Darius Taylor and Daniel Jackson dealing with injuries.

Fair, but in my defense there absolutely are people overreacting. I mean some of the replies in this thread basically have DT done for the year based on a note that he was icing his leg and Fleck saying it wasn't serious.

And I understand why people are skeptical of anything Fleck says about injuries because he rarely gives out specifics and he has underplayed injuries on guys in the past. But there is a lot of jumping to conclusions that goes on in these threads that gets way over the top based on little to no actual information.
Reacting to Fleck's assurance it's no big deal is very different than actually thinking DT will be out for the year.

I don't expect Fleck to be transparent on injuries at all, as most coaches aren't. I do think he needs to rethink how he uses players coming off injury, particularly at RB, but we don't know if that's the case with DT. Based on what we've seen in the past, with Brooks and Ibrahim and even Taylor in a meaningless bowl game last year, he takes risks with his RBs that aren't in the best interest of his players health. Sometimes it works out ok. Sometimes it doesn't.

Football is a sport where people get injuries. If DT is hurt and misses time again, that will suck, but it happens.

Is there a reason our worst players don't get injured before the season starts? And our worst players are still really good by the way.
They do, the press just doesn't care enough about them to report it.

Today's Pair and a spare podcast, Ryan Burns said DT has a hamstring, was going to get some xrays after swelling goes down. Not sure how serious it is, but questions whether he'll be ready for UNC game. Burns says it could go from the "Darius Taylor" offense to the "Max Brosmer" offense.
According to Mayo.

Imaging tests
In severe hamstring injuries, the muscle can tear or even separate from the pelvis or shinbone. When this happens, a small piece of bone can be pulled away from the main bone, known as an avulsion fracture. X-rays can check for avulsion fractures, while ultrasound and MRIs can show tears in the muscles and tendons.

Well, from the date of injury(s) it's 5 1/2 weeks to Iowa.

It's early, but I think I need to mentally adjust expectations on DT. Take the Royce Lewis approach - appreciate when he plays, but don't expect it.

let me offer this:

let's say Taylor misses the first 3 games. that forces Fleck and the OC to use the other RB's. Major, Bangura, J. Nubin and Mangham should all get carries.

so when Taylor is able to return, the Gophers will have a much better idea of what the other RB's can provide - and hopefully will have a higher degree of trust that someone other than Taylor is capable of running the ball.

if Taylor starts the season healthy, he gets almost all of the carries and the Gophers don't get a good read on the depth. so having Taylor out early could - I say could - prove to be an advantage in the long run. at least that's how I will choose to look at it.

(then again, if 1 or 2 of the other backs fumble a couple of times early on, they could wind up in the doghouse and will join Sean Tyler in the Fleck RB Witness Protection Program)

let me offer this:

let's say Taylor misses the first 3 games. that forces Fleck and the OC to use the other RB's. Major, Bangura, J. Nubin and Mangham should all get carries.

so when Taylor is able to return, the Gophers will have a much better idea of what the other RB's can provide - and hopefully will have a higher degree of trust that someone other than Taylor is capable of running the ball.

if Taylor starts the season healthy, he gets almost all of the carries and the Gophers don't get a good read on the depth. so having Taylor out early could - I say could - prove to be an advantage in the long run. at least that's how I will choose to look at it.

(then again, if 1 or 2 of the other backs fumble a couple of times early on, they could wind up in the doghouse and will join Sean Tyler in the Fleck RB Witness Protection Program)
Look at you trying to find a silver lining!

Well, from the date of injury(s) it's 5 1/2 weeks to Iowa.

It's early, but I think I need to mentally adjust expectations on DT. Take the Royce Lewis approach - appreciate when he plays, but don't expect it.
We can deal with that as long as we avoid the type of injury bug going on with the Vikes. They had to cart Addison off yesterday. Side note, I saw they mentioned Cashman needed to have finger surgery.

Last edited:

let me offer this:

We need all hands on deck against UNC. The next two games should be opportunities to develop depth.

We can deal with that as long as we avoid the type of injury bug going with the Vikes. They had to cart Addison off yesterday. Side note, I saw they mentioned Cashman needed to have finger surgery.
They think Addison is going to be fine FWIW

one further thought/quibble.

on one hand, I realize that this is how things are now, but ---- we as fans will not find out anything about Taylor's status until 2 hours before the North Carolina game when the mandatory player availability report is issued.

I think college football should have a system similar to the NFL where teams are required to issue reports during the week listing players who are not practicing or limited at practice. get it out in the open and put all teams on the same footing.

at a time when gambling apps are everywhere, I think it's time for college football to be above-board and eliminate any possibility of inside information being used to skew point spreads.

on one hand, I realize that this is how things are now, but ---- we as fans will not find out anything about Taylor's status until 2 hours before the North Carolina game when the mandatory player availability report is issued.

