Confernce Realignment Chaos is Here!!!!!! (maybe ... probabbly not) (Rumor Texas and OK reach out to SEC about joining)

Someone on here talked about the NDSU Bison jumping past the FBS-G5 and picked up by one of the P5 teams.

If so where are the articles on this?

Regardless, this is why it was smart to set the new playoff up with simply the six highest rated conf champs, rather than set particular conf champs in stone.

At this time their are only 5 P5 teams. So are you talking about picking up the top ranked FBS-G5 team that won their conference? ( Most likely from the AAC LIKE UCF) That means including 1 top ranked G5 conference winner. I think the NCAA should pick up 2 of the highest ranked P5 schools that didn't when their conference. 8 teams are plenty if you add the top 2 teams that didn't when their conferences.

As I stated before, the top 4 teams play play the bottom 4 teams on their home field to insure a full stadium and TV coverage. The final 4 games are played in a bowl rotation.

Last edited:

Hmm

Attachments

• 0FF7A902-0772-406A-97A3-703D39095E63.png
    0FF7A902-0772-406A-97A3-703D39095E63.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 61

I'll believe that once multiple sources confirm, so many rumors at the moment that you can't tell which are fake and which are real.
This one is fake, given the source

It is going to be tough for the Big Ten to ever expand in a way that makes it likely to get a comparable per-school payout as the SEC (with Oklahoma and Texas).

To do so would probably require adding Notre Dame and 6-8 of the best from the PAC 12.

From there, I think the SEC adds a division of 8 from the ACC just to lock-down the South.

That makes 2 conferences of 24 teams each that will hate each other as much as the AFC and NFC used to.

Sorry for the late response on this one.

They increased their share of revenue from the Big XII by 50% in just the last 3 days:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-oklahoma-as-enticement-not-to-leave-for-sec/
I see your point here. It was a fair point to make, at the time you were making it. And thanks for backing it up with the link. (y)

Technically, it's always possible that something like this could still happen, with the delay to 2025 and so on.

I doubt it will happen, but it is possible.

I think it's far more likely the two schools, the conf, and ESPN will come to a mutually beneficial settlement.
- Texas and OU want to leave for the SEC as soon as possible, while not paying extravagant/vengeful fees/penalties
- ESPN wants some kind of discount on the final years of its deal with the Big XII, seeing that Texas and OU are likely to be replaced with schools like Houston and Cincinnati/Memphis/etc
- the Big XII knows it can't realistically stop the schools from leaving, nor stop from losing its place as a P conf, but it wants to get as much for itself as it can while being able to move on in a way that puts it in the best possible position as it can.

This is more than any SEC school has ever received.
Not for long.

It is going to be tough for the Big Ten to ever expand in a way that makes it likely to get a comparable per-school payout as the SEC (with Oklahoma and Texas).

To do so would probably require adding Notre Dame and 6-8 of the best from the PAC 12.

From there, I think the SEC adds a division of 8 from the ACC just to lock-down the South.

That makes 2 conferences of 24 teams each that will hate each other as much as the AFC and NFC used to.
I don't see any way that even a combined Big Ten/PAC can get the same per school as the SEC+UT/OU.

Viewership up north and especially out west just is not comparable to viewership down south, for CFB. That's just the fact of the matter.

Unless FOX is willing to pay just to pay ... but they're not going to get the same ROI on it as ESPN. That's just the unfortunate truth of it. Games on ESPN networks get higher viewership than games on FOX networks. Casual people know ESPN and find it easier to get to those channels, it seems.

Interesting thoughts on why Kansas won't get a B1G offer. football, Football, FOOTBALL!

The Big Ten’s 12 longest-standing league members got $54.3 million in 2020. If Kansas were to join the Big Ten, the risk would be that games involving Kansas football would get terrible ratings — I can see it now: Kansas at Rutgers, coming up next on ESPN+ — thus lowering the value of those games to networks and decrease the annual payouts to B1G members.

The problem with this thinking is that the Tier 1 rights holder is not purchasing every game that we'd have in our conf home game inventory. They're just purchasing the rights to the best, highest viewership games.

KU vs MU could be a thing again, one day. When played in Lawrence, that would be a Big Ten game that should generate some decent viewership in KS and MO. For example. The T1 rights holder can grab that game, and then doesn't have to grab any more KU home games.

I don't think adding KU increases the money per school, no. But I think it reasonable for the Big Ten to ask to get the same money per school.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...y-votes-invite-texas-oklahoma-join-conference

SEC unanimously votes to invite Texas, Oklahoma; Big 12's Bob Bowlsby 'disappointed'

The 14 SEC presidents and chancellors voted unanimously on Thursday to extend invitations to Big 12 co-founders Oklahoma and Texas to join the league, leaving one final formality before the deal is done: OU and Texas have to officially accept the offer, which could happen as soon as Friday.

