Dawson Garcia will return to Minnesota next season!!!

That is some much needed great news for next season. The downside being that if the rumors posted in other threads are true about a key player leaving then that means it is Christie. Hopefully that turns out not to be true but wouldn't be all that shocking in this current climate.

3 out of 5 starters back for sure.....Lot of room to fill in around them.....hopefully Johnson can find some quality options. And fingers crossed that Christie decides to stick around for another year.

giphy.gif

That is some much needed great news for next season. The downside being that if the rumors posted in other threads are true about a key player leaving then that means it is Christie. Hopefully that turns out not to be true but wouldn't be all that shocking in this current climate.

3 out of 5 starters back for sure.....Lot of room to fill in around them.....hopefully Johnson can find some quality options. And fingers crossed that Christie decides to stick around for another year.
Better to just focus on the good news and hope the bad news never comes ;)

This is welcome news!

Press release per the U of MN:

Garcia Announces University of Minnesota Return
MINNEAPOLIS -
University of Minnesota basketball standout Dawson Garcia announced his return to the Golden Gophers program through the university's social media channels. Garcia is electing to use his COVID year for the 2024-25 season and will return to the Gophers for his fifth and final year of eligibility.
"I take extreme pride and gratitude in wearing "Minnesota" across my chest," Garcia said. "I couldn't pass up the opportunity to run it back one last time and represent this state. Let's make it a special year Gopher nation!"
Garcia, a forward from Savage, Minn., led the Golden Gophers in nearly every statistical category this past season. A Second/Third Team All-Big Ten selection, Garcia led the team in points (545), points per game (17.6), rebounds (207), rebounds per game (6.7), free throws attempted (177), free throws made (142) and free throw percentage (.802).
He ranked second on the team in minutes played, averaging 32 per contest, and he started all 31 games he participated in this past season. Garcia shot 48.6 percent from the field and had 28 double-digit games, 12 20-point games, and three 30-point performances, while leading the team in scoring in 17 games.
Garcia was also named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) Second Team All-District Team, the first Gopher to receive this honor since Daniel Oturu in 2020. Garcia was also an Academic All-Big Ten honoree.
In his two years at Minnesota, Garcia has scored 943 points and recorded 380 rebounds. Throughout his four-year collegiate career, the former McDonald's All-American has scored 1,438 points, averaged 14.4 points per game and 647 rebounds.

Press release per the U of MN:

Garcia Announces University of Minnesota Return
MINNEAPOLIS -
University of Minnesota basketball standout Dawson Garcia announced his return to the Golden Gophers program through the university's social media channels. Garcia is electing to use his COVID year for the 2024-25 season and will return to the Gophers for his fifth and final year of eligibility.
"I take extreme pride and gratitude in wearing "Minnesota" across my chest," Garcia said. "I couldn't pass up the opportunity to run it back one last time and represent this state. Let's make it a special year Gopher nation!"
Love it....your turn Parker....you know you want to do this one more time....it's in your blood. :)

The downside being that if the rumors posted in other threads are true about a key player leaving then that means it is Christie.

We could not replace Garcia from the portal or even come that close. Christie was good for a freshman and deservedly made the All Freshman Team. He likely would be even better next season but there are a lot of off guards in the portal and it's certainly more possible that we could find someone (or two) who could adequately replace his contributions.

We could not replace Garcia from the portal or even come that close. Christie was good for a freshman and deservedly made the All Freshman Team. He likely would be even better next season but there are a lot of off guards in the portal and it's certainly more possible that we could find someone (or two) who could adequately replace his contributions.

This is an interesting point. If we knew Christie was going to be around for a few years, I would disagree. 3 years of Christie > 1 year of Garcia

But of course this is a year to year deal now. So I probably agree with you.
Final year of Garcia > Year 2 of Christie

Burns already lying that DTA was the reason it happened :rolleyes:

If you’re choosing Minnesota, then money is automatically not the top factor for you. Just facts of life.

Glad that Dawson can look past the money in the short term to realize staying here was his best long term option!!
He's not lying, who said it was the top factor?

It was certainly a factor, and DTA played a role. No harm in getting the pub out there.

Burns already lying that DTA was the reason it happened :rolleyes:

If you’re choosing Minnesota, then money is automatically not the top factor for you. Just facts of life.

Glad that Dawson can look past the money in the short term to realize staying here was his best long term option!!
He didn't say that it was the reason it happened. He said it was a win for them. To any reasonable person, that means that they did enough to accomplish the goal, which was getting him to stay.

If this was a couple of years ago, I'd disagree with you because Christie has more potential and Garcia is graduating. However, in our new world, you're 100% correct. Garcia is more important because he will likely be a better player next year and that's almost the only thing that matters.

Top Bottom