Darius Taylor and Daniel Jackson dealing with injuries.

Don't worry. I'm sure it's nothing serious with Taylor. Like Lindenberg last year. Good news is, when Taylor finally is ready, Fleck will give him 37 carries in his first game to help ease him into the flow of things and we'll lose him for another 4 games. Not that he would ever do that (Again I mean).
Sarcasm is what we call minnesota optimism

This x100. If anybody is taking Fleck at face value on an injury, they likely haven’t been paying attention to the program. This may be a really minor injury, but Fleck's comments literally mean nothing.
Gotta look at the poster. MNVCGUY is a nice poster, but half of his posts contain the phrase "good lord" and then some expression about how people are over reacting to whatever the subject is. ;)

What does the RB depth chart look like this year? Who's back there?

RB's and WR's are finely-tuned athletes who are built for speed, for the most part. but that also means they can be more susceptible to pulled muscles, especially hamstrings.

it's ironic in light of Fleck's comments at B1G media day:

Darius Taylor, a running back, who I think arguably had one of the better seasons at running back, but he just didn't play a lot. In the off-season, Darius spent a lot of time getting to know his body, working with our sports science team, our nutritionists, our dieticians, our strength staff, our trainers, to make sure he has a really healthy 2024 and do everything he possibly can.

in other words, you can do all the right things, take every precaution, and players can still get injured. some athletes are just built differently than others. linemen generally don't pull hamstrings. but you wouldn't want a RB who is built like a lineman.

or to use a Pat Reusse quote: "you can't pull fat."

What does the RB depth chart look like this year? Who's back there?
A ton more depth this year but Taylor is really special.

We brought in the three transfers Major (got some run at Oklahoma), Bangura (really productive at Ohio) and Mangham (we are his 4th school, was productive at USF and decent as a FR at Colorado). We then also still have Nubin who had moments last year. We also have the FR.

So we do have a lot of depth, but IMO, Taylor is special. It's not easy for schools like the U to replace real playmakers.

They do, you just don't notice.
That's my point. Injuries happen to everyone, everywhere. You may be shocked to discover the Gophers aren't the only team in the nation to have guys get hurt in the preseason.

Jackson might be back soon. Taylor has some sort of hamstring injury. That kept him out last year. Nobody knows if it is a pull or a strain. Green missed all of spring and camp so far until yesterday which was his first day back. Some of the younger guys are hurt, like Hayden Schwartz again. Jerome Williams tore his Achilles and is out for the year. Driver is hurt again, not major.

Gotta look at the poster. MNVCGUY is a nice poster, but half of his posts contain the phrase "good lord" and then some expression about how people are over reacting to whatever the subject is. ;)
Fair, but in my defense there absolutely are people overreacting. I mean some of the replies in this thread basically have DT done for the year based on a note that he was icing his leg and Fleck saying it wasn't serious.

And I understand why people are skeptical of anything Fleck says about injuries because he rarely gives out specifics and he has underplayed injuries on guys in the past. But there is a lot of jumping to conclusions that goes on in these threads that gets way over the top based on little to no actual information.

Fair, but in my defense there absolutely are people overreacting. I mean some of the replies in this thread basically have DT done for the year based on a note that he was icing his leg and Fleck saying it wasn't serious.

And I understand why people are skeptical of anything Fleck says about injuries because he rarely gives out specifics and he has underplayed injuries on guys in the past. But there is a lot of jumping to conclusions that goes on in these threads that gets way over the top based on little to no actual information.
1723667287486.png

I’d argue that 10 years ago coaches would be much more candid regarding injuries, not less. We’d get a flavor for just how bad the injury was and how long the player would be out. Now, we get a vague description often suggesting “no big deal” and then the player goes on to miss half the season or more (see Lindenberg injury last season).
I guess I will defer to the masses as I don't remember Jerry Kill's staff ever giving detailed explanations of injuries for any of their players. I remember when Leidner was hurt and needed foot surgery and we pretty much found out about that a week after the season ended.

