Confernce Realignment Chaos is Here!!!!!! (maybe ... probabbly not) (Rumor Texas and OK reach out to SEC about joining)

ND, UVA, OU, UT.

Expansion sucks, but those are the schools to grab. If you can't get UVA, then move west and grab a California school. The Pac 12 is weak, and getting UCLA, USC or Stanford would be huge.
Like a zombie I crave brains....

But I'm not sure PAC is super weak as far as teams wanting to leave. They've got a new dude running the show, if they can get their TV deal / network fixed they'll be fine.

I'd expect the Big Ten to counter offer Texas and Oklahoma, whether it actually goes through is another thing.
That is also a possibility. I do think there are definitely some with both Texas & Oklahoma that would prefer the B10. The geography proximity probably is the biggest obstacle. Also perhaps culture? I think Texas would be more the worry about that than Oklahoma.

I think SEC would be the favorite, but the B10 could compete for sure. Perhaps FOX tells the B10 to offer the moon & they'll make it worth everyone's effort? FOX vs. ESPN a factor in this as well....

That is also a possibility. I do think there are definitely some with both Texas & Oklahoma that would prefer the B10. The geography proximity probably is the biggest obstacle. Also perhaps culture? I think Texas would be more the worry about that than Oklahoma.

I think SEC would be the favorite, but the B10 could compete for sure. Perhaps FOX tells the B10 to offer the moon & they'll make it worth everyone's effort? FOX vs. ESPN a factor in this as well....
Right, if this is mostly a money thing, the B10 can compete with the SEC. Whether the B10 schools would want OK and UT is another thing. It really depends on if OK and UT are just trying to leave the Big 12 for somewhere with more money/better competition or if they are dead set on the SEC. In one scenario the B10 can go toe to toe if they want, in the other its probably not worth it and you make a play for some other schools in the chance the Big 12 completely dissolves.

I could see the B10 going for ND and UVA, just a matter of if they can convince ND as they have a lot of ties to the ACC in other sports.

You can remove the “(maybe … probably not)” from the thread title.

UT and OU will be sending a letter to the Big XII next week that they won’t be re-upping with whatever the conference is able to negotiate for its new TV deal after 2025:

This all but guarantees the two will not be members of the Big XII moving forward.

It only remains to be seen if A&M can rally support to block the SEC from adding them.

Either way, the Big Ten needs to be prepared to set its very best offer down on the table for two schools:
a) UT + OU, if the block is successful
b) offer A&M + Mizzou to switch, otherwise

Gonna be juicy to watch unfold.

^^ the rumor is that FOX and ESPN have let it be known that they are not going to keep providing Power conf level money to the Big XII moving forward, and have told UT and OU that they need to load-in elsewhere if they want to keep pace.

Hence why this is happening

You can remove the “(maybe … probably not)” from the thread title.

UT and OU will be sending a letter to the Big XII next week that they won’t be re-upping with whatever the conference is able to negotiate for its new TV deal after 2025:

This all but guarantees the two will not be members of the Big XII moving forward.

It only remains to be seen if A&M can rally support to block the SEC from adding them.

Either way, the Big Ten needs to be prepared to set its very best offer down on the table for two schools:
a) UT + OU, if the block is successful
b) offer A&M + Mizzou to switch, otherwise

Gonna be juicy to watch unfold.
I believe I saw a tweet that at the moment it doesn't seem like there will be a problem getting the 11 teams needed to approve the move, but that could change. I wonder if we should read into the fact that they didn't say where they intend to go? Or maybe they are just being cautious as the SEC deal could not go through, which at that point I can't see them not landing in the Big 10

Oklahoma has always wanted to join the SEC. This is the final chapter in the 16-year story of the mighty fall of Longhorns football.

LET THE POPCORN BEGIN!! THE TEXAS LEGISLATURE IS HERE TO SAVE THE DAY!!!!

(not clear if this will lead to anything...)

Obviously the Big 12 can't survive without Texas and OK. If this happens does the Big Ten look to expand to 16?
Irish and Stanford. Yes, no doubt slim to no chance but they would be my picks. I always thought Okla/Okla St were a package deal so keeping that game yearly would have to be part of any successful deal, I would think.

I'd expect the Big Ten to counter offer Texas and Oklahoma, whether it actually goes through is another thing.
Just go to 18 and pull in the Irish and Stanford. :)

Right, if this is mostly a money thing, the B10 can compete with the SEC. Whether the B10 schools would want OK and UT is another thing. It really depends on if OK and UT are just trying to leave the Big 12 for somewhere with more money/better competition or if they are dead set on the SEC. In one scenario the B10 can go toe to toe if they want, in the other its probably not worth it and you make a play for some other schools in the chance the Big 12 completely dissolves.

I could see the B10 going for ND and UVA, just a matter of if they can convince ND as they have a lot of ties to the ACC in other sports.
I don't see UVA happening. And they would be under tremendous pressure to force the B1G to let them bring VT with them if they did. Perhaps a 4 team expansion: UVa, VT, ND and Mizzou.

