Crawford

you can try to hide behind conference but at the end of the day you have to beat the "team".

What team lol?

Crawford was responsible for over half of your points. I can't take anything away from Xavier. It was a good win led by a very, very, good player.

But since that player will have to have that type of game for Xavier to advance far into the tournament, I don't like your chances in the next game.

Well done though Xavier. A serious hats off to you guys.

Crawford played like Superman just as Turner did the game before. In both games one player changed the entire dynamic of the game. My wish is that one of the Gophers can become that type of player. Devoe? Rodney?

Keep this objective.

- 9 of last 10 years made the NCAA tournament.
- 12+ tournament wins in those 9 years (the "+" being that X is still alive this yr.).
- 2 Elite Eight appearances in those 9 NCAA tourney appearances.
- 75% winning percentage in last decade which is top 15 in nation.
- 1 of 8 teams in the nation to win 25+ games each of past 4 years.
- I won't mention the conference championships because as I say conference means nothing as they are consistently under and over rated each year.

All in all that puts Xavier up there as one of the top 15 programs in the nation over the past decade. To me that means elite . . . to you maybe not. Now . . . on to hopefully get revenge on Pitt for last years sweet sixteen loss. When a "down" year means making the tournament and winning a few games all things are good with the program!

Did that clown say elite??? Bwaahahaha lmfao. Thats some good koolaid.

Keep this objective.

- 9 of last 10 years made the NCAA tournament.
- 12+ tournament wins in those 9 years (the "+" being that X is still alive this yr.).
- 2 Elite Eight appearances in those 9 NCAA tourney appearances.
- 75% winning percentage in last decade which is top 15 in nation.
- 1 of 8 teams in the nation to win 25+ games each of past 4 years.
- I won't mention the conference championships because as I say conference means nothing as they are consistently under and over rated each year.

All in all that puts Xavier up there as one of the top 15 programs in the nation over the past decade. To me that means elite . . . to you maybe not. Now . . . on to hopefully get revenge on Pitt for last years sweet sixteen loss. When a "down" year means making the tournament and winning a few games all things are good with the program!

Consistent and elite aren't synonyms. Go back to english 1001.

Also, 25+ games against WHO id wager your non-con schedule isnt much better than the gophers' which means its pretty pitiful. And your conference schedule. HA. you have 6-7 teams in your conference id wager that Iowa would take to task. Meanwhile minnesota has to play with multiple 'big boys' through the course of the year. Lets see xavier get 25+ wins after big ten conference play. then we'll talk about elite. 25+ wins in the big ten is michigan state winning the NCAA championship

Consistent and elite aren't synonyms. Go back to english 1001.

Also, 25+ games against WHO id wager your non-con schedule isnt much better than the gophers' which means its pretty pitiful. And your conference schedule. HA. you have 6-7 teams in your conference id wager that Iowa would take to task. Meanwhile minnesota has to play with multiple 'big boys' through the course of the year. Lets see xavier get 25+ wins after big ten conference play. then we'll talk about elite. 25+ wins in the big ten is michigan state winning the NCAA championship

Gophers OOC schedule rated 76th by www.kenpom.com but XU rated 9th.

Gophers OOC schedule rated 76th by www.kenpom.com but XU rated 9th.

ok fine i cede that, but if you look at the games they played, their only W's came against teams ranked well past 100 with two outlier wins over 68 and 83. Losing to marquette, butler, wake, and baylor, and getting embarassed by kansas state

then the conference schedule was actually 10x easier.

The extreme majority of Xavier fans we met in Milwaukee we're very nice and alot of fun to talk to and hang around, but as these two just further prove, every team has there share of idiots. It always amazes me how some fans get so worked up when they visit an opponents message board and are shocked and outraged when those fans have the nerve to think they might win the game.

Now run off and start checking the local Pittsburgh media so you guys can find some motivation for tomarrow's game.

"Elite" programs don't need to use some moron newspaper columnist to get up for a NCAA game.

somehow when I think of North Carolina, Duke, and Kansas, Xavier never comes to mind

somehow when I think of North Carolina, Duke, and Kansas, Xavier never comes to mind
"One of these things, is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong." Elite programs have to have multiple National Championship banners in their rafters. That means more than one. Zero is less than one. Try again, slowleak.

Reasons why Xavier isn't elite include the fact that coaches continuously use Xavier as a stepping stone program en route to bigger & better coaching jobs. Skip Prosser, Thad Matta & Sean Miller for example. This doesn't happen at elite programs. Xavier isn't elite because they play in the Atlantic 10 & haven't done enough out of the A-10. Since you play conference games in the A-10, a mid-major league, the only win totals that really matter is how many games you win in the NCAA tourney & first round wins don't really count for much in my book. Xavier made a couple elite 8 runs in the past 10 years, but when was the last time before 2003 that Xavier made such a run? Has Xavier ever been to the Final Four? I can't remember another Elite 8 or F4 run, and I doubt most college basketball fans could. Plus, when was the last time Xavier was a #1 or #2 seed in the NCAA tourney? I don't know if it's ever happened. Elite programs often get top seeds and actually make the Final Four occasionally. The highest seed I can remember Xavier having is (I think) a #3 back when David West was a SR, but then Xavier was badly beaten in the second round by Maryland I believe. Plus, Xavier generally doesn't pull in the best of the best in terms of recruits from Ohio (or anywhere else for that matter) - they're pretty much always getting the leftovers from what high major schools like OSU and UC don't take, and never get McDonald's All-Americans or 5-star recruits. David West was an unheralded prospect who only had offers from X and Marshall coming out of HS & he's by far their best player in recent memory. And it's not like a lot of X players make it on the next level - I believe they've had a grand total of two NBA draft picks the past 10 years - that sounds about right - Derrick Brown and David West. Elite programs have several former players in the NBA.

