Dawson Garcia will return to Minnesota next season!!!

I think this is Ben complimenting Garcia for putting team in front of money and that is good. I am thankful to Garcia for it.
But it is very stupid of Ben to put this statement out there.
"Don't come here unless you are willing to take short money" is the message this sends. This smacks of a coach and University in denial as to what is required in terms of NIL going forward.

I think you got it right with the first sentence.

Then you decided to have an overly melodramatic kneejerk reaction (an occasional tendency of yours) in the rest of the post.

Could have been implied pro (G, euro or other) money.

Serious question here....

Could Garcia still shop his services to other schools to see what kind of NIL deals he could get even though he didn't officially go into the portal? Or his agent can do the due diligence required? If yes to either question, why bother entering the portal? If this was for pro money, he would likely be just deferring the inevitable, barring injury.

Serious question here....

Could Garcia still shop his services to other schools to see what kind of NIL deals he could get even though he didn't officially go into the portal? Or his agent can do the due diligence required? If yes to either question, why bother entering the portal? If this was for pro money, he would likely be just deferring the inevitable, barring injury.
Yes. Graduate dont need to go into the portal.

Transfer portal is still confusing to me. Basically it is open.

So did DG get along with Payne, JOJ, Ihnen and Carrington?

I think this is Ben complimenting Garcia for putting team in front of money and that is good. I am thankful to Garcia for it.
"Don't come here unless you are willing to take short money" is the message this sends. This smacks of a coach and University in denial as to what is required in terms of NIL going forward.
He made two clear messages:

1) Dawson Garcia is a special guy who chose to play for Minnesota when he could have gotten more money by going into the portal.

2) We need more NIL money to compete for other players who will not have the loyalty to their team as does Dawson.

He made two clear messages:

1) Dawson Garcia is a special guy who chose to play for Minnesota when he could have gotten more money by going into the portal.

2) We need more NIL money to compete for other players who will not have the loyalty to their team as does Dawson.
That is a fair interpretation as well.

Yes. Graduate dont need to go into the portal.
???? You are saying that Dawson graduated? He was listed as a Junior all year, and he left school at North Carolina to return home mid-season and did not enroll at the U until the following fall. Would think that would have put him behind on credits. He didn’t go through Senior day. He is a graduate student?

Wow! Such an incredible ability to put a negative spin on most anything. Garcia could have gone overseas to play and been immediately making multiples of six figures, OR, he could have entered the portal and gotten big $$ offers from big money schools. Ben was simply stating the obvious. We all know he could have left for more money. Do you think Ben was “letting the cat out of the bag?” Like him or not, he is a straight shooter.

This is a win for Ben and the program and great for Dawson Garcia’s legacy as a Gopher. Let’s celebrate it rather than looking for ways to find fault.

Burns already lying that DTA was the reason it happened :rolleyes:

If you’re choosing Minnesota, then money is automatically not the top factor for you. Just facts of life.

Glad that Dawson can look past the money in the short term to realize staying here was his best long term option!!

There's no question that DTA has been contributing to NIL for the Gophers in a significant way. Why shouldn't Burns use this as advertising to get the word out?

Transfer portal is still confusing to me. Basically it is open.

ATS posted something here the other day. The NCAA has put a moratorium (motivated by the court cases I'm sure) on enforcing the one-time transfer rule. So, it's every man for himself. We could recruit someone who has been at three different schools in the last three years without sitting out with total impunity!

???? You are saying that Dawson graduated? He was listed as a Junior all year, and he left school at North Carolina to return home mid-season and did not enroll at the U until the following fall. Would think that would have put him behind on credits. He didn’t go through Senior day. He is a graduate student?
Yeah, I assumed he would graduate this spring. Maybe he won't. Most of these guys graduate in 4 years or less. I'd also assume he didn't withdraw from UNC after his dad got sick and finished the year online.

My assumptions could certainly be wrong, I just think it's more likely than not he will graduate this spring/summer.

Only took the 3 rd transfer with 0 options to get here... I personally don't believe it

If Garcia wanted to sell his services to a higher profile NCAA tournament team for a year.....I would be very surprised if he didn't have a LOT of interest.

But things change. Lots of players find out that the grass isn't greener on the other side. He was at Marquette.....he went to UNC.....and then came back to Minnesota. It's not crazy to think that he's comfortable back in his home state.....playing on a team and for a crowd that appreciates him. Not to mention that he'll still make a nice chunk of change here.

Guessing that Fox is looking for a better offer than frozen pizza.

which was getting him to stay.
But they had no part in that.

Dawson would have stayed here if we were the only P5 team without a NIL program. He did not stay here for any reason having anything to do with NIL money.

That's what's so egregious about Burns's dishonest pronouncement

A win for DTA? Sounds more like a win for a player that maybe actually PRIORITIZED staying here?
THIS

What a breath of fresh air, in a new era of short-sighted selfishness. Dawson playing the long game and knows that some things are more important than a bit of money now.

The only schools who have massive NIL money are those who get it from a relatively few mega-donors.

We don't have any of those, who care about Gopher sports. Plain and simple.

Now I know in writing less is more, but….
I don't think his Tweet was saying anything about himself. He was calling Dawson the GOAT. Already stamped ... I think that's a simple postage reference. Call a friend is probably a slightly off reference to Eminem lyrics ("guess who's back ... tell a friend").

But they had no part in that.

Dawson would have stayed here if we were the only P5 team without a NIL program. He did not stay here for any reason having anything to do with NIL money.

That's what's so egregious about Burns's dishonest pronouncement
So? As long as Burns isn’t siphoning more than a standard cut, I think this does help us. DTA Gettin it done. Free publicity and all.

* P.S. i just noted there is an extreme dire need for a goldy head emoji. And then, when ya really wanna shine it on - one that spins.

So nothing. I just dislike dishonesty, is all.

Hardly the first time someone attempted to gain publicity by making a dishonest statement. Not even the first time that DTA has employed the strategy.

As long as Burns isn’t siphoning more than a standard cut,
Ryan Burns isn't employed by DTA and I assume gets zero cut of anything having to do with that organization. His cousin(?) Derek is a co-founder of DTA.

Top Bottom