Cover Songs

One great MPLS band covering another. Trip Shakespeare clocking in with a Hüsker Dü fave from Grant.

Dead Set On Destruction

I do dig the cover but mostly just wanted to post something now that I figured out how to stylize the ü's with proper respect. Umlaut.

Last edited:

Bill Janovitz covering Husker Du/Bob Mould, Hardly Getting Over It:

A more current version (plus video) of Bill Janovitz (w/ Mike Gent) covering Hüsker Dü /Mould's Hardly Getting Over It.

One great MPLS band covering another. Trip Shakespeare clocking in with a Hüsker Dü fave from Grant.

Dead Set On Destruction

I do dig the cover but mostly just wanted to post something now that I figured out how to stylize the ü's with proper respect. Umlaut.
Never heard this!!
Thanks.

Juliana Hatfield just owns the Rolling Stones classic.

It's Only Rock and Roll

One of my favorites. If P!nk promises to do this here, I will go to her concert!!!!

Is it a cover if you wrote the song?

Interesting debate, given how popular Adele made it. "Re-covered" as Dan Wilson termed seems totally appropriate.

Along the same line, here's Gary Louris with a tune he wrote that Dixie Chicks recorded.

Everybody Knows

In 1989 I scored really good seats to the R.E.M. tour for Green at Met Center. I was the 9th caller into KQ, some really late night studying for a midterm or writing a paper.

Lower bowl, on the Mike Mills side, close enough that I could see Bob Mould lurking in the wings. His queue to join them for a cameo was the encore. The song was by Television, See No Evil.

Here's the band playing it a few years prior.

RIP Tom Verlaine.

If I have posted this before, I Apologize. Here's the Foo Fighters covering Hüsker Dü.

Never Talking To You Again

Audio only, but here's some Hüsker Foo, from 2002. Grohl recalls how much the band means to him as he's waiting for Grant to join the stage at 1st Ave.

Never Talking to You Again (Again)

Where else would he be if he was in town?

Phoebe Bridgers covering the The Replacements.

Here Comes a Regular

Jeff Tweedy covering the Beatles (audio only).

I'm Only Sleeping

Here's Eddie Vedder fresh off the YouTube playing my favorite song off of the U2 Joshua Tree album.

In God's Country

I'm envious of Bleed.

A certain poster in the Overrated Bands thread had me thinking of this song, which is definitely not overrated. R.E.M covering Velvet Underground, Pale Blue Eyes.

I've already expressed how much I adore the band 'Failure'. They also put out a covers album in the mid-90s under the name 'Replicants'. Maintained a lot of the same 'Failure' sounds....which made it awesome.

'The Bewlay Brothers' originally by David Bowie. A fantastic cover. The entire album is worth listening to.

They have an awesome cover of 'Waiting Room' by Fugazi too. It's not on youtube.

Last edited:

The entire Joni Mitchell/Gershwin Prize show on PBS is definitely worth seeking out. Several really special moments and a few even worth shedding a tear.

Here's Annie Lennox with her tribute of Both Sides Now.

BIg Yellow Taxi
group performance with a triumphic closer.

I'm hard pressed to think of a better Beatles cover.

Richie Havens - Here Comes the Sun

At 26 Stevie Ray Vaughan was already an old soul. Captured in his Austin element, this footage from 1980 is phenomenal for this Elmore James cover, in the style of Albert King. It would later get proper studio treatment.

SRV & Double Trouble / The Sky is Crying

I didn't post this earlier, because it requires an extra step, but the Joni Mitchell Gershwin Tribute got off to a rousing start with Marcus Mumford performing Carey. It's perhaps my favorite song in her catalog, he does it justice.

He's gotten to be part of all star jams at Mitchell's house through mutual friend Brandi Carlisle (who sings backup on this).

I didn't get what I presume was an inside joke until it just dawned on me while posting in another thread about the film Inside Llewyn Davis. His wife's named CAREY Mulligan. Her parents must have been really into Blue.

I wish the Boss had played this at the Xcel a couple of months ago, but oh well. Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit with Atlantic City.

I enjoy this group. They play in the NY subway. A lot of fun

Really like this group. They're from Russia but tour over here. Mainly cover Chicago and EW&F, a few others as well.
Really good.

Last edited:

Dinah Shore, "Dandy" Don Meredeth and Norman Fell (Mr Roper) is quite a daytime TV party. Here they are introducing Jerry Jeff Walker playing L.A. Freeway.

Not the greatest video quality, perhaps first generation VCR, but it sounds fine in a time capsule sort of manner.

Sammy Davis Jr.

Mr. Bojangles

Top Bottom