"Today's unanimous vote is both a testament to the SEC's longstanding spirit of unity and mutual cooperation, as well as a recognition of the outstanding legacies of academic and athletic excellence established by the Universities of Oklahoma and Texas,'' SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said.

The board of regents for both Texas and Oklahoma have scheduled separate special meetings Friday morning in which athletic conference membership will be discussed. Oklahoma's regents will meet in Oklahoma City, and Texas' regents will meet via conference call.

The next step is to determine when the move will become a reality and what happens to the eight schools left behind. On Monday, Texas and Oklahoma issued a joint statement saying they intend to remain in the Big 12 through June 30, 2025, when the current Big 12 media rights deal expires, but it's possible the schools could attempt to exit sooner. Each university would have to pay a penalty of at least $75 million to $80 million to break that agreement -- or hope that the Big 12 dissolves before the contract expires.

Interesting thoughts on why Kansas won't get a B1G offer. football, Football, FOOTBALL!

No mention of the TV market.

And I'm not sure you can really survive if you ONLY add great football teams. At some point someone is going to take the losses and not be a big name football team anymore....

No mention of the TV market.

And I'm not sure you can really survive if you ONLY add great football teams. At some point someone is going to take the losses and not be a big name football team anymore....
Because TV markets aren't going to matter nearly as much in the streaming era as they did 10 years ago or so. And KU actually isn't a bad TV market under the old ways of viewership, because you get Wichita, which is a larger market than Des Moines, and you get Kansas City, which is a very good sized market.

Because TV markets aren't going to matter nearly as much in the streaming era as they did 10 years ago or so. And KU actually isn't a bad TV market under the old ways of viewership, because you get Wichita, which is a larger market than Des Moines, and you get Kansas City, which is a very good sized market.
That's what the PAC thought.

Cost them hundreds of millions of dollars or more.

CFB is a regional thing for most teams ... eyeballs matter and that's where the money is no matter if you call it 'streaming' or 'tv markets'.

Streaming might temporarily change it. It might also end up just like cable, where YouTube/Hulu/Fubo offers BTN in the B1G footprint on its basic package, but you have to pay extra if you live outside of the footprint. I'd actually consider that likely. Just as we've seen the prices creep up towards cable as well.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...y-votes-invite-texas-oklahoma-join-conference

SEC unanimously votes to invite Texas, Oklahoma; Big 12's Bob Bowlsby 'disappointed'

The 14 SEC presidents and chancellors voted unanimously on Thursday to extend invitations to Big 12 co-founders Oklahoma and Texas to join the league, leaving one final formality before the deal is done: OU and Texas have to officially accept the offer, which could happen as soon as Friday.

"Today's unanimous vote is both a testament to the SEC's longstanding spirit of unity and mutual cooperation, as well as a recognition of the outstanding legacies of academic and athletic excellence established by the Universities of Oklahoma and Texas,'' SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said.

The board of regents for both Texas and Oklahoma have scheduled separate special meetings Friday morning in which athletic conference membership will be discussed. Oklahoma's regents will meet in Oklahoma City, and Texas' regents will meet via conference call.

The next step is to determine when the move will become a reality and what happens to the eight schools left behind. On Monday, Texas and Oklahoma issued a joint statement saying they intend to remain in the Big 12 through June 30, 2025, when the current Big 12 media rights deal expires, but it's possible the schools could attempt to exit sooner. Each university would have to pay a penalty of at least $75 million to $80 million to break that agreement -- or hope that the Big 12 dissolves before the contract expires.
I'm surprised Texas A&M voted to invite as well. When this initially came out they seemed pretty against it since they would no longer be "The only Texas team in the SEC". Perhaps after some thought they decided they liked the fact that the rivalry could become yearly again, and feel pretty confident they could dominate it?

I'm surprised Texas A&M voted to invite as well. When this initially came out they seemed pretty against it since they would no longer be "The only Texas team in the SEC". Perhaps after some thought they decided they liked the fact that the rivalry could become yearly again, and feel pretty confident they could dominate it?
Pretty wild seesaw.

I would have assumed that the other SEC teams would have been "yeah we get it, vote no, that's fine" and everyone moved on. Didn't think A&M would bother to vote differently than they indicated.

Ouch Big12 :cry:

Oklahoma president Joseph Harroz gave a lengthy speech about why the Sooners are making this move. He said it was clear the Big 12 had become “last in line” when it came to the other Power 5 conferences.

It sucks TX and OU picked SEC over B1G. B1G now needs to get a major team such as USC, Oregon, ND, x2 to make up. I also don’t believe Kevin Warren is the man to lead that as he has shown he is a complete failure to this point

I'm not sure what the B1G is supposed to do.

Texas and Oklahoma don't want to be in the B1G ... if they had they would have asked to be in it.

Beyond that what do you do? Get into a bidding war and tell them you'll give them more money than everyone else?

That's how you win the battle but in doing so possibly lose the war ...

Top Bottom