in the wrong...seeing who the poster is makes that basically the only reason to keep bringing up Pitts :rolleyes:
Agreed, I wish the transfers and Bueckers the best, but this is a Gopher forum so these threads should be moved to a different board.

Once a Gopher, always a Gopher. Destiny was one of my favorite players. It's fun to keep track of how she's doing at A&M. Plus, we have clearly labeled non-gopher threads so that people don't get all steamed over the attention.

It would be silly to ignore Bueckers, whom many people on this board watched for years.

Once a Gopher, always a Gopher. Destiny was one of my favorite players. It's fun to keep track of how she's doing at A&M. Plus, we have clearly labeled non-gopher threads so that people don't get all steamed over the attention.

It would be silly to ignore Bueckers, whom many people on this board watched for years.
Cool so move them to the off topic board

So we going to start a Tomancova to FIU thread and follow her career there, correct?

In terms of WNBA, yeah they usually scout players who are coming off the bench and scoring 7 in a game. (pitts has come off bench in both A&M’s first two games.)

WhalenFan, the only reason it’s done is because the knock on local recruiting can’t be used against Whalen after 2022 gets and on the short list for Battle and Braun. So need to harp on old things as a way to continue to complain about the Whalen hiring.

We actually can learn a few things by checking up on former players; maybe not as dramatic as Shonte Clays reason for leaving; but sometimes we just find interesting stories like Amber Dvorak's second basketball career at Drury.

When we had couple of former players move on to Loyola Marymount I was checking for Jackie Johnsons stats and took a diversion which led to Katie Loberg's blog and a post in which Katie about her last year at Minnesota and how she eventually re-found her love of basketball by hooking up with Zoe Harper and playing in Australia.

I find these things interesting while adding color and depth. And yes when a player is recruited by Gary Blair it's of interest to watch how he uses her.

I guess i don’t see the harm in posting about former gophers. Didn’t work out here but no reason why they can’t post about them in a single thread. 🤷🏼‍♀️

In terms of WNBA, yeah they usually scout players who are coming off the bench and scoring 7 in a game. (pitts has come off bench in both A&M’s first two games.)

Now you sound like a Pitts expert. Would you be this informed if I hadn’t posted the information, or is that too complicated a question for you?

But as long as you’re taking an interest in Pitts, you might as well make an effort to relay accurate stats.

In the first game, she scored 11 pts in 26 min, and dialed up 5 assists. It’s also interesting to note that she was the only TAMU player to hit a three.

In today’s game, she scored 12 pts (80%) in 21 min. She hit all of her three attempts and 2 of the team’s 3 attempts. Seems like TAMU is hurting for three point shooting.

She was Top 5 in minutes in both games.

I guess i don’t see the harm in posting about former gophers. Didn’t work out here but no reason why they can’t post about them in a single thread. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I'm not saying they can't, I'm curious why on a GOPHER forum but to each their own. I also expect the group to update about Tomancova, Stapes and even Woodard if she lands somewhere if that "once a gopher, always a gopher" thing stands.

my issue is the intension behind posting and following up with Pitts. Its known the poster has next to nothing positive to say about the team or coaches. So the focus on Pitts helps the theory that Whalen was a bad hire/bad coach. Look at Wednesday. If the gophers win, Shades will be mute and no post to be seen. If they lose, one of the first to comment. He would rather them lose than ever have success to prove his point on Whalen. So the intension with Pitts is to continue the "Whalen was a bad coach/wrong in that situation" not to simply update.

Its basically the same thing with Kent Youngblood. Watch his tweets during the Gopher WBB season. If they are doing good in a game, or winning, hardly any tweets. Losing or struggling, he can't keep his fingers moving fast enough to trash the team. Maybe Kent's Forum name is Shades as they have the same distain for the program it seems.

Pitts scored a team high 14 pts in 15 min off the bench in yesterday’s game against Northwestern State.