I hate to have to give props to a OSU fan (not really), but well, this just spells it out.

Let the tough guys from Xavier come on here and pound their chests. They were the better team on Friday. We play again, and the result might be different, but when it mattered they beat us. If these big shots want to come on the opponent's board and trot out "elite" stats that I'm sure they've memorized and recited in similar threads on fan boards across the nation, who cares. Just hope that they know that they are comically stupid and aren't impressing anyone but themselves and their 12-year-old buddies. Way to go, hotshots! I'll go warn the Pitt boards of the impending wrath if they are obtuse enough to predict their favorite team to win a game.

Heh, those 2 Xavier posters really got to you guys.

I thought about writing a long post pointing out OSUFan's errors (X's NBA draft picks came immediately to mind).

But really, who cares.

I like Minnesota. I visited the Mall of America when I was 7 and loved it. I'm a big fan of the movie Fargo. I loved the TV series "Coach".

I think it's officially time to end the Xavier/Minny feud.

Reasons why Xavier isn't elite include the fact that coaches continuously use Xavier as a stepping stone program en route to bigger & better coaching jobs. Skip Prosser, Thad Matta & Sean Miller for example. This doesn't happen at elite programs. Xavier isn't elite because they play in the Atlantic 10 & haven't done enough out of the A-10. Since you play conference games in the A-10, a mid-major league, the only win totals that really matter is how many games you win in the NCAA tourney & first round wins don't really count for much in my book. Xavier made a couple elite 8 runs in the past 10 years, but when was the last time before 2003 that Xavier made such a run? Has Xavier ever been to the Final Four? I can't remember another Elite 8 or F4 run, and I doubt most college basketball fans could. Plus, when was the last time Xavier was a #1 or #2 seed in the NCAA tourney? I don't know if it's ever happened. Elite programs often get top seeds and actually make the Final Four occasionally. The highest seed I can remember Xavier having is (I think) a #3 back when David West was a SR, but then Xavier was badly beaten in the second round by Maryland I believe. Plus, Xavier generally doesn't pull in the best of the best in terms of recruits from Ohio (or anywhere else for that matter) - they're pretty much always getting the leftovers from what high major schools like OSU and UC don't take, and never get McDonald's All-Americans or 5-star recruits. David West was an unheralded prospect who only had offers from X and Marshall coming out of HS & he's by far their best player in recent memory. And it's not like a lot of X players make it on the next level - I believe they've had a grand total of two NBA draft picks the past 10 years - that sounds about right - Derrick Brown and David West. Elite programs have several former players in the NBA.

XU may not be "elite" by your standards but they are an outstanding "mid major" basketball program.

Since 1985, Muskies have made 19 NCAA appearances (out of 26 possible). In 2000's, they made Elite 8 twice and Sweet 16 three times.

Since 1985, every Muskie senior has graduated with an XU degree. 100% of them.

The Muskies are the only non-BCS school to be included in the Top 20 Most Valuable basketball programs by Forbes magazine.

Xavier's best player Friday went by the name of "Dodd." Xavier is a joke, but it must be nice to go to school in California.

Jordan Crawford displayed an attitude from his first days at IU until the last that made every true IU fan cringe... Bob Knight would have never recruited him or put up with him for 5 minutes...it was a relief to me when he and the rest of Sampson's primos moved on...I'd rather pull for a 6-10 big ten team than an underachieving 3rd place finishing group of primadonnas any day....

and by the way Xavier is as close to elite as the Sahara is to the North pole...Minnesota will get there LONG before Xavier....everyone knows the Gophers and who Tubby is...who can name the Xavier coach and more importantly who cares???

I always find it odd when people complain about Crawford's attitude (I guess it stems from stuff from IU).

we have several X players who show too much attitude on the court and I don't like it. But Jordan Crawford is not one of them.

Jordan Crawford displayed an attitude from his first days at IU until the last that made every true IU fan cringe... Bob Knight would have never recruited him or put up with him for 5 minutes...it was a relief to me when he and the rest of Sampson's primos moved on...I'd rather pull for a 6-10 big ten team than an underachieving 3rd place finishing group of primadonnas any day....

and by the way Xavier is as close to elite as the Sahara is to the North pole...Minnesota will get there LONG before Xavier....everyone knows the Gophers and who Tubby is...who can name the Xavier coach and more importantly who cares???

I can (Chris Mack) but I went to HS with his Dad (Tom Mack).

