Darius Taylor and Daniel Jackson dealing with injuries.

I have no idea what time the fellas practice generally during times when school is not in session, but I’m going with the 6 AM practices causing these muscle strains. It’s harder to get loose first thing in the morning. Even if not, I would still make the business case if I was a player that’s too damn early to get up in the morning when you’re in college.
The reason they practice at 6 AM has to be discipline related. Pretty hard to practice at this level without sleep. So the players are in bed vs out getting in trouble late night or drinking etc.

BUT, do they get enough sleep to be healthy? They'd have to go to bed at 9 PM to get up at 5 AM. Sleep Doctor
Listen to her facts and no coach would ever have 6 AM practices.

It's a high impact sport, we need to be prepared for this possibility at every position. Brosmer could be a wrong step away from a Teddy Bridgewater type injury, it's part of the game. I hate that it happens but I have a hard time blaming this on the staff overworking our players or playing them sooner than they should have

Per Wald:

Taylor, Jackson back at practice?​

Fleck said star running back Darius Taylor and receiver Daniel Jackson have been at practice and participating. To what level, we don’t know. He’s hopeful the Gophers’ top two offensive players will be available for the season opener.

We won’t know more detail until the injury report comes out two hours before kickoff.

"I anticipate everybody to be ready for the opener," Fleck said.

Go Gophers!!

Am I correct this is his second go-round with a hamstring? Third? Same leg?

My guess is one of either the coach(es) or player tried to have him go full speed too soon. Even old farts try to do too much too soon after injury. Young guys and sometimes clueless coaches have to learn the hard way sometimes to allow sufficient rehab time and that can be a LONG time.

Obviously this is baseless speculation on my part. Throw your shoes.
Thought you said third leg at first.

By now it should be beyond obvious that Fleck is a run-first coach. Control the ball and the clock, keep the opposition's offense off the field, give your own defense a chance to rest and adjust. Love it or hate it, that's the FleckBall reality.

If you want to see the Gophers run the Air Raid or whatever, you're out of luck.
Fleck's "offense" is very similar to what Mason and Kill tried to run in concept. As you note: ball control, manage the clock, don't ask too much of the defense. My problem with that is that we seem to be on in competition with Iowa to see who can have the most boring offense on in the FBS. Mason and Kill here, plus many other coaches (including Fleck in 2019) throw a few wrinkles in and create some excitement. Excitement on offense has not been a hallmark of Fleck's tenure here.

Last year the biggest problem is we asked too much of the defense - they were on the field entirely too much and with injuries, the plan failed. There was no trust in the offense, and we missed Ibrahim who willed success and kept drives alive.

The "offensive" approach is not going to change. Peej has his thumb on the offense and doesn't seem to be willing to take it off. As interesting as what we look this year is what AK looks like at Rutgers with Ciarrocca.

Peej and Kirk and AK have a lot riding on where the problems have come from at Minnesota on offense in 2024, which adds some intrigue to the season and insight to the past couple of years for us.

Me, I'm looking on the bright side; after all, if Taylor were to miss the entire season at least I wouldn't have to read any posts about how Fleck "ran him into the ground".
They will say he is missing this entire season because Fleck ran him into the ground last year, or some such.

Last year the biggest problem is we asked too much of the defense - they were on the field entirely too much and with injuries, the plan failed. There was no trust in the offense, and we missed Ibrahim who willed success and kept drives alive.
That might well be true. All the dropped passes and at other times open receivers that were missed cause problems in putting us off schedule. I agree about keeping the defense off the field, but I would really like our defense to be able to get themselves off their field once in a while. I think that most any team would miss Ibrahim. Ohio St and Michigan might be able to plug the new guy in there without a drop in productivity, but not the rest of us. Go Gophers!

Anyone remember the episode of Coach where Minnesota St's star QB, Bo Whitley is hurt and can't play in the Pineapple Bowl. But the injury is not real and Whitley gets up out of his wheelchair with 2 minutes left in the game and leads them to a win in dramatic fashion.

That's what is going to happen with Taylor and Jackson next Thursday.

1724438671160.png

Fleck's "offense" is very similar to what Mason and Kill tried to run in concept. As you note: ball control, manage the clock, don't ask too much of the defense. My problem with that is that we seem to be on in competition with Iowa to see who can have the most boring offense on in the FBS. Mason and Kill here, plus many other coaches (including Fleck in 2019) throw a few wrinkles in and create some excitement. Excitement on offense has not been a hallmark of Fleck's tenure here.

The "offensive" approach is not going to change. Peej has his thumb on the offense and doesn't seem to be willing to take it off. As interesting as what we look this year is what AK looks like at Rutgers with Ciarrocca.

Peej and Kirk and AK have a lot riding on where the problems have come from at Minnesota on offense in 2024, which adds some intrigue to the season and insight to the past couple of years for us.
I can answer that already, the problems on offense at MN come from the departure of Ciarocca and Fleck's inability to find a good replacement.

I can answer that already, the problems on offense at MN come from the departure of Ciarocca and Fleck's inability to find a good replacement.
I think the biggest issue has been the lack of WRs who can win at the LOS and get open for slants. RPO just hasn’t been there since 2019 as a result, which was our bread and butter.

Sounds like we’ve tried to address that through recruiting and distinct short passing concepts. Hopefully it works. Regardless, Kirk is not some irreplaceable genius.

Anyone remember the episode of Coach where Minnesota St's star QB, Bo Whitley is hurt and can't play in the Pineapple Bowl. But the injury is not real and Whitley gets up out of his wheelchair with 2 minutes left in the game and leads them to a win in dramatic fashion.

That's what is going to happen with Taylor and Jackson next Thursday.

View attachment 33113
Do I? The Fox Outsmarts the Snake!

Ranks #2 in Screaming Eagles wins, just behind the game which Luther is sick in the hospital, watching the game on TV & notices the offensive lineman tipping whether it's a pass or run by his setup, breaks out of the hospital, get to the stadium & wanders onto the sideline & lets Fox know about the tip, which leads to a game winning INT!

I think the biggest issue has been the lack of WRs who can win at the LOS and get open for slants. RPO just hasn’t been there since 2019 as a result, which was our bread and butter.

Sounds like we’ve tried to address that through recruiting and distinct short passing concepts. Hopefully it works. Regardless, Kirk is not some irreplaceable genius.
The 2019 offense was so deadly because you could not defend Bateman or Johnson 1-on-1, and so we always had an advantage (either with one of the WR or with numbers in the box).

I think DJ is in the category now. We also can't repeatedly miss the easy throws.

Even Kirk's offenses were inconsistent. Sanford was a disaster. Harbaugh somewhat new to being an OC. Let's hope he is better this year with a functional QB.

Do I? The Fox Outsmarts the Snake!

Ranks #2 in Screaming Eagles wins, just behind the game which Luther is sick in the hospital, watching the game on TV & notices the offensive lineman tipping whether it's a pass or run by his setup, breaks out of the hospital, get to the stadium & wanders onto the sideline & lets Fox know about the tip, which leads to a game winning INT!
I haven't watched that show forever. Now I have to see where it's on. Looks like prime video might have it?

The 2019 offense was so deadly because you could not defend Bateman or Johnson 1-on-1, and so we always had an advantage (either with one of the WR or with numbers in the box).

I think DJ is in the category now. We also can't repeatedly miss the easy throws.
100% correct.

This is exactly why there is such a focus on the SHORT passing game this year.

ONE WAY to force an alignment with two safeties is to compel fear of leaving either of two primary receivers in single coverage. That was 2019. We likely don't have personnel to do that this year.

ANOTHER WAY is to run an effective West Coast focused short passing game. That forces an alignment with two safeties -- not out of wanting to double any receiver -- but because they want to keep their CBs up, in order to deal with the short passes. If CBs will not cover more than 5 yards downfield, then you need two safeties back.

So we use the short passing game until the D goes into Cover-2. Then we run. Rinse and repeat.

Watch.

It’s just my opinion, but I don’t think Harbaugh has been dealt a good enough hand to determine just how good and OC he is or isn’t. He had a quarterback last year that couldn’t complete a 5 to 10 yard pass to a wide-open receiver and a 5th string running back who started half the season. His playbook and game plans were extremely limited due to these issues. I can’t judge him based on that.

QB Athan Kaliakmanis's passer rating last season was 96th. His completion percentage was 103rd.

AK looked good at the end of the season before. Gophers had to roll with him. He didn't work out. Promise but no payoff.

I have no idea what time the fellas practice generally during times when school is not in session, but I’m going with the 6 AM practices causing these muscle strains. It’s harder to get loose first thing in the morning. Even if not, I would still make the business case if I was a player that’s too damn early to get up in the morning when you’re in college.

Are you saying the Gophers practice at 6am during the season?

Three things you can count on: death, taxes, and a thread about two specific player injuries morphing into a discussion about old passing statistics and practice times by page 4.

Per Wald:

Taylor, Jackson back at practice?​

Fleck said star running back Darius Taylor and receiver Daniel Jackson have been at practice and participating. To what level, we don’t know. He’s hopeful the Gophers’ top two offensive players will be available for the season opener.

We won’t know more detail until the injury report comes out two hours before kickoff.

"I anticipate everybody to be ready for the opener," Fleck said.

Go Gophers!!

"Fleck said star running back Darius Taylor and receiver Daniel Jackson have been at practice and participating. To what level, we don’t know. He’s hopeful the Gophers’ top two offensive players will be available for the season opener.

"I anticipate everybody to be ready for the opener," Fleck said."

"Fleck said star running back Darius Taylor and receiver Daniel Jackson have been at practice and participating. To what level, we don’t know. He’s hopeful the Gophers’ top two offensive players will be available for the season opener.

"I anticipate everybody to be ready for the opener," Fleck said."
So they are both out for the year. Darn.

I haven't watched that show forever. Now I have to see where it's on. Looks like prime video might have it?
I actually wasn't much of a fan of the show. Most episodes seemed to not focus on football & more on Hayden in his cabin and the relationship with his daughter and her artsie beatnick boyfriend Stuart.

These threads get so hard to read and follow.

I sure hope Taylor and Jackson play. I want to beat those Tar Heels.

Top Bottom