I don't see UVA happening. And they would be under tremendous pressure to force the B1G to let them bring VT with them if they did. Perhaps a 4 team expansion: UVa, VT, ND and Mizzou.
From what I read, nobody in the ACC is a real possibility unless they’re willing to take a huge hit financially because of their contracts running until 2035 or 36

It will be interesting to see what the remaining schools do. Will they bring in new teams to fill up the membership or will the remaining schools be scrambling to find new homes of their own?

If I were a member of BT presidents board or Kevin Werren. I would just add the whole Pac 12 minus WSU and OSU. Then make offers to ND, KU, OU and UT that they cant refuse. Split the league to two. East and West. Imagine the amount of money these schools can grab. That will be ultimate checkmate to SEC.
Three permanent rivals for each team. 3 games from West if the team is in Western Division. Plus 3 games from East.
I would love to be at LA, Oregon or Austin away games.

"forty acres" - interesting choice of words. I would have used something different....
The "Forty Acres" is just what people in Texas call the UT campus--something about the initial land grant for the institution. It is used by some in a perjorative way to describe the arrogance of the university and the people who run it.

If I were a member of BT presidents board or Kevin Werren. I would just add the whole Pac 12 minus WSU and OSU. Then make offers to ND, KU, OU and UT that they cant refuse. Split the league to two. East and West. Imagine the amount of money these schools can grab. That will be ultimate checkmate to SEC.
Three permanent rivals for each team. 3 games from West if the team is in Western Division. Plus 3 games from East.
I would love to be at LA, Oregon or Austin away games.
Yeah I personally think this is the big ten endgame:

Two conferences under 1 media deal.

The (big and pac) “Ten” conference

Add maybe 2 teams or 4 teams or 6 teams.
best 8 options would be:
Texas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Florida State
Georgia tech
North carolina
Virginia
Notre Dame

Break into 4 divisions of 7 or 8 teams.
Play your division (7 games), then 4 games against another rotating division. The two divisions that match up against each other that year meet in one of two conference title games. One buy game cupcake

It will be interesting to see what the remaining schools do. Will they bring in new teams to fill up the membership or will the remaining schools be scrambling to find new homes of their own?
I'm not sure there's anyone the B12 could reasonably add that would make them a power football conference after losing Texas and Oklahoma. Houston? Cincinnati? UCF? It's basically best of the American + remnants of the B12. And that's not going to be enough to get good media money, which means teams that have something to offer are going to be scrambling for sure.

The "Forty Acres" is just what people in Texas call the UT campus--something about the initial land grant for the institution. It is used by some in a perjorative way to describe the arrogance of the university and the people who run it.
Thanks for the explanation...I followed up until that word, but I think I got the gist of it.

I'm not sure there's anyone the B12 could reasonably add that would make them a power football conference after losing Texas and Oklahoma. Houston? Cincinnati? UCF? It's basically best of the American + remnants of the B12. And that's not going to be enough to get good media money, which means teams that have something to offer are going to be scrambling for sure.
Hell I could see Kansas dropping football and move to the Big East if that happens.

TX and OK contacted the SEC about joining. The SEC then discussed it with their members, and TA&M leaked it to rally others against Texas joining.

But we have no context. There is likely a whole lot going on behind the scenes that we know nothing about. We are only hearing about what TA&M wanted us to know about.

TX and OK contacted the SEC about joining. The SEC then discussed it with their members, and TA&M leaked it to rally others against Texas joining.

But we have no context. There is likely a whole lot going on behind the scenes that we know nothing about. We are only hearing about what TA&M wanted us to know about.
Not like Texas and OK can't say anything ...

Woah how do you have a coference where the member's don't all know they're expanding until the end?
In order to prevent A&M from having time to rally opposition to the vote, get politicians involved, etc.

Big Ten needs to lay the best offer it can possibly muster to Texas A&M. Today.

Full share of conference distribution, from day 1.

They have to outright disgusted.

Me personally, I'd - at least - give the same offer to Missouri. But if you're going to add Missouri, then you want the KU-MU series to be in-house too.

And if you want an even number of members, I selfishly would add Iowa State as well.

That's 18 members. If you want divisions in football, you can do three groups of 6. You play the five teams in your division. Necessary rivalries (Iowa-Minn, for example) can all be worked out.

Texas A&M
Missouri
Kansas
Iowa St
Nebraska
Iowa

Minnesota
Wisconsin
NW
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana

Mich
Mich St
Ohio St
Penn St
Maryland
Rutgers

OR, the much simpler and probably better way is to just go divisionless, with X number of protected rivalry games every year, and just take the top 2 ranked teams for the conf champ game.

Last edited:

Hell I could see Kansas dropping football and move to the Big East if that happens.
Wouldn't drop football. It would go independent, ala BYU.

This is what UConn is doing. I could see West Virginia joining them, frankly.

Better to give the "semblance" of still being a P-like program, by not directly tying yourself to an obviously non-P conference and then scheduling as many P programs as you can.

There used to be quite a few independent power programs in the Eastern timezone. Penn St, Florida St, Pitt, West Virginia ... I think quite a lot of them were a few decades ago.

Joe Paterno had a dream to lasso all the big ones into a power East conference for a long time. They finally did it, but Penn St of course joined the Big Ten.

Houston and Cincy would be the best adds, to get back to 10.

Frankly, those are two great programs on the court and on the field. Just won't get P level money anymore, and probably will be treated similarly by the media and public as the American conf.

Top Bottom