Don't hate . . . my definition of elite is making the tournament and advancing beyond the first few rounds on an extremely consistent basis. And I agree Xavier certainly wasn't a top program 10+ years ago. But winning tourney games every year including making deep runs every other year (roughly) is something only the best programs do. I mean how many programs reach the sweet sixteen 4-5 times in a decade and the elite 8 . . . possibly 3 times in a decade . . . certainly not many.

Unfortunately coaches do use Xavier as a stepping stone for financial reasons but all that have moved on have had the same or less success after moving. Matta being the one guy that has been pretty succesful after moving on. Again though, the fact that the program is succesful year in and year out despite coaches leaving is even more of a reason that I say we are a top 15 program.

I'm a realist, I certainly agree that the A10 is not a top conference . . . I mean this year was a good year and it was 6th best in terms of RPI. However, Xavier plays a non conference schedule that results in a stronger SOS than 90% of teams in the so called "power" conferences. Xavier would join a better conference but the fact that we don't have a football team is a problem.

And by the way, I said nothing bad about Minnesota except for the fact that the program just isn't very good right now. How can you get pissed about that. Your program has what . . . 2 NCAA appearences in the past decade? That's not strong. If I were a fan I'd be pissed. I hated the Skip Prosser days at Xavier because the team was a joke . . . even when they made the tourney and were occasionally ranked they would lose in the first round.

On the draft pick . . . I think Chalmers and Sato were also drafted. Myles I believe was picked up after the draft but not drafted. Posey was probably in 2000 or so . . . probably more than 10 years ago. Crawford will certainly be another but hopefully not this year.

Don't hate . . . my definition of elite is making the tournament and advancing beyond the first few rounds on an extremely consistent basis. And I agree Xavier certainly wasn't a top program 10+ years ago. But winning tourney games every year including making deep runs every other year (roughly) is something only the best programs do. I mean how many programs reach the sweet sixteen 4-5 times in a decade and the elite 8 . . . possibly 3 times in a decade . . . certainly not many.

Unfortunately coaches do use Xavier as a stepping stone for financial reasons but all that have moved on have had the same or less success after moving. Matta being the one guy that has been pretty succesful after moving on. Again though, the fact that the program is succesful year in and year out despite coaches leaving is even more of a reason that I say we are a top 15 program.

I'm a realist, I certainly agree that the A10 is not a top conference . . . I mean this year was a good year and it was 6th best in terms of RPI. However, Xavier plays a non conference schedule that results in a stronger SOS than 90% of teams in the so called "power" conferences. Xavier would join a better conference but the fact that we don't have a football team is a problem.

And by the way, I said nothing bad about Minnesota except for the fact that the program just isn't very good right now. How can you get pissed about that. Your program has what . . . 2 NCAA appearences in the past decade? That's not strong. If I were a fan I'd be pissed. I hated the Skip Prosser days at Xavier because the team was a joke . . . even when they made the tourney and were occasionally ranked they would lose in the first round.

I appreciate the fact that you defined "elite", at least in your own mind. However, I still don't think Xavier is elite or anywhere near it. That's a place reserved for the North Carolinas, Kentuckys, Dukes, and Kansas' of the world. Sorry, but Xavier isn't anywhere close.

And then to top it off, you go on to plead your innocence regarding previous statements by saying Minnesota isn't strong, hasn't been strong in the past and that you would be pissed if you were a fan of Minnesota. Yeah, I can't figure out how anyone ever thought you said anything bad about Minnesota. :rolleyes:

So in closing, head back over to Musketeer world now and pat yourselves on the back for your "elite" basketball program. I'm sure there are plenty of folks over there who will agree with you.

Intersting posts in this thread - I do not believe that X is an elite program, but they have been a stronger program than MN over the past 10-12 years, no doubt about that.
X, IMO, is an elite mid-major program, but I agree with another poster about coaches using it as a stepping stone really makes it not an elite program. I don't think the U is either, IMO only MSU and Indiana are elite in the B10, top-end jobs amongst the 10 best in the country.
Xavier has been a very good program over the years, but IMO, not elite amongst D1 college programs.

Intersting posts in this thread - I do not believe that X is an elite program, but they have been a stronger program than MN over the past 10-12 years, no doubt about that.
X, IMO, is an elite mid-major program, but I agree with another poster about coaches using it as a stepping stone really makes it not an elite program. I don't think the U is either, IMO only MSU and Indiana are elite in the B10, top-end jobs amongst the 10 best in the country.
Xavier has been a very good program over the years, but IMO, not elite amongst D1 college programs.

XU had 5 coaches in past 25 years.

UK had 5 coaches in past 25 years.

How is that a reason to be a steppingstone?

My thought is that at X coaches leave after being very successful for "bigger" jobs, and that does not happen at UK. Maybe I am incorrect, but that is my perception.

Do you think if the Xavier coach is offered the Iowa, Seton Hall, or Oergon job he would take it? Maybe, maybe not, but no chance in hell the Kentucky Coach does. Tubby was an exception to the rule, IMO, and left for reasons other than getting a bigger job, IMO...

X coaches leave because they are good and get hired elsewhere

UK coaches leave because they get run out of town for not winning nat'l championships every year

Top Bottom