I guess I will defer to the masses as I don't remember Jerry Kill's staff ever giving detailed explanations of injuries for any of their players. I remember when Leidner was hurt and had foot surgery and we pretty much found out about after the surgery occured.
Yeah, sometimes we see a mediocre season out of a player only to find out they were battling an undisclosed injury all year. Hoping for the best for Jackson and Taylor, as they are really our 2 biggest studs on offense.

I guess I will defer to the masses as I don't remember Jerry Kill's staff ever giving detailed explanations of injuries for any of their players. I remember when Leidner was hurt and needed foot surgery and we pretty much found out about that a week after the season ended.
I do think coaches now are much more tight lipped about injuries (not just Fleck). Teams will give out the bare minimum to satisfy whatever requirements the conference has and not go much beyond that. There are always exceptions but I would be the number of coaches that give out little to no info on injuries is much higher than the ones that go into detail about them.

The unfortunate truth is this, we really won't know anything until two hours before kickoff on August 29th.

Fleck does have media availability next week but we all know that Fleck holds all injuries news/updates very close to the chest.

At this point, from what I am hearing, it would appear that Daniel Jackson should be ready for the UNC game.

Darius Taylor? We shall see.

Is it really surprising that news of injuries to our best offensive players is met with some expressions of concern, and maybe some MN sports gallows humor. We have absolutely no way of knowing how serious the injuries are. Fleck can be totally honest in stating Taylor’s hamstring isn’t a serious injury (in terms of being life-threatening) but oh yeah, he’ll be out till November. I would in no way ever expect PJ Fleck to be honest with me on player injury or prognosis or with, say, local headhunter Rochelle from the Star Tribune on nature, number, and reasons for player suspensions before a bowl game. A classic moment I’ll never forget.

Fleck getting fan base ready for Taylor and possibly Jackson (our offensive 1-2 punch) missing the UNC opener. Next man up. Go Gophers!

I think we should take the "Bull Durham" approach.

We need to sacrifice a live rooster to take the injury curse off the Gophers.

I’d argue that 10 years ago coaches would be much more candid regarding injuries, not less. We’d get a flavor for just how bad the injury was and how long the player would be out. Now, we get a vague description often suggesting “no big deal” and then the player goes on to miss half the season or more (see Lindenberg injury last season).
For good and for more bad, this is pretty much the result of the pervasive takeover of US sports by gambling.

If you follow world soccer at all, the leagues are so intertwined with the gambling concerns that you can't separate them. In some countries, the injury list is SPONSORED by gambling concerns. The managers don't give out ANY information that gets out unless a guy is done for the year.

If a coach is smart these days, you say the guy "has a knock" and walk away.

Last edited:

As a Gopher fan, I'll be shocked if the poor young man ever walks again until of course he has a miraculous recovery, transfers to Alabama and we get to watch his Bama highlights while he gets drafted in 2026.

good lord, I hadn't noticed that.

As a Gopher fan, I'll be shocked if the poor young man ever walks again until of course he has a miraculous recovery, transfers to Alabama and we get to watch his Bama highlights while he gets drafted in 2026.
Seems about right, but there is hope. On the basketball board there were posters convinced that Parker Fox would be lucky to be able to walk and would never play basketball again. He managed to do far more than that and even decided to come back for another year.....so there is hope that DT can somehow manage to find the courage and ability to get back out there on the field after what must have been a devastating that Fleck is hiding from all of us under the "nothing serious" label.

Today's Pair and a spare podcast, Ryan Burns said DT has a hamstring, was going to get some xrays after swelling goes down. Not sure how serious it is, but questions whether he'll be ready for UNC game. Burns says it could go from the "Darius Taylor" offense to the "Max Brosmer" offense.

Today's Pair and a spare podcast, Ryan Burns said DT has a hamstring, was going to get some xrays after swelling goes down. Not sure how serious it is, but questions whether he'll be ready for UNC game. Burns says it could go from the "Darius Taylor" offense to the "Max Brosmer" offense.

swelling and x-rays on a hammy are not good. Especially on a RB
Being a Minnesota Sports team, I would guess he's out 4-8 weeks

Must be talking about an MRI. An x ray of a hamstring is not going to show much.

Swelling from a hammy? Damn. Been there, done that. He'll be out a while. An OL could be back in a few weeks, but not an RB.

Top Bottom