Cover Songs

As much as I like Buddy Holly and this tune, when I think of this song it's the Rolling Stones version that plays in my head. Sorry Dad.

This video is funny to think that there was a time when the band members needed to introduce themselves.

Not Fade Away

When I think of the Grateful Dead covering it, no doubt one of their most prolific covers, it's hardly recognizable. Still great. Pack a lunch though to make it through the whole thing. Nearly a 5 minute intro.

Last edited:

"Silence Is Golden" was originally done by the Four Seasons, but the Tremeloes did a better version. Also, the Vogues did a cover version of Petula Clark's "You're the One." Tremeloes

Sure, a blue moon is gearing up for August; but with tonight's super moon why wait?. Here's a couple of versions of Rodgers and Harts "Blue Moon" (1934). First up is Billie Holiday followed by the Marcels.

How about a piano version.
I love this.

Ben Lee & Georgia Maq covering local legends, The Replacements. Lee's bride, Ione Skye, directed the video.

Androgynous

Dinah Shore, "Dandy" Don Meredeth and Norman Fell (Mr Roper) is quite a daytime TV party. Here they are introducing Jerry Jeff Walker playing L.A. Freeway.

Not the greatest video quality, perhaps first generation VCR, but it sounds fine in a time capsule sort of manner.

Todd Snider covering Jerry Jeff Walker covering Guy Clark with LA Freeway.

Bonus. Vinyl Records.

Amazing tribute with Joni Mitchell in the house giving her seal of approval, Richard Thompson covering Woodstock.

Just heard this one for the first time today, crazy enough. Hanoi Rocks covering the CCR classic "Up Around The Bend"

Very tastefully done remake of "Carry On Wayward Son" by none other than Anthrax

Very VERY surprised that nobody posted this yet, or at least I didn't see it.

Five Finger Death Punch covering the classic "Bad Company"

I never liked this Chris Isaac song "Wicked Game", but I have to admit this remake by a band I've never heard of ("HIM"), is a really great song, infinitely better than Isaac's original.

Motorhead released this David Bowie classic a few years back. Ironically enough, David Bowie died two weeks after Motorhead's legendary front man, Lemmy Kilmeister, both in the same month as Glenn Frey as well. Tough month in music history!

I can't be the only one that can't think of anything else when hearing Bowie's "Heroes" other than the Keanu Reeves movie "The Replacements"?

Korn, remaking "Word Up" from Cameo. Okay, this one is visually a little f'd up, but if you're just listening, it's a cool version

Michael Stipe covering Sinead O'Connor.

The Last Day of Our Acquaintance

Last edited:

Best cover ever. Susanna Hoffs taking on Bad Company with Feel Like Makin' Love.

Holy smokeshow.

"Day of the Doug" is the title of Son Volt's tribute album in honor of Doug Sahm. This is the lead track which has also been serving at the show opener on their current tour.

Sometimes You've Got to Stop Chasing Rainbows

For even the most casual Jimmy Buffett fans, this CSN cover shows why it was so easy to get swept up in the Parrothead vibe.

Southern Cross

I was glad it was played at both the Target Center/Field shows I saw, even though the Minneapolis skyline does not quite create the same backdrop as the coast off Newport, RI. Understatement.

Tweedy family covering the Replacements, Achin' to Be

Jay Farrar has been covering this Waylon Jennings song back to his Uncle Tupelo roots. Here's a Son Volt version.

Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?

Jay Farrar has been covering this Waylon Jennings song back to his Uncle Tupelo roots. Here's a Son Volt version.

As much of a fan as I am of the Smiths/Morrissey, he's not an artist that would have entered my mind as covering the Waylon Jennings song as well. But indeed he has for several years.

There are lots of fan videos out there too, but I don't think the audio quality really does Morrisey's vocals justice. The crowds love it though.

Michael Shannon and Jason Narducy clocking in with REM.

Radio Free Europe

Last edited:

Back in the day, I used to see Pirner refuse to keep playing if someone in the audience had their phone out. I guess he's mellowed or realized it's a futile battle.

Soul Asylum with guest Tommy Stinson played the Soft Boys classic last week.

I Wanna Destroy You

Thanks

I was just watching a different channel called Sunday Mornings yesterday. Both of the girls are on it.

All four of the videos I posted are from a tight group of excellent musicians and singers who have popular youtube channels where they have posted numerous cover songs with many of them getting millions of views. They first met each other on-line and became good friends. They have toured together in the U.S. and Europe playing their cover songs along with original songs they have written. And most of them have released albums which include their original songs. I first discovered the Sunday Mornings girls a couple of months ago. They used to live in Minnesota but they moved to California during the pandemic.

Last edited:

All four of the videos I posted are from a tight group of excellent musicians and singers who have popular youtube channels where they have posted numerous cover songs with many of them getting millions of views. They first met each other on-line and became good friends. They have toured together in the U.S. and Europe playing their cover songs along with original songs they have written. And most of them have released albums which include their original songs. I first discovered the Sunday Mornings girls a couple of months ago. They used to live in Minnesota but they moved to California during the pandemic.
No idea they were from or lived in MN.

Top Bottom