Last edited:

The thread title seems pretty definitive. If it bothers you, just don’t click on it.
I think Gopherhole is about sports in the state of Minnesota and college sports in general. It’s a great place to catch up and find out what’s going on.

It’s like the people who get bent out of shape with Jerry Kill threads. Just read something else.

It’s not like there isn’t room for more girls basketball information.

Charles Hallman catches up with Destiny:

Destiny Pitts was among the 108 NCAA players available for the recent 2022 WNBA Draft. The former Minnesota Gopher and Texas A&M star didn’t get drafted; however, she is playing pro ball nonetheless.

The 5-10 guard from Detroit started her pro career last weekend, playing for the Monterrey Fuerza Regia club in Mexico. She talked to the MSR last Friday prior to her pro debut.

Pitts explained it was a quick turnaround from being an undrafted player to heading south across the border to continue her basketball playing. “Earlier in the week, I was working in our athletic IT department at Texas A&M, finishing up school,” said Pitts, who will graduate this year with her human resources development master’s degree—she has her bachelor’s in technology management.

“My agent reached out to me. We thought it would be a great situation.” Finding the right agent, especially one with the right international connections, is awfully important for former college players.

Were there any apprehensions about playing overseas these days with a pandemic still around and political instability around the world as well? “That was my whole point of even signing with [an agent],” responded Pitts. “To be able to trust them and know they’ll put me in a good situation.”

Pitts joins another American, Alexis Jones, a 2017 first-round pick of Minnesota who played two seasons in the Mexican team’s backcourt. Playing for Fuerza Regia, “They really emphasize the importance of the players’ needs,” Pitts stressed. “We all stay in the same building together. We all have our own rules.”

The season isn’t long, about a couple of months, but long enough, noted Pitts. “We are playing back-to-back [games] each weekend.”

We first met Pitts in 2017, a top signee for Minnesota at the time, and almost immediately struck a connection. She lived up to her prep star billing, setting a school freshman record with 90 made three-pointers and leading the Gophers with nine double-figure rebounds games.

Her sophomore year, she made first-team all-Big Ten and Academic all-conference honoree. She was a preseason all-league her short-lived junior season before her unexpected and still controversial departure from the team. She eventually transferred to Texas A&M in 2020.

In Pitts’ senior year she won 2021 SEC Sixth Woman of the Year and led the conference in three-point FG percentage. She also took advantage of the NCAA’s extra year granted due to the pandemic and returned for the 2021-22 season. Our connection remained intact as well.

“I think it was good and bad experience,” said Pitts of her college career at two different schools. “It wasn’t my ideal situation throughout the whole college career, especially what happened in Minnesota. It taught me a lot, and it helped me understand the business side of college athletics.”

More importantly, Pitts learned a lot under Hall of Famer Gary Blair, who retired after this season. “I think it was a really good experience,” she reaffirmed. “He was able to teach me a lot, not just basketball, and helped me make a lot of connections.”

His enormous playbook prepared her for pro ball as well. “The biggest thing is this playbook, of being able to play different positions and know how to manage the game and understand the importance of that. That helped me at the next level,” she said.

Pitts hopes that her Mexican playing experience will lead to more pro opportunities, “to get a feel…to get a better situation overseas.”

FPm16F_WYBMAzsB.jpg

Final Four Reunion. Stollings with Kenisha Bell, Destiny Pitts, Diva Hubbard.

Charles Hallman catches up with Destiny:
"especially what happened in Minnesota. It taught me a lot, and it helped me understand the business side of college athletics.”

Interesting comment.

Perhaps eluding to hiring a celebrity coach in order to help raise booster money for the U versus a coach with experience, qualification, and leadership skills to oversee a D1 basketball team.

Perhaps eluding to hiring a celebrity coach in order to help raise booster money for the U versus a coach with experience, qualification, and leadership skills to oversee a D1 basketball team.

Do you plan to troll this board forever? Perhaps it would be to everyone’s benefit for you to find a program you enjoy and provide your enlightening comments there.

Top Bottom