I think college football should have a system similar to the NFL where teams are required to issue reports during the week listing players who are not practicing or limited at practice. get it out in the open and put all teams on the same footing.

at a time when gambling apps are everywhere, I think it's time for college football to be above-board and eliminate any possibility of inside information being used to skew point spreads.
Or people could just not gamble (or just realize it's part of the risk they are taking).

In all seriousness the possibility of players throwing matches, underperforming purposefully or colluding among themselves etc is not zero. I believe there went least a couple college athletes doing exactly that last year, to ensure a winning bet. How many others went unnoticed.

The officials have been doing it for years, but now it’s easier for everyone…half joking

In all seriousness the possibility of players throwing matches, underperforming purposefully or colluding among themselves etc is not zero. I believe there went least a couple college athletes doing exactly that last year, to ensure a winning bet. How many others went unnoticed.

The officials have been doing it for years, but now it’s easier for everyone…half joking
it would not surprise me at all (actually i expect it is happening) if these kids are being approached/contacted by gambling insiders about just this, especially now with prop bets exploding on college football. also is pretty easy for them to tell someone what the gameplan is for a week or a player injury (joy is they count those bets if someone plays a snap most times) and let someone get an inside edge

If DT has a real hamstring injury, we probably only see Major and Mangham against UNC. However, knowing PJ, he'll give Nubin 30 carries because he "trusts him" and the ball is the program

Sticking with my prediciton...Nubin is our rushing leader come year end..
If Taylor's injury proves significant you may be right. Although the other backs' resumés are good too.

Sticking with my prediciton...Nubin is our rushing leader come year end..
He's shown flashes of good vision and his last name is Nubin, it's entirely possible he made a leap in the offseason and that would be great. I don't care what the name on the jersey is if the statline is 1200 rushing yards at the end of the season!

Game one intrigue: DT is out (history says). Who does PJ trust?
Will we see 3 RB's get 5 or more carries to start the season?
Or will PJ pick one guy, after a month of practice, and give him 25 plus carries? (No matter how effective...as long as he doesn't fumble)
Be hard to believe we pass more than we run...but I guess there's always a chance in game 1 intrigue.

Or will PJ pick one guy, after a month of practice, and give him 25 plus carries? (No matter how effective...as long as he doesn't fumble)
Be hard to believe we pass more than we run...but I guess there's always a chance in game 1 intrigue.

By now it should be beyond obvious that Fleck is a run-first coach. Control the ball and the clock, keep the opposition's offense off the field, give your own defense a chance to rest and adjust. Love it or hate it, that's the FleckBall reality.

If you want to see the Gophers run the Air Raid or whatever, you're out of luck.

Nobody will argue that Fleck doesn't tend to ride the hot hand. And obviously we know that there are posters here that start panicking anytime a RB goes over 20 carries.

But to the part in bold......where are the times Fleck has given an ineffective back 25+ carries? Mo got a ton of carries when he was here because Mo was awesome and it would have been foolish not to give him the ball. Taylor eclipsed 25 carries 3 times last year and each time it was in a game where he was at or just below 200 yards.

Nubin had 24 carries for 93 yards against Wisconsin late last year (not great but not terrible either) but it wasn't like we had many other RB options left on the roster. So maybe I am forgetting about the time Fleck has run an ineffective RB a ton like some of you love to contend.

I have no idea what time the fellas practice generally during times when school is not in session, but I’m going with the 6 AM practices causing these muscle strains. It’s harder to get loose first thing in the morning. Even if not, I would still make the business case if I was a player that’s too damn early to get up in the morning when you’re in college.

I have no idea what time the fellas practice generally during times when school is not in session, but I’m going with the 6 AM practices causing these muscle strains. It’s harder to get loose first thing in the morning. Even if not, I would still make the business case if I was a player that’s too damn early to get up in the morning when you’re in college.
Whatever they are doing is not working (in regards to avoiding injuries before the season freaking even starts).

Illinois lost a tight end of the season. Nebraska lost its starting left tackle for the season. Notre Dame lost its starting left tackle for the season. Texas A&M lost a key running back for the season. Oklahoma lost a starting receiver for the season. Tennessee lost a starting corner for the season. Florida lost a key d-tackle for the season. Texas lost its leading rusher and a freshman running back for the season.

Nothing you can do.

Am I correct this is his second go-round with a hamstring? Third? Same leg?

My guess is one of either the coach(es) or player tried to have him go full speed too soon. Even old farts try to do too much too soon after injury. Young guys and sometimes clueless coaches have to learn the hard way sometimes to allow sufficient rehab time and that can be a LONG time.

Obviously this is baseless speculation on my part. Throw your shoes.

Let's see how those other backs catch the ball short yardage. Both run and pass to RB as a run.

Top Bottom