David Mutaf

If I recall correctly, it was Big Ten games where Gabe went off the rails. I would love to see the Big Ten TS% stats. I am guessing Carr's were way better than Gabe's.

Im an idiot. Basketball reference has all this.

Gabe’s true shooting % in the conference was 45.5%. As a freshman it was 61.4%

Carr’s true shooting % in the conference last year was 53%, so he was significantly more efficient in conference games than Gabe. He is also the primary ball handler and play maker. Plus he has a higher usage rate. He was really good last year.

Does he defend and lead like Gabe? Even at Gabes lower percentage last year he was still a valuable and important piece on the team. He created lots of space for Oturo and Carr. Mutaf isn’t taking his minutes. He’s gotta take minutes from Mash, Tre, and Ihnen
Gabe also has been shooting well from inside the perimeter.

Carr’s true shooting % in the conference last year was 53%, so he was significantly more efficient in conference games than Gabe. He is also the primary ball handler and play maker. Plus he has a higher usage rate. He was really good last year.

The higher usage rate is not necessarily a good thing. For example, Victor Oladipo's usage rate is so high with Indiana that other teams don't know if he can fit into their team - - like is he only this good if he dominates the ball at all times.

I think the Gophers would actually improve if Carr's usage was a tad lower.

You most certainly are not an idiot. :) I think Gabe will be much better this year. Mashburn and Gach will help reduce the pressure on him and the minutes he plays. I look for a very good year from Gabe!

The higher usage rate is not necessarily a good thing. For example, Victor Oladipo's usage rate is so high with Indiana that other teams don't know if he can fit into their team - - like is he only this good if he dominates the ball at all times.

Agreed. Carr’s efficiency would likeMy increase with a lower usage rate, but to be as efficient as he was in conference play with all the demands on him is very impressive.

We're loaded??? What fantasy camp did you attend?
Keep this same energy when we're looking great later in the season you clown. We have 10-11 guys on this team who can and will play significant minutes this season.

Keep this same energy when we're looking great later in the season you clown. We have 10-11 guys on this team who can and will play significant minutes this season.
Of course we do. But those 10-11 guys, outside of Marcus Carr, are not world beaters.

He made EVERYthing on his highlight video!

You're such a homer.
Let's come back to this in a year. If you don't think he will be a good shooter grow a pair and go on record for saying he won't be able to shoot.

Also, I wasn't referring to just his highlight tape. There's game footage of him playing in Turkey available on YT if you'd actually take the time to search

What’s the story on Mutaf? Any chance we will see him play today?

What’s the story on Mutaf? Any chance we will see him play today?

He has been injured. I saw him on the bench Saturday. No idea what the plans are to get him in a game.

Gabe's TS%:
2019-2020 - 50.5%
2018-2019 - 58%

For comparison 2019 TS%:
Marcus Carr - 50.8%
Daniel Oturu - 62%
Peyton Willis - 51.9%

Yes, according to Sports Reference, that was about Gabe's TS% for the entire 2019-20 year. However, his TS% in conference last year was pretty bad: 45.5%. As a point of comparison, Isaiah Washington's in-conference TS% as a freshman was 48.0%. Nobody ever accused Isaiah of being a sharpshooter.

In contrast, Carr's was 50.2 for the whole year but 53.0 in conference.

So, Carr got better and Gabe got worse as the season went on. Willis was significantly worse in conference as well: 47.4%.

I agree with that. Seems like he was trying to lower it a bit in the second game. Move the ball and use the lineup. This isn't like last year where everyone on the team except the top two were below average in the conference.

Let's come back to this in a year. If you don't think he will be a good shooter grow a pair and go on record for saying he won't be able to shoot.

Also, I wasn't referring to just his highlight tape. There's game footage of him playing in Turkey available on YT if you'd actually take the time to search

OK, but he hasn't done anything here yet. It doesn't pay to place much emotional investment in players until they demonstrate that they're worth that. He might be good, but he might not be too.

Neither of us know a GD thing about Mutaf.

Yes, I don't know why some people insist on getting so invested in players before they demonstrate that they're worth the investment. Nobody is going to remember, or care, that you thought a player would be good before most people noticed.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂oh wait you’re serious 😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

OK, that was funny; loaded was a bit hyperbolic. But, considering the typical depth of Pitino's past teams, this team, relatively speaking, is "loaded."

You're certainly not an idiot but humility is always an admirable trait.

One minor correction: The site isn't "Basketball Reference." Basketball Reference is a pro basketball site. The site is "College Basketball at Sports Reference." There is a corresponding site for football called "College Football at Sports Reference."

Yes, according to Sports Reference, that was about Gabe's TS% for the entire 2019-20 year. However, his TS% in conference last year was pretty bad: 45.5%. As a point of comparison, Isaiah Washington's in-conference TS% as a freshman was 48.0%. Nobody ever accused Isaiah of being a sharpshooter.

In contrast, Carr's was 50.2 for the whole year but 53.0 in conference.

So, Carr got better and Gabe got worse as the season went on. Willis was significantly worse in conference as well: 47.4%.

Woah woah, so all those minutes didn't kill him? Jk I know this is just one specific stat, but something to look at instead of just what our eyes remember. I strongly believe last year was an aberration for Gabe and he'll come back this year. I'm also hoping that having a guys like Both and Johnson who are better at penetrating gaps will help get him better shots too.

Woah woah, so all those minutes didn't kill him? Jk I know this is just one specific stat, but something to look at instead of just what our eyes remember. I strongly believe last year was an aberration for Gabe and he'll come back this year. I'm also hoping that having a guys like Both and Johnson who are better at penetrating gaps will help get him better shots too.
I don't see anyone in the starting lineup that you can just sag off on and Carr is going to demand doubles. Last year teams left Demir wide open on the perimeter. So there will be lots of opportunity for Gabe, Mashburn, Gach and Ihnen for open three looks.

Gabe's TS%:
2019-2020 - 50.5%
2018-2019 - 58%

For comparison 2019 TS%:
Marcus Carr - 50.8%
Daniel Oturu - 62%
Peyton Willis - 51.9%
Throw out Gabe's top 4 Shooting games and I bet his % goes right down the pooper. He and Willis were atrocious last year.

I don't see anyone in the starting lineup that you can just sag off on and Carr is going to demand doubles. Last year teams left Demir wide open on the perimeter. So there will be lots of opportunity for Gabe, Mashburn, Gach and Ihnen for open three looks.
There won't be because this team is gonna dribble the d@mn ball flat before they pass it...

Any word on Mutaf. Is he injured, sick?

